Grand Cherokee advice - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 07-18-2021, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
wendal

Grand Cherokee advice

Hello all. I am new here. I do not currently own a Jeep. My daily driver is a F350. I am looking for something that does better on gas and has a better ride. I have been doing some research. I think I want a grand Cherokee 99-04, inline 6 with the select tract transfer case. Not the full time 4x4. So for a daily driver and most likely weekend toy. What do you think? Would something fit the bill better? The reason I arrived at this model is. Dependability somewhat cheap. I would like to add a budget lift. Maybe wheels and a cool bumper. Anyways thanks for your advice….

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-18-2021, 04:18 PM
anotherheep

My Ram 2500 V10 gets about 9 mpg and my 99 GC gets about 19. Great investment lol
post #3 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Look at the comprehensive WJ buyer's guide post.
It is a sticky on this forum.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.

post #4 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 08:58 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
well if the f350 was just a DD that was never needed to be a real truck, IE a 8 foot bed and towing over 10k. My 96 f250 gets near 18 mpg at 65 its a 2x4 a DD and long haul its got near 200k today. wifes 2003 4x4 excursion on 35s gets 17 and that thing has 265,000 miles. can out tow any jeep and its a Suv too. But it is well tuned and has a ton of after market stuff. before i geared it to 4.30 it was 3.73 and it did near 19 mpg at 75. but would never tow in over drive. so the gear change. both are 7.3s.

those older Selectric track tend to as the age the viscus clutch goes south. many just go back to the old part time. 4.0 is a good block but getting 18 with larger tires is not going to get 18. as you add weight and bling.

Biggest issue will be rust, they are a uni body so when they rot the whole body is structural. If the plan is to keep this until ICE become like the horse and buggy. THat might be sooner then many know if the present pace continues. Rust free, the rest is just nuts and bolts.

These are the best of jeep suvs not to complicated. fact is nothing in it mechanically cost all that much in todays money. new 4.0 can be had for say 3k maybe another for a trans. 6k you are ready for another 250,000 miles. Nothing made today will anyone ever be able to say that. new one is what 60+k..... wont last 150k and most have real issues well before.

Zj and Xj can be one serious off roader. we have more then a few in our club. One is even Linked and it can go long haul street on 35s. thing is totally custom. a good friend has the honcho? its a Xj pick up that he wheels hard and its a DD. its a bit rough from all the rocks he tries stuff in that than many jeepers would rethink...

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 08:59 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Dependability will NOT equal the F350.
Automotive repairs - What is your skill level, know where gas goes, a DIYer with limited tools, confident and comfortable with tools and a place to work.

But the choice of a 4.0L is a great choice, overall for a DD keep it STOCK!
2oldjeeps likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 01:21 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
well if the f350 was just a DD that was never needed to be a real truck, IE a 8 foot bed and towing over 10k. My 96 f250 gets near 18 mpg at 65 its a 2x4 a DD and long haul its got near 200k today. wifes 2003 4x4 excursion on 35s gets 17 and that thing has 265,000 miles. can out tow any jeep and its a Suv too. But it is well tuned and has a ton of after market stuff. before i geared it to 4.30 it was 3.73 and it did near 19 mpg at 75. but would never tow in over drive. so the gear change. both are 7.3s.

those older Selectric track tend to as the age the viscus clutch goes south. many just go back to the old part time. 4.0 is a good block but getting 18 with larger tires is not going to get 18. as you add weight and bling.

Biggest issue will be rust, they are a uni body so when they rot the whole body is structural. If the plan is to keep this until ICE become like the horse and buggy. THat might be sooner then many know if the present pace continues. Rust free, the rest is just nuts and bolts.

These are the best of jeep suvs not to complicated. fact is nothing in it mechanically cost all that much in todays money. new 4.0 can be had for say 3k maybe another for a trans. 6k you are ready for another 250,000 miles. Nothing made today will anyone ever be able to say that. new one is what 60+k..... wont last 150k and most have real issues well before.

Zj and Xj can be one serious off roader. we have more then a few in our club. One is even Linked and it can go long haul street on 35s. thing is totally custom. a good friend has the honcho? its a Xj pick up that he wheels hard and its a DD. its a bit rough from all the rocks he tries stuff in that than many jeepers would rethink...
Wait the select trac has a viscous? I thought the nv247 had the progressive coupler and the nv242 was chain driven?
post #7 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 02:19 PM
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

I think that is a reasonable choice IF it is almost rust free. IMHO, dependability is not a strong suit of the vehicle.
Of the three engine choices, from a reliability standpoint, I think the 6 is best choice. Not much of a MPG difference among the three.

At the risk of getting stoned here...A friend got a 12 yo 4-Runner limited, I'd take that over the Jeep for dependability. Gas mileage is about the same.
Good luck
post #8 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 02:57 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I'd take that over the Jeep for dependability

Give me a few minutes BUT I can not think of anything ranking behind jeep for dependability.

Ford, chevy toyota 200k no problem 300k doable just drive reasonable and chenge oil.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-19-2021, 07:08 PM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
I think that is a reasonable choice IF it is almost rust free. IMHO, dependability is not a strong suit of the vehicle.
Of the three engine choices, from a reliability standpoint, I think the 6 is best choice. Not much of a MPG difference among the three.

At the risk of getting stoned here...A friend got a 12 yo 4-Runner limited, I'd take that over the Jeep for dependability. Gas mileage is about the same.
Good luck
Going to disagree, 4r no more dependable than a jeep if maintained, exception being the 4.7 because of valve seats. Just the cost difference between a 4R and WJ/XJ/ZJ would negate any "savings" from a maintenance standpoint. Toyotas are stupid expensive to start and while they may not have a lot more of things break when they do the part cost are outrageous. Let's be honest a 4r with comparable years, 4wd and milage is going to be at least double to triple the cost of a WJ or XJ. I sold a 04 4R last year with 150k and a rusted frame for 8k if it hadn't been the rust I could have got a lot more. I also sold a decent 99 XJ with 160k for 4k

Personally, I think the WJ is solid with a few exceptions, 42re is absolute junk, 0331 head and electrical quirks. But based on what OP is saying I'd find a XJ if possible. Either a 93-96 or 98-99. XJ is a better vehicle if you don't need space.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #10 of 28 Old 07-20-2021, 06:42 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I'm a mechanic and I buy WJ's because they are so dependable and cheap to fix (4.0's of course). The only thing I can think of that is easier and cheaper to fix is my old Chevy square bodies. When my current WJ rusts out or gets hit by a texting driver I will just buy another one.
post #11 of 28 Old 07-20-2021, 08:02 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Are you on GMsquarebody.com?
post #12 of 28 Old 07-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Sangster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Wait the select trac has a viscous? I thought the nv247 had the progressive coupler and the nv242 was chain driven?
Yes, Select Trac has a 4FullTime option.

2wd
4PartTime (mechanical lock in transfer case)
4FullTime (viscous coupler in transfer case)
Neutral
4Lo (mechanical lock in transfer case)

2004 WJ Overland
2014 WK2 Overland
post #13 of 28 Old 07-20-2021, 02:29 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
Are you on GMsquarebody.com?

No but I should be. I guess I haven't heard of that one. I hang out at 67-72chevytrucks.com and they have a 73-87 section that used to have very knowledgeable people there. Most of them left but the good info still exists in the archives. Now it's just a habit. GMsquarebody.com sounds like a good place to check out. Thanks for the tip.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-20-2021, 02:32 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

The 242 doesn't have wimpy viscous coupler, it uses a planetary gear set.
Bigrigr likes this.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-20-2021, 03:21 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
The 242 doesn't have wimpy viscous coupler, it uses a planetary gear set.
That's how I thought it was too. I'll find out in the coming months I have a 242hd out of an 02 laredo I'm probably going to rebuild before it goes into my overland.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in