Getting it done one issue at a time- death wobble on this one - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Getting it done one issue at a time- death wobble on this one

It was so cheap on amazon for all the control arms, and all my bushings were junk- so I replaced them all, still had a 30-40mph death wobble- totally forgot to replace the steering stabilizer at the same time- kinda dumb- but the bushings did not stop the wobble- so replacing the stabilizer this weekend, will tell what happens for future WJers reference. If that does not do it, going for rotors since it happens worse on heaving braking- was going to do that first, as it is the worst under breaking, but noticed it without hitting brakes as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-18-2020, 11:07 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Dont forget the tie-rod ends, ball-joints,drag link ends, and wheel bearings as well. Give them all a good shakedown to make sure you dont have an issue there. You want ZERO play in anything. Oh, also check the track bar bushings. Again, near Zero movement in these bushings is required to chase away death wobble.

Many times a new Steering stabilizer(or the addition of one) will stop death wobble, but only after EVERYTHING else is tight and right.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 25 Old 02-20-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Dont forget the tie-rod ends, ball-joints,drag link ends, and wheel bearings as well. Give them all a good shakedown to make sure you dont have an issue there. You want ZERO play in anything. Oh, also check the track bar bushings. Again, near Zero movement in these bushings is required to chase away death wobble.

Many times a new Steering stabilizer(or the addition of one) will stop death wobble, but only after EVERYTHING else is tight and right.
All control arms replaced- seems they don't sell the individual bushing like with my ZJ in a kit? But it was actually very inexpensive, so I did it- the tie rod ends, ball joints are good. Wheel bearings are good. I haven't checked track bar bushings, will do. Replacing steering stabilizer today- monroe at my local parts house 38 bucks, same as on Amazon prime!

post #4 of 25 Old 02-20-2020, 07:58 PM
Blasterkid305

1998 ZJ 

I have the same problem as well just mine is swaying a lot I changed almost everything in the front end like the wheel bearings my cv axles all tie rod ends and all ball joints and I have a lot of people telling me its either the control arms front and back and the track bar bushings may be bad I have a 4x4 4.0 and I’m on a 2 inch lift with Jeep Wrangler JK fActory rims hope it helps
post #5 of 25 Old 02-22-2020, 11:01 AM
mudpack
2004 WJ 

I have two '04 WJ's, both with all original suspension/steering components (except for Bilstein and KYB shocks). One has 102,000 miles, the other has 234,000 miles. Never experienced the dreaded "death wobble". Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe because they're stock, right down to the wheels and tire sizes?

two 2004 WJ 4.7 Quadra-Drive Limiteds
one 2012 WK2 SRT8
post #6 of 25 Old 02-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpack View Post
I have two '04 WJ's, both with all original suspension/steering components (except for Bilstein and KYB shocks). One has 102,000 miles, the other has 234,000 miles. Never experienced the dreaded "death wobble". Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe because they're stock, right down to the wheels and tire sizes?

Stock Machines have much less chance of Developing Death wobble. The engineers have done a great job of designing a suspension that wont Death Wobble. It CAN still happen, but its very rare.(Usually when parts are flat worn out) It's usually after you alter the stock engineering with a lift kit and oversize tires that Death Wobble happens. And the first place to look when chasing it, is worn out parts. The lift and tires will stress the factory parts to the max, and if there is any play or looseness, it begins to show itself when it's working harder. You more than likely have play or looseness in everything under your 200k Jeep. But because you have not altered the engineering and stressed those parts more, you have'nt had the dreaded Death Wobble. Lift it? And you will likely find all the weak links quickly. Thats nothing bad against lifts and oversize tires, its just a fact that it adds more stress to original parts and engineering. You definitely can still lift an old Jeep, you just have to plan on more than just the lift to get it right.
mudpack likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 25 Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 PM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Steering stabilizers will never solve death wobble. They might be a band Aid in some cases, but it's not a fix.

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
If you change it and the death wobble goes away, thats a fix. I would never start there, but if it stops the shaking, Most people would stop there cause its fixed?

post #9 of 25 Old 02-23-2020, 08:10 AM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Steering stabilizers will not fix death wobble. They might mask the problem for a little but, but they do not fix it. That's a common misconception around here. You can run no steering stabilizer and not get death wobble.

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-23-2020, 09:53 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
You can run with a double cardan driveline with no vibes, or you can run with Rzeppa joints and have vibes. Both drivelines can get the job done, but one definately does a better job than the other. If you wanna enjoy the ride, you need to fix the problem by replacing the driveline. Same with everything else we upgrade on our Jeeps. No reason why replacing the worn out or undersized steering stabilizer cant be a fix. The misconception is that a new steering stabilizer alone can be a fix.(It can mask other problems temporarily by absorbing pulses headed up the draglink, sometimes that makes someone think that all he needed was the stabilizer. This is only temporary and not a complete fix) But It can't. If everything else in worn out and misaligned, the Steering Stabilizer cant mask it all alone for long. But if you have a tight front end and alignment is good, tires balanced, and your stabilizer is dead, you can get death wobble. In this case, a new or upgraded steering stabilizer WOULD fix it.

Steering stabilizers have their role to play, just like tie rod ends, draglink ends, track bar bushings, etc. If it wasnt important, the engineers would'nt have put it on there from the factory. I dont want ANY body that reads this to think Im saying that new stabilizers will solve their problems on its own. But they just might wrap up a nice tight front end package, and sometimes they might be the missing piece of the puzzle. I would never drive a Lifted truck WITHOUT a steering stabilizer for anything more than a test drive. Been there...done that.

post #11 of 25 Old 02-23-2020, 11:31 PM
steelo2525

I fixed my death wobble by putting new disc rotors on, fixed it completely in my case.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 25 Old 02-24-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelo2525 View Post
I fixed my death wobble by putting new disc rotors on, fixed it completely in my case.

I am changing out my rotors at same time- but I don't think they are it because it wobbles between 30-40 no matter what. I am also putting new tires up front. Stabilizer this weekend first.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-24-2020, 02:21 PM
steelo2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingram View Post
I am changing out my rotors at same time- but I don't think they are it because it wobbles between 30-40 no matter what. I am also putting new tires up front. Stabilizer this weekend first.
Did you do the rear ones,as thats what caused my wobbles

post #14 of 25 Old 02-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Brake pulsation, and Death wobble are two different things. The brake rotors being warped can START death wobble, but they are not the same thing. If you get a shake only when you are on the brakes, that is warped rotors causing brake pulsation. This will go away simply by letting up on the brake pedal. Death wobble is a violent shaking that doesnt stop on its own. Many times it feels like you are going to crash, and it takes a cool head and some trial and error to get it to stop.(usually by slowing way down). But if left unchecked it will wobble you right into the ditch. Many times a brake pulsation will turn into Death Wobble, if the truck already has a tendency to go there. But again, they are not the same thing. Most people can't really guess what real Death Wobble feels like if they havent yet experienced it, but EVERYONE who has experienced firsthand, will never forget what it feels like that first time.

post #15 of 25 Old 02-24-2020, 11:08 PM
4WDlifeform

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Most people can't really guess what real Death Wobble feels like if they havent yet experienced it, but EVERYONE who has experienced firsthand, will never forget what it feels like that first time.
Ain't that the truth!! I'll throw in "steering shimmy" as a mis-diagnosed problem confused with the term Death Wobble. Easy way to determine if you have true death wobble - After it happens, you need to change your pants, and you wonder how the HECK did the vehicle stay in one piece!?!?? Seriously.. Its intense.

Assuming the OP has a true issue - I'd consider your tires as another probable issue. If they are worn to 25% or less, change them. I had issues with DW, changed tires, and completely solved it. I have chased DW many times. Usually it was worn or imbalanced tires. An upgraded steering stabilizer is a good idea. Think about it.. DW is a resonance issue. A steering stabilizer is a damper in the system, which resists harmonic motion. Bigger tires and new suspension angles will change the frequency and intensity of the resonance in the system. To continue the credit to the engineers, they only sized that stabilizer for the bare minimum! That means stock size tires/wheels/suspension. Once you upgrade those parts, an upgraded stabilizer should be deemed necessary.

Other suggestions as mentioned above are all good advice. Consider having a helper turn the steering wheel back and forth while you lay underneath the front of Jeep. Feel and look for any slop or play in the joints. Really focus on the track bar ends. You'll see some movement, but it really should be less than 1/32".

Good luck. DW is a challenging problem to diagnose and fix. Keep searching on the forum, there are a lot of comments on this subject.

'04 WJ 4.0, 325k miles! 2" Coils 255/70 AT on JK take-offs
-sold- '14 KL Trailhawk
-sold- '97 XJ AX-15, 3" lift

Any tool dropped while working on your Jeep will roll underneath to the exact center.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in