• 1 Post By GmanWJ
  • 1 Post By juan_carlos__007
  • 1 Post By Sprung99GC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2020, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Kbrow
1999 WJ 

Extreme simultaneous power failure

1999 WJ 4.0 six cyl. On attempting start, normal dash lights went out, no response to any key position, no crank, no power to electric windows, etc, and all gauges repeatedly recycle across full meter range. Crazy gauge action continues with key off and removed. Battery is strong, 12.9v. Power fuses are good. Is this definitely a Body Control Module BCM issue? Would really appreciate expertise with these symptoms before chasing after the BCM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2020, 01:46 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
My guess: bad grounds. Check the battery-to-engine ground on the side of the block, check the battery-to-fender ground next to the PDC (front of the engine bay). Check battery terminals and CABLES. They should all be free of grease, oil, and corrosion; clean them if you can, replace if needed. Take a look at this thread for more info: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-info-4192594/
juan_carlos__007 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM
juan_carlos__007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
My guess: bad grounds. Check the battery-to-engine ground on the side of the block, check the battery-to-fender ground next to the PDC (front of the engine bay). Check battery terminals and CABLES. They should all be free of grease, oil, and corrosion; clean them if you can, replace if needed. Take a look at this thread for more info: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-info-4192594/
I also think is some loose battery terminals, starter, wire etc. Check that you have good connections.

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk
Kbrow likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Kbrow
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the grounding info, GManWJ. I will focus on main power grounds and Body Control Module grounds as that unit is implicated in all the accessories that are not working. Strange thing is a rapid clicking noise in the area of the BDM when ignition switch is off, also faint glow of side marker lights--with light switch off and ignition off....
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
X2 Gman, sounds like dirty/loose connections somewhere. Battery post are the most common. Make sure there is NO white corrosion on any of the cables, and double check that it hasn't snuck up under the insulation just beyond the battery connections. If that doesnt get it, follow those grounds....The funky clicking and intermittent gauge operation are a tell tale for bad connections.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 PM
Sprung99GC

1999 WJ 

Hit the starter with a hammer while you have someone crank it. I have had many starters hang up over the years.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

starters have brittle permanent magnets easily cracked by hitting,then they are junk.
corrosion on copper has no effect on resistance unless wire size is reduced, rarely.

just do soda to feel good.
batt terminals must be clean. i put a big washer on both sides to get a tight fit.
ive rarely had a bad ground if the bolt/nut is tight.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Sprung99GC

1999 WJ 

Sprung99GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
starters have brittle permanent magnets easily cracked by hitting,then they are junk.
corrosion on copper has no effect on resistance unless wire size is reduced, rarely.

just do soda to feel good.
batt terminals must be clean. i put a big washer on both sides to get a tight fit.
ive rarely had a bad ground if the bolt/nut is tight.
Well it's worked for me in the past. I replaced the starter so it didn't matter much. All it took was a little tap.
GmanWJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in