Gas tank won't fill?? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jtec

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Alientails

2002 WJ 

Wj Gas tank won't fill??

I have a 2002 WJ with 4.0 and 2WD. It has over 320,000 miles on it, so if I wasn't on Social Security I'd buy a newer one. I'm disabled, so a friend helps me, yet we have not made heads or tails of the poor-running problem and misfire codes. Coil, plugs, all intake sensors replaced. Now, only in the last few months, it has been difficult to fuel. Takes a half an hour to fill the tank. I'm told this may be a clogged evap canister, but I have no idea. Could such a thing also be causing the engine troubles? These days with "social distancing" and better weather, we can get to work on it, but... what is involved in replacing that evap canister? I've looked at some videos but none really showed the thing. Ideas?

Old Goat Looking for a Few Good Sheep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 01:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would be more inclined to check the hose system to the tank. Note sure on this year but wranglers have a roll over valve in line that tends to stick. very common issue with them. Hose can collapse tends to cause a restriction.

can not see the evap being and issue filling it since when you take the cap off you have ambient equal pressure. Though it may be the issue how it runs, but i would be more thinking a vacuum leak. manifold leak etc.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-31-2020, 02:38 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Post the codes, maybe an EVAP issue, or roll over valve as mentioned.

ORVR (On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery) helps vent fumes and if stuck closed problems.
Attached Thumbnails
wj tank.JPG  
Alientails and Bigrigr like this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-01-2020, 04:08 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
X2 Jtec

If you have a blocked/kinked hose, or a vacuum leak somewhere in the ORVR/EVAP system, it could make it hard to vent the tank as you fill it, ANd possibly make it run poorly as the system is designed to suck the fuel vapors into the EVAP cannister for storage. It uses engine vacuum to accomplish this. I have seen a couple vehicles over the years, that had the Evap canister completley full of fuel, which made it send raw fuel(rather than the vapors it was designed to handle) into the engine through the vacumn line while idling or driving with light throttle input. This usually happens when people fill their gas tanks "right to the top" of the fuel neck, and it ends up traveling down into the evap canister.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in