Front pinion angle - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oktavius
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-18-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
gsxr800
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stratford
Posts: 319
Front pinion angle

I just installed a double cardan front driveshaft and removed the transfer case drop bracket and now can hear a little bit of crunching sound when driving under load.

Its on a 4 lift. I can see the yoke is not inline with the drive shaft now and really need to take some angle measurements to calculate the pinion angle. But Im pretty certain I need to lengthen my upper control arms a little to fix this problem.

My castor is at about 6 so the yoke should be at about 0. Im hoping that I dont have to lose too much positive castor to make the u joint happy.

Anyone running a similar setup?



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 4" lift, Bilstein 5100, Adj TB, Skid Plate, 17" JK Moab w/Falken A/T3W
gsxr800 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-19-2019, 06:46 AM
Oktavius
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 417
Think you just have to play around with it and see what it is happy with. When I was trying to determine some slight front end vibration, I set my pinion angle to zero (straight inline with driveshaft) and with a 3" lift meant my caster was only ~1.5 degrees. Definitely needs more caster than that. I still need to find the time to add more caster and figure out the happy place where I can maximize caster without vibration.
Oktavius is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
gsxr800
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stratford
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
Think you just have to play around with it and see what it is happy with. When I was trying to determine some slight front end vibration, I set my pinion angle to zero (straight inline with driveshaft) and with a 3" lift meant my caster was only ~1.5 degrees. Definitely needs more caster than that. I still need to find the time to add more caster and figure out the happy place where I can maximize caster without vibration.


There is 6 of separation between castor and pinion angle on a Dana 30. If pinion is at 0 the caster has to be at 6. How are you at 1.5?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 4" lift, Bilstein 5100, Adj TB, Skid Plate, 17" JK Moab w/Falken A/T3W
gsxr800 is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2019, 07:56 AM
Oktavius
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr800 View Post
There is 6 of separation between castor and pinion angle on a Dana 30. If pinion is at 0 the caster has to be at 6. How are you at 1.5?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinion angle is not relative to the ground. It is the angle between the driveshaft and the pinion. Have to factor in the driveshaft angle. A zero degree pinion angle means the pinion and driveshaft are inline with each other.
Oktavius is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
gsxr800
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stratford
Posts: 319
Front pinion angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
Pinion angle is not relative to the ground. It is the angle between the driveshaft and the pinion. Have to factor in the driveshaft angle. A zero degree pinion angle means the pinion and driveshaft are inline with each other.


Ahhh sorry misunderstood. Steering must be twitchy. So how are you planning on fixing it? Obviously I have to do the same.

I only recently replaced my front driveshaft to double cardan but havent thought far enough ahead on how to make it work properly. Im really just learning pinion angles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 4" lift, Bilstein 5100, Adj TB, Skid Plate, 17" JK Moab w/Falken A/T3W
gsxr800 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Oktavius
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr800 View Post
Ahhh sorry misunderstood. Steering must be twitchy. So how are you planning on fixing it? Obviously I have to do the same.

I only recently replaced my front driveshaft to double cardan but havent thought far enough ahead on how to make it work properly. Im really just learning pinion angles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it is a bit twitchy, haha. I'm going to try to set it at 5 degrees of caster and see if there is any vibrations and work from there. I tend to lump projects together which makes them longer though. Have bar pin eliminators to install and also want to pop out the front springs and move the suspension around to determine how much of a bump stop spacer I need to add. Lumping projects together just makes them get pushed back more. Oh, and after resetting the caster, want to redo my toe alignment too.
gsxr800 likes this.
Oktavius is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome