grand cherokee transmission puzzle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2021, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
2004jeep55555

grand cherokee transmission puzzle

picked up a 2004 grand cherokee laredo.. it has 180k on it (one family owned and sat for a year before i bought it)and ran fine/shifted ,etc when i test drove it .. ive had it sitting for about a month while i worked on it in my spare time.. i sucked almost a gallon out of the fill tube and when i went to drop the pan (looked like it was never touched) it had another gallon in it .. the fluid is dark, but oddly didnt smell burnt.. it had plenty on metal on the magnet and a odd piece of metal also.. could the converter have drained the extra gallon while it was sitting? or was adding the extra fluid a way to hide a bad transmission to sell it? also does that look like the original filter?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7160.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2021, 08:08 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004jeep55555 View Post
picked up a 2004 grand cherokee laredo.. it has 180k on it (one family owned and sat for a year before i bought it)and ran fine/shifted ,etc when i test drove it .. ive had it sitting for about a month while i worked on it in my spare time.. i sucked almost a gallon out of the fill tube and when i went to drop the pan (looked like it was never touched) it had another gallon in it .. the fluid is dark, but oddly didnt smell burnt.. it had plenty on metal on the magnet and a odd piece of metal also.. could the converter have drained the extra gallon while it was sitting? or was adding the extra fluid a way to hide a bad transmission to sell it? also does that look like the original filter?
Look carefully for a date on the filter. After I purchased my 04, I wanted to replace all fluids and filters. When I dropped the transmission pan, the Mopar filter had a date like 2007 or 2008, so I know the previous owner had it changed at some point.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2021, 06:36 AM
wranglertec

On top of the filter picture there part of a snap ring. That appears to be from the direct clutch pack in the overdrive housing. Very common failure point of this transmission. Take your vehicle to a transmission shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2021, 10:16 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I would service it and then baby it and keep driving. I think a lot of us are driving around with broken snap rings.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-13-2021, 08:42 AM
Mr. Bitey

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
I would service it and then baby it and keep driving. I think a lot of us are driving around with broken snap rings.
I had a hunk of snapple ring about the same size when I dropped the pan when I purchased my current WJ, 03/2020; 152k mi; torque manager delete; B&M trans cooler. It is close to 180k today and I beat the living snot out her. With a blown NV247 georotor pump, I have melted more than a few sets of rear tires to the cords (Yes, I am a burnout loving child and can't help myself). She still hits all 5 gears just fine, including the 1.50 2nd prime kickdown gear and never slips. Also note, while the RFE trans is pretty bullet proof up to 400hp, I have blown up several - each more glorious than the last. But again, I am a gear and/or meat headed child that can't stay off the loud pedal and always has projects in progress. Another blown trans would just become another one of those projects.....

Of course I don't recommend the OP beat the snot out his trans, I am an idiot. Listen to snowbuggy - service and just drive it. The RFE has 3 input clutches and 3 holding clutches plus 2 filters - she's stronger than you think. She'll let you know when she's had enough.....

2004 WJ, 4.7 N, daily driver.
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (in progress)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (trailer queen, 9.466et @ 144mph)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)

Last edited by Mr. Bitey; 10-14-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in