Free heater core bypass? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

Free heater core bypass?

Broke til Friday from moving. Heater core had been leaking a little so I've been driving with HVAC off and turned to cold but Friday I noticed I could actually smell it when driving. Snowed like a foot last night and I got in it this morning after clearing the snow and realized the passenger floor has a ton of coolant sitting in it.

There any free ways to bypass the heater core temporarily?

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|SOLD|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

I would assume you could pull the heater hoses at the firewall and either connect them together, or take one off and use the remaining hose to connect to the nipple where the other one was connected.

Never tried it... but seems logical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
OffRoadDevilD

2001 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoweborama View Post
I would assume you could pull the heater hoses at the firewall and either connect them together, or take one off and use the remaining hose to connect to the nipple where the other one was connected.

Yes, you can do this. When I got my WJ from an auction someone had bypassed the heater core by looping the water pump outlet back to the inlet. It doesn't hurt anything. You can loop them at the end of the lines before they enter the firewall or right at the water pump.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoweborama View Post

They're different sizes but I think I have the clamp tight enough doing it this way it should be ok. Wish the damn thing leaked this summer, would have had somewhere to replace it then.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM
FanTech

What about pinching the hoses shut? Never tried it... but doubt it would hurt the hoses (as long as you don't use something sharp). The heater lines can be a PITA to remove from the fittings, especially near the firewall.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
They're different sizes but I think I have the clamp tight enough doing it this way it should be ok. Wish the damn thing leaked this summer, would have had somewhere to replace it then.

I never thought about this until you asked. Now I know what to do if it happens to me. Though everyone says all WJ all fail, Iím either hoping or deluding myself it wonít happen!

post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 11:20 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Loop at the water pump. Should be easy.

post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

1/2 in plastic pipe with a coupler fits the big hose. the 1/2 in fits the small hose. ez adapter..
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2018, 02:29 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Broke til Friday from moving. Heater core had been leaking a little so I've been driving with HVAC off and turned to cold but Friday I noticed I could actually smell it when driving. Snowed like a foot last night and I got in it this morning after clearing the snow and realized the passenger floor has a ton of coolant sitting in it.

There any free ways to bypass the heater core temporarily?
Just as a heads-up turning the heat off doesn't affect the coolant flow going through the heater core nor will it reduce any leaks in the core. It's not a very efficient system when you have a dash with hot coolant in the core when trying to cool down with AC in the hot summer months. WJ's, ZJ's and likely other Jeep models are like this with constant flow through the heater core anytime the engine's running.

On the other hand 2 of the XJ's we've owned have a valve in the heater hose going to the core near the firewall. A manual cable on the heater control opens or closes this valve along with coolant flow. Like anything there can be problems with this system where the cable would stick and I remember having to replace this valve once.

Like others have said just create a loop back to the water pump for now and good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in