Exhaust Moving And Banging. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
mr312712

2008 WK 

Exhaust Moving And Banging.

I've been trying to track down this banging noise for awhile. It bangs In the back when going over bumps but not all, u have to hit the bumps a certain way to produce the sound. Or If u go up a hill and get heavy on the pedal It will start banging. I've taken It to 2 shops and neither one can find the problem. I put all new shocks on last week and both front outer tie rods. So I was bored and crawled under the WJ, and notice the exhaust moves alot. I see there's a hanger that holds the exhaust back near the bumper. Can that hanger be replace cause It has alot of play In It, It's only rubber. I have checked everything In the rear, and that's the only thing that moves.

It doesn't matter If the guy next to you doesn't know your racing winning Is winning.
Castrol Edge 10W30 Full Synthetic
04 WJ Overland Inferno Red 4.7 MAGNUM V8 HIGH OUTPUT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM
ShinyWJ
2002 WJ 

When you move it around by hand, can you get it to hit something else and cause a bang? If so, you've found your problem. Yes you can replace exhaust hangers if they are bad.
post #3 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM
YeepinBlue

2001 WJ 

Garage
An exhaust hanger can cause it to bang around. You can tell if it needs to be replaced by checking to see if the rubber has cracks or if the rubber is loose fitting/ slides easily on the metal parts.

Keep Yeepin!

post #4 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

s...wire or bunjee it securely away from anything it can bang on and drive it to see if that changes. Maybe just higher up as that would be the natural tendency for the bushing to allow over time.

You might also put a little dab of grease on the parts that it might be banging against to see if ...after a drive...you see the grease transferred to the exhaust pipe.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #5 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
mr312712

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
s...wire or bunjee it securely away from anything it can bang on and drive it to see if that changes.
Yeah I bunjeed It awhile back and the noise went away for a few minutes, and then the bunjee melted and snapped then the sound came back. But I had some free time today so I thought I would check Into It. But I ended up going to AutoZone and got a new one. It was hell getting the old one off the mount, so I had to unbolt It and take It off that way. I wasted an hour trying to dig It off while It was still on the Jeep. So I had to unbolt the mount and then took It off. I will find out If the noise Is gone tomorrow, cause I don't feel like going back out tonight, while I had the tire off I found out I have a nail In the back right tire, so I will be going to the tire shop tomorrow.

http://www.autozone.com/emission-con...276307_0_5060/

It doesn't matter If the guy next to you doesn't know your racing winning Is winning.
post #6 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 PM
eljeepwj
2003 WJ 

I have an extra hanger right after the muffler before the tailpipe bc my new bigger tailpipe was moving around too much. The bolt is welded right next to the control arm mount. I believe XJs have a hanger in a similar location. This solved my movement problem completely.

2003 Jeep WJ 4.0 2in IRO w Procomp Es9000 on d windows 245/75/r16 DD
post #7 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
mr312712

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeepwj View Post
I have an extra hanger right after the muffler before the tailpipe bc my new bigger tailpipe was moving around too much. The bolt is welded right next to the control arm mount. I believe XJs have a hanger in a similar location. This solved my movement problem completely.
If the hanger I put on today didn't solve the problem, then I will check that one.

post #8 of 34 Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 PM
namtrah

2004 WJ 

Wj 2 spots

I had to experiences with exhaust banging in the past decade. The first was after adding a Borla exhaust. The weight of the stainless allowed it to bang on the crossmember, very annoying. Solution was a 3 foot section of stainless and a high flow cat. The second occasion was the rear exhaust hanger was allowing the exhaust to hit the the gas tank skid, very annoying. First I bungee'd the hanger away from the skid. That didn't work so well in the long term, but when I loosened some exhaust clamps and made sure the entire system was tight, it fixed the issue and is now gone.

04 WJ Laredo-4.0L-NP242-KN Fipk-Borla Exh w/Hi-Flo Cat-6" Lift
post #9 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
khodgens

mr312712 did the new hangar solve your rattle?
post #10 of 34 Old 08-16-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
mr312712

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khodgens View Post
mr312712 did the new hangar solve your rattle?
No It didn't I'm still trying to figure out whats making noise. I spent over an hour (under It) laying on my back trying to figure out what's making noise. I even replaced all 4 shocks and the noise Is still there. It sounds like someone Is knocking on the door that's how fast the noise Is.

post #11 of 34 Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Check the jack under the spare tire to make sure it's not loose.

The next thing to consider is the A-Arm located on top of the differential. That bushing may be done and allowing it to knock.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #12 of 34 Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 AM
MadderThanMax

You surprise me you really do...

What about doing this:

1: See if you can attach your phone/camera like others do on here and create a video - and drive gingerly to see if you can recreate the sound

2: Get an FB to sit in the back and bounce it up and down whilst you lie to the side and get a good look underneath..

3: Are you as brave as your mouth?? Sit in the back, have someone welly it - (No sorry, couldn't resist!) and gingerly drive it whilst you hang out the back or use an inspection mirror to see underneath ..
post #13 of 34 Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 AM
MadderThanMax

Quote:
The next thing to consider is the A-Arm located on top of the differential. That bushing may be done and allowing it to knock.
Definitely! I've just done mine and it didn't take much I can assure you to move the A Frame.. my bushes were Totalled!
post #14 of 34 Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
mr312712

2008 WK 

Quote:
Check the jack under the spare tire to make sure it's not loose.

Yeah the jack and tire are fully secure. I do remember back In February the guy told me that the A-arm needed replacing. But since then I've taken It to 3 other mechanics and none of them found anything else wrong. I also replaced the sway bar bushings and end links, but the noise Is still present. When hitting bumps sometimes It bangs so loud can feel It through the drivers floor. I don't know If the engine, transmission or transfer case Is somehow hitting the body. But like I said It sounds like someone Is knocking on a door, and u can feel It through the floor.

post #15 of 34 Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM
MadderThanMax

Since you've done the rest.. I'd say its your A Frame bushes, as that's exactly the same *Banging* sound I got..

Depends on the type of person you are - I'd already done mine when I got it along with polybushing the rest and put on a new A frame complete, but the past month or so I had this bang as you describe so I opted for these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-Grand...item56683f7657

Along with a Meyle HD Ball Joint and all is well...

Its Up to you, just one mans way of curing the problem....

Tags
exhaust , exhaust hanger , exhaust system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in