• 1 Post By JoMc67
  • 1 Post By Mr. Bitey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-18-2021, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

Gears Slipping - Broken Snap Ring

Hi all

sorry to start yet another new thread but want to get confirmation on something.

I found a broken piece of snap ring in the tranny pan, identified it as from the overdrive unit.

Prices quoted to have it fixed are not viable so decided to just live with it for now.

However I'm getting what I assume are gear slips, normally 4th/5th but sometimes 2nd/3rd. My question is could the broken snap ring cause this or is it possible that something else is causing the problem?

I've read loads on broken snap rings and people either seem to have no problems or lose reverse. All my gears work fine, they just slip so I'm wondering if maybe something else is causing it?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 03:05 PM
Terminal
2000 WJ 

My 2000 WJ's overdrive unit snap ring broke back in 2012. It's immediate symptom was no reverse and was parked ASAP to risk further damage to the transmission.

--------------------------
What you'll need to fix:

A transmission manual. A.K.A. RTFM

An alignment tool. It looks like a piece of axle shaft

A self made heavy duty 4" PVC coupler with notches cut in, you see why later, or you can buy the tool which I couldn't find at the time

A shop press

A transmission jack and stands obviously

New clutches and plates, snap rings, etc. There's a rebuild kit specifically for this task that you should buy.

That said, the job was quoted $3500 to have done. Not worth it... So I did it myself. The total at the time for everything I needed with the list mentioned above including a Harbor Freight transmission jack was approximately $600. My personal labor was free of course.

It's a heck of job, but it's been going ever since.
-------------------------

I'd imagine if you're still driving it, you're going to have a catastrophic failure in the entire transmission and will be looking for a whole new unit. There is probably a piece of snap ring left in the grove barely holding things together and it's only a matter of time before it falls out and fails completely. Since the snap rings holds it all together, it makes sense it is slipping since there is still a piece of it clinging on for dear life causing an uneven pressure load on the clutch pack.
Ojivar likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 03:30 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

How many miles are on it?

post #4 of 7 Old 10-21-2021, 04:57 PM
JoMc67
1999 WJ 

Garage
What Terminal is saying in a nice way...You need another Tranny :-(
Ojivar likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2021, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal View Post
My 2000 WJ's overdrive unit snap ring broke back in 2012. It's immediate symptom was no reverse and was parked ASAP to risk further damage to the transmission.

--------------------------
What you'll need to fix:

A transmission manual. A.K.A. RTFM

An alignment tool. It looks like a piece of axle shaft

A self made heavy duty 4" PVC coupler with notches cut in, you see why later, or you can buy the tool which I couldn't find at the time

A shop press

A transmission jack and stands obviously

New clutches and plates, snap rings, etc. There's a rebuild kit specifically for this task that you should buy.

That said, the job was quoted $3500 to have done. Not worth it... So I did it myself. The total at the time for everything I needed with the list mentioned above including a Harbor Freight transmission jack was approximately $600. My personal labor was free of course.

It's a heck of job, but it's been going ever since.
-------------------------

I'd imagine if you're still driving it, you're going to have a catastrophic failure in the entire transmission and will be looking for a whole new unit. There is probably a piece of snap ring left in the grove barely holding things together and it's only a matter of time before it falls out and fails completely. Since the snap rings holds it all together, it makes sense it is slipping since there is still a piece of it clinging on for dear life causing an uneven pressure load on the clutch pack.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I have considered doing the job myself but not confident I can do it, especially as I have no garage or driveway to speak of so would be doing it on the street. Plus would have to pay out for all the items (which of course are not available in the UK).

I got quoted a minimum of 1100, the car cost 1300 so not really viable.

Your end paragraph is what worries me

Run it till it dies or pay a fortune to fix....choices choices....
post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-2021, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Ojivar

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
How many miles are on it?

135000, my last one went over 200k with none of these issues!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Mr. Bitey
Mopar Nut

2004 WJ 

$1500(1100) Doesn't sound horrible to me for trans work. I guess ti depends on what else she needs overall. However I totally understand the not wanting to dump into it what you paid for it.

Fun fact: I once drove a 1980 Datsun 210 wagon (was called the Sunny outside of North America) without a clutch because I paid $50 for it and the clutch kit was $80. Power shifted her all summer. Red light? Stuff her in 1st gear and shut it off. Green light? Fire it up in gear. Actually drove it for 7-8mo, and she died due to an unexpected visit by a telephone pole, not mechanical failure. That summer was a riot.
Ojivar likes this.

2004 WJ 4.7 N, daily driver
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (11.223 @ 113mph)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (sold)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in