1Likes
  • 1 Post By cDee63

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2021, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
My 4.7L gas mileage has been suffering over the years, just keeps dropping and the lift and tires and roof rack have not helped. When brand new she got 19-21 mpg on the highway. Dropped to 17 ... Recently it's been 12. Last weekend I poured a bottle of Lucas High Mileage Fuel Treatment and hit the open road.

Hundreds of miles later I checked my fuel mileage and discovered 16.8mpg. Not believing my math, I drove more hundreds of miles. Last check said 16.2mpg. I am still skeptical, but pretty thrilled if this keeps up.

Thought I would share.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-eng...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-19-2021, 09:25 PM
JonMopar

Oil/additives that offer mpg improvement isn’t a far fetched concept. Many of the reasons manufacturers switched from 10w30 to 5w20 and so on in the last 15yrs was to achieve lower CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) standards. Different viscosities have an influence on rotational energy/friction and therefore effect fuel economy.

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2021, 11:23 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I ran a bottle of that same treatment every time I filled up this last year. Now I put some in every two or three tanks fills. I went from 16-17 mpg up to 20 on the hwy now. Originally I bought some new injectors, but at the last minute, I decided to try the fuel treatment. The injectors are on the spare parts shelf.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye

post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2021, 03:59 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

In Europe we use 95 octane gasoline, what do you use in USA?

If you are running a low octane gasoline, that additive could be simply an octane booster, like the ones that were introduced in 2000 when we in Italy shifted from "Lead gasoline" with 98 octane to Lead free gasoline with 95 octane

If this is not the situation, I wonder what can generate a 25%/30% improvement in mileage..., it seems contrary to the rules of physics...; it's really technically interesting

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2021, 04:19 AM
Delta0

I run Shell V-Power petrol / gasoline, which is 99RON octane.
Shell V-Power makes about the same claims as your snake oil Gman.

From memory, the handbook says to use 99RON in my HO.

I believe the 95 Octane Shell cleans engines too.
However, it has a higher alcohol content, which is not good for GCs.

Last edited by Delta0; 10-20-2021 at 04:44 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 AM
Mr. Bitey
Mopar Nut

2004 WJ 

My current had 152k on it when I got her 18ish months ago. Was also getting around 12mpg, combined cty/hwy. Cleaned throttle body (AMSOIL Power Foam), new plugs (NGK ZFR6F-11G) , all new fluids, custom intake box w/ a large cone filter (Spectre SPE-HPR9885), cat back (Dynomax 19374), plus countless other misc goodies that probably have no affect on mpg. She settled in at 15.4mpg for the next 9mo. I then ran 2 tanks of AMSOIL P.I. (Power Improver, likely near identical brew as the Lucas High Mileage additive), and she jumped to 17.4 and has pretty much stayed there (180k-ish miles now). With the giant cargo basket removed from the roof, light on the loud pedal, 120 mile hwy trip to my land up north light load/unloaded, I can get 18.5mpg. I run 87 octane and a bottle of AMSOIL Upper Cylinder Lubricant with each tank. That also includes a Diablosport Predator2 "Diablo 87" tune. I occasionally run the "Diablo" tune with 91 octane for fun, but it doesn't pay since 91 octane cost about $0.80 more and it hurts mpg (probably mostly because I am ALWAYS to the floor) – cost v HP gain just isn’t worth it to run every day. There is an "economy" tune as well, but it seems the same as the Diablo 87, so I mostly run the latter. Also note all gas in Wisconsin now has 10% ethanol. I've also gotten into the habit of doing the actual math at the pump as the EVIC can be misleading, especially after a reset...

2004 WJ 4.7 N, daily driver
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (11.223 @ 113mph)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (sold)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2021, 08:05 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I have been trying to negate the mpg loss with bigger tires and lift with some success, with the current 265/70-17 tires and a 3" lift I have gotten up to a best of 18.7 mpg calculated, not EVIC reading. I have modified the fuel rails and insulated them, HO air intake system, late cams (09), matched new injectors. The biggest improvement came with using the cruise control however, keeping it at 70 (64 indicated) really makes a difference.
leadsled jeep likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2021, 08:28 AM
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
In Europe we use 95 octane gasoline, what do you use in USA?

If you are running a low octane gasoline, that additive could be simply an octane booster, like the ones that were introduced in 2000 when we in Italy shifted from "Lead gasoline" with 98 octane to Lead free gasoline with 95 octane

If this is not the situation, I wonder what can generate a 25%/30% improvement in mileage..., it seems contrary to the rules of physics...; it's really technically interesting
95 in europe is the same as our 89. If your running an HO engine, it recommends 91 in the north american standard which is similar to the 98 octane in europe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in