Gas Tank Skid Plate Removal Install Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-21-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
splouie

Gas Tank Skid Plate Removal Install Help

Having a hard time with grasping installation for gas tank skid plate removal and install new one

Does skidplate support the gas tank?.. Makes no sense for that cover to support tank.. Tank should have its own straps. Will the skidplate unbolt and bolt on? There is an N74 recall to install a trailer hitch and trying to get the dealer to do that next week, but I am afraid when they see the hole in my old skid plate they will make a big deal about that. they want $800 for the plate alone, but i can get that online for nothing and want my local mechanic to do that first, than have the N74 structural hitch installed for free after that. I have a feeling my local mechanic is not going to be referencing any specs, I think he is just gonna drop the skid plate.... I would rather know before I start this mess. Or have hitch installed first than change the skidplate.. I was told skidplate bolts dont go near trailer hitch bolts.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-21-2018, 03:22 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Your gas tank is strapped into the skid plate and will come down with it. Trailer hitch bolt holes follow the same pattern as the gas tank skid and bolt on over the skid holes. The order goes skidplate on, then hitch, then bolts.

2000 Laredo. Now a donor vehicle to my
2002 Laredo. Baloo. Currently a work in progress.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 AM
LRS_Warthog

I just put a Skid Row skid plate onto replace a rusty crumbling stock skid plate on an 04 Laredo. The gas tank is strapped into the skid plate and will lower with the skid plate. If you do this on your own a few words of advice: remove tank with an empty tank of gas! Makes life a lot easier. I used a floor jack to lower the skid/tank slowly so that could remove fuel lines/ sensor lines. There is a bolt on either side of the frame that a stock Mopar hitch hollows out which allows for the skid to remain bolted to the frame while taking off the remaining 6 bolts that secure the hitch and the skid plate/tank. You or a mechanic shouldn’t need to completely remove the skid plate/ tank to get the hitch off or on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splouie View Post
Having a hard time with grasping installation for gas tank skid plate removal and install new one

Does skidplate support the gas tank?.. Makes no sense for that cover to support tank.. Tank should have its own straps. Will the skidplate unbolt and bolt on? There is an N74 recall to install a trailer hitch and trying to get the dealer to do that next week, but I am afraid when they see the hole in my old skid plate they will make a big deal about that. they want $800 for the plate alone, but i can get that online for nothing and want my local mechanic to do that first, than have the N74 structural hitch installed for free after that. I have a feeling my local mechanic is not going to be referencing any specs, I think he is just gonna drop the skid plate.... I would rather know before I start this mess. Or have hitch installed first than change the skidplate.. I was told skidplate bolts dont go near trailer hitch bolts.

Thoughts?

post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
splouie

thanks for advice. I gave in and bought something else after 14 years. I couldn't see dropping the tank.. I figured it would be $600 plus part here in the NY area. With all the stories of gas tank fires, I changed my mind. Although it seemed the fires were all the prior model, just cant find much fire stories with 99-04 with skid plates. Hate to see this go, tried buying 2007 Jeep but the plush leather on my 2000 to me was a better model. Now I have a Ford Edge.. go figure...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in