2Likes
  • 1 Post By LuthWJ77
  • 1 Post By smokeyyank

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Fuel Injectors, the real truth?

Ok, after 33 years I suddenly find myself single, and my “toy” car is now my only car.

What’s the scoop with four hole fuel injectors. Will it increase mileage? It’s a 99 4.0. I have to squeeze everything I can out of it now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Photo, sorry to hear about the single thing but probably more than a few out there are jealous of you lol!!

Search the forum you can see the different opinions on injectors but I think the overall consensus is that on the 4.0 "tractor engine" those 4 holes aren't going to do much. Probably better money spent on an intake and synthetic fluids but that engine kind of is what it is. Not ripping it I love the 4.0 for it's torque and reliability which is why it was the only option for my toy WJ. With that said, if I found myself in a situation where I was in the market for a new set, I'd probably go 4 hole version I don't think they're more $$ and if they are not by much. Can't hurt anything to try them but I wouldn't go changing them solely for hopes of MPG gains.
BeetleCamry likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

things will get better, you are not alone.

If the injectors are OK and there is no reason to change them I would NOT - the old saying if it ain't broke....

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 PM
smokeyyank

I had 4 holes on my XJ and will it improved throttle response that was all I got. And that simply could have just been from new injectors. If you're wanting to help increase mileage...... Make sure your air pressure in tires is always where it needs to be. Run some B&G 44k through the fuel system. Make sure you got a good air filter,(doesn't need to be a K&N or anything). Replace the EGR if you haven't. Freshen up the spark plugs and wires along with cap and rotor. Really just basic stuff will go the furthest.
edhammond71 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2019, 02:21 AM
Ralph777

When I first bought my '00 XJ there were some things I had straighten out and some neglected maintenance that needed to be done.
After that I got it in my head that I wanted to improve the MPG. Now realize I did not really care but figured I would do what I could and it would be what it would be.
4 hole injectors. Replaced all the O2 sensors. Running synthetic oil in the diffs.
Did it help? Maybe. But my logic is that if I did not replace it then it is original from the factory.
So my injectors had about 150K on them. Had to assume they were not in the best of shape.
The O2 sensors the same. Supposedly the life span on an O2 sensor is about 100K.
Diffs I just wanted to swap out the fluid to have fresh stuff in there so figured might as well switch to a synthetic.

Now you have to realize money was not an issue. Thinking might be for you. Maybe best to follow jtec's advice. LOL.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2019, 04:15 AM
0488HDFB
2004 WJ 

As Smokeyyank said, improved throttle response. The best thing I did to my 220,000 mile 4.0L was spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter. I put the 4 hole injectors in around 160,000 miles so the original were probably a little tired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in