Fuel Regulator of Fuel Pump - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Double E

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBro

Fuel Regulator of Fuel Pump

Hi JGC Owners, I have an 02 JGC 4.7 H.O. that has recently started hesitating while driving on the highway and on city streets. It will also die out a few seconds after I start it up. I have checked the fuel pressure and found it to be at 60 psi while at idle and should be between 44 and 54 psi (I believe). Need some input on which I should replace, I've replaced the fuel regulator/filter about a year ago and the fuel pump might be the original I'm not sure as I'm not the original owner. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as a new fuel pump is about $200.00 and OEM fuel regulator I'm not even sure yet.

Thank you all and have a safe and wonderful week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Got any codes?
How many miles?

Before doing the pump or regulator, tell us about the free stuff you can do:
Clean battery connection really well.
Check condition of spark plugs.
Pull the throttle body off, clean the IAC valve and back side of the butterfly valve.

Are you also losing any coolant?

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBro

No codes, battery posts are clean, I am leaking some antifreeze on the passenger side I believe it's one of my heater core lines. I also have a small transmission fluid leak right at the cooler line not sure if it's the return or the sending line. But would any of theses cause high fuel pressure?

post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBro

Have not checked IAC, Spark Plugs, or cleaned throttle body but will do that right now. It has about 189xxx miles but I have cleaned and replaced just about all those sensors about a year ago when I rebuilt the heads.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 08:10 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This has the symptoms of coolant in at least one cylinder but I know you are not looking forward to considering that.

I would borrow a comp check gauge from the parts store and rule it out first.
I don't think that a little higher pressure than normal is an issue causing the symptoms.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBro

It's not a constant issue, it will drive fine for a while then start to jerk/hesitate and go back to normal.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBro

If I'm driving for about 45 minutes it will start at about 6 to 10 minutes in and last for about a minute or 2 with hard jerks while on the highway then calm down and drive good for a while. But will still have some hard Jenks from time to time.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 09:31 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ok. Thanks for the detail. I'm now less inclined to go with HG issue from that.

Now I'm thinking something less sinister and it's still free to check.
You have 2 speed sensors on the driver's side of the trans. They are identical and easy to access. They're known to fail and in the process of doing so, will cause what you've described until they fail completely and they will make the trans act like it is possessed by evil spirits and there will be no period of normal operation.

Swap the speed sensors to see if behavior changes (worse or better doesn't matter). If it does at all, they are suspect and you could change both or just get one and swap it in either position and see which one fixed it. One that fails completely will eventually throw a PO700 code and a couple of others but before it does fail for good, no codes will appear. Be sure to mark the current ones so you know where it was originally and where it gets swapped into.

The next possibility is the crank position sensor. Tough to get to but probably a walk in the park for you from what it sounds like. it will also cause the issue described and is a known fail point. Usually the symptom is much more subtle then a violent jerking when it is in the early fail process.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
ChrisBro

One thing I forgot to mention is that when it does have the issue while on the highway I put the car in neutral and rev it up and look at my rpm's I can see it's struggling to get passed let's say 3k. It kind of just stays bouncing right at or around there but not always, could be at 4k or less or more.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2021, 02:28 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That says fuel pump to me then. If you can get a PSI reading while driving (long hose connected to gauge?) it would be ideal and definitive.
Bigrigr likes this.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-11-2021, 09:16 AM
Jeepinpgh

Garage
I had VERY similar symptoms when dealing with a crankshaft sensor that was going bad, but you would probably see an error code associated with that. When the jerking happens at highway speeds, does the RPM needle start bouncing around like crazy? You might consider this as a possible cause. I was dreading replacing the crankshaft sensor based on some horror stories posted on this forum, but I actually found it to be pretty reasonable to replace.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Put your fuel pressure gauge on and drive it with the gauge taped to the wiper arm. Verify the fuel pump operation on the gauge when the engine acts up. This sounds very similar to my situation which ended with a new fuel pump assembly. Make sure to lube up all O-RINGS inside the ports on the fuel pressure regulator/filter assembly prior to installation to keep it from whining loudly.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #13 of 13 Old 06-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

^ Good advice from Bigrigr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in