Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Frankenstein WJ Postal Build, and I need guidance

431 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  PostalWJ 
#1 ·
I am doing a WJ build, probably not too common on this forum as it will not be a trail rig or hauler. I am building a right hand drive 2001 GC for my wife as her work vehicle delivering the mail. They were made from the factory that way so not too special, starting with a running WJ wouldnt be that special either. what makes this special is the BUDGET challenge, This jeep is being built on a very tight budget, with some help from favors and luck. I bought a 98 ZJ 4.0 4x4 originally and found it to be a rust bucket and unsafe for use on the road, so I sourced a 2001 WJ 4.7 4x4 in great shape with the engine, trans and t-case already gutted. I want to stay with the 4.0 for several reasons so the first hurtle is putting the 98 zj drive train in the 01 shell with more donor parts from 00 WJ 4.0l 4x4, heres what questions Ive got so far:

1. the 01 has the grey head key so it has security, but it does not have an ecm or any of the engine harness, how will this effect my end result if i use the engine/trans/tcase from the 98 ZJ, sensors/harness/ecm from the 00 WJ, and put them together with the 01 WJ which still has the dash harness and computers intact. Or should I take all wiring/computers/and sensors from the 00?

2. What differences are there between the 98 ZJ 4.0 and the 00 WJ 4.0? what sensors (other than distributor vs coil pack system) should I expect to have trouble with?

3. Whats the differences in the 42RE? they both use 42RE and all I can see for a solid difference is different ratios, Are there different sensors to worry about?

4. T-case, Both are selectrac style transfercases so will there be any generation differences there?

5. Is there a way to bypass the security system so I dont have to stress about having this thing programmed at the end of the build?

these are my initial questions, I am on a strict budget, and I have a salvage yard at my disposal full of WJs. I am not afraid of wiring, or even a little fab work, but I am afraid of the 4.7L so I am not putting one back in to my 01. As long as I worked in the salvage business I know maintenance is key to a reliable 4.7 but I do not want someone elses abused 20 year old engine, Ill take my chances with the tried and true 4.0L.

This is my first Jeep and Im really hoping to get some insight on some of these questions, the build needs to be done by november (holiday delivery time). Any and all help is appreciated, I will post progress on this thread when the wrenches start turning.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.