Engine woes - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Engine woes

Hello again everyone, I previously asked here a question about differential and I thanks everyone who helped, managed to get it done; Now I have a different question, this is about a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee 4.7 v8, it had the engine and transmission rebuilt 4 years ago and it was also been on the sun without starting for 4 years until some months ago.

Now today I heard a weird noise coming out of the engine and using a stethoscope I heard something didn't think was possible, the passenger side timing chain and the valve lifters or the rocker arm had some sort of hammering noise but when i went to check the driver side it was all smooth no hammering sound to be heard.

Does this mean that the passenger side engine components are about to be shot or present lack of lubrication, the engine oil light doesn't turn on and the oil pressure seems pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 07:05 PM
LTopher
2001 WJ 

Having only dealt with the 4.0, I know nothing about the 4.7. I'm curious though, you rebuild the engine AND transmission before letting it sit for 4 years?!?

Driving the car often is the best way to take care of it. I start to worry when I go 1-2 weeks without driving one of my cars, let alone 4 months.

Programmers don't die, they just lose their memory!

His: 2001 WJ I6
Hers: 2011 WK2 V6
post #3 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTopher View Post
Having only dealt with the 4.0, I know nothing about the 4.7. I'm curious though, you rebuild the engine AND transmission before letting it sit for 4 years?!?

Driving the car often is the best way to take care of it. I start to worry when I go 1-2 weeks without driving one of my cars, let alone 4 months.
Correct, the car was inactive since 2016 due to a stolen battery and there was a battery shortage on my country; my dad didn't really bother since he had a wk and used that.

When went to get it up and running again it needed a fuel pump and it started right away, now it has a suspension rebuilt coming (it has the original pieces since the 2000) but this sound is worrying.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 08:37 PM
ParkerStovall42

Issues with the hydraulic lifters are a common failure point with these engines. If it's been sitting for half a decade and you're having an issue with ticking from the passenger side valve cover, that'd be my first guess. One is probably just stuck. They're inexpensive to replace or you can try to disassemble them to see if there is any dirt or debris caught in one that's preventing it from doing its job properly. Or you can switch to solid lifters if you don't mind setting the lash and not having to worry about them again.
Bigrigr likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerStovall42 View Post
Issues with the hydraulic lifters are a common failure point with these engines. If it's been sitting for half a decade and you're having an issue with ticking from the passenger side valve cover, that'd be my first guess. One is probably just stuck. They're inexpensive to replace or you can try to disassemble them to see if there is any dirt or debris caught in one that's preventing it from doing its job properly. Or you can switch to solid lifters if you don't mind setting the lash and not having to worry about them again.
that's the way to describe it loud ticking, like it had a lack of lubrication; what is the benefit of a solid lifter?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Does the engine still run ok with this ticking noise? does it have a misfire? Are you sure its not just an exhaust manifold leak?(these motors have manifold bolts that like to break off and allow the exhaust to leak quite often.) I have seen videos of guys having the rocker arms pop out. The engine then begins to miss and a check engine light will usually come on. One guy had had this happen often enough, that he carried a wrench with him to "POP" it back in again wherever he was. If you are having issues with the engine running poorly as well, i would want to look under that valve cover and double check this. If it still runs ok, then it could very well be a collapsed lifter as described above. It may loosen up and start working after you drive it a little bit, or it may not. If you end up having to replace them, the solid lifters are better in the long run because they wont collapse like the originals. The solid lifter are a little bit harder to install and setup, but once you have it set you should be good to go for a long time.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Does the engine still run ok with this ticking noise? does it have a misfire? Are you sure its not just an exhaust manifold leak?(these motors have manifold bolts that like to break off and allow the exhaust to leak quite often.) I have seen videos of guys having the rocker arms pop out. The engine then begins to miss and a check engine light will usually come on. One guy had had this happen often enough, that he carried a wrench with him to "POP" it back in again wherever he was. If you are having issues with the engine running poorly as well, i would want to look under that valve cover and double check this. If it still runs ok, then it could very well be a collapsed lifter as described above. It may loosen up and start working after you drive it a little bit, or it may not. If you end up having to replace them, the solid lifters are better in the long run because they wont collapse like the originals. The solid lifter are a little bit harder to install and setup, but once you have it set you should be good to go for a long time.
Well depends on what you call ok; the car is wobbly as hell (its on the middle of a suspension rebuild) but there's no loss of power and it has good response when accelerating, nothing that indicates that the engine is bad, no check engine light on, oil pressure hovers above the middle mark.

the ticking noise is only coming out of the passenger side cylinder head, the driver side is whisper quiet, I mean you can hear it in there but it not ticking, it all sounds smooth; there's also a broken pcv valve hose, don't know if that has anything to do with that.

I was thinking that either lifters were bad or the timing chain for the passenger side stretched somehow but that doesn't explain the driver side being good; I should check the manifold bolts and see if they are good.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 05:41 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Yes exhaust manifold is easy to spot. If there are any open holes without a bolt in them, they most likely broke off from being 20 years old. That means the exhaust is leaking out around the gasket. This creates a loud ticking noise when cold, then it quiets down some as the engine gets up to operating temperature.

If you dont see anything there, its time to pop off the valve cover and have a look in there...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 16 Old 02-26-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Yes exhaust manifold is easy to spot. If there are any open holes without a bolt in them, they most likely broke off from being 20 years old. That means the exhaust is leaking out around the gasket. This creates a loud ticking noise when cold, then it quiets down some as the engine gets up to operating temperature.

If you dont see anything there, its time to pop off the valve cover and have a look in there...
I'm gonna test tomorrow, let the engine warm up and give it a go with the stethoscope after I will check the manifold bolts.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 08:18 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

Ticking - I think the exhaust manifold is the more likely source - bolt, heat shield, etc. My '99 has done it for over 10 years. Not an emergency deal but I do try to always keep things vented in the cab. Clearance issues make pulling an exhaust manifold on the 4.7 look like a nightmare which is why I've never addressed it.

PCV valve - these can and DO tick. On the V8 it's over there near the front of the passenger head. Cheap and easy to replace.

Lifters (technically lash adjusters) - pretty easy to disassemble but harder to get back together properly with that ridiculous crimp. I thought I'd take mine apart and clean them but it became clear pretty quickly that I'd be better off just buying some new ones. You don't want that crimp coming loose in operation and it's too hard to make sure it's back crimped as good as it was. They DO gum up but maybe a Seafoam treatment (or similar) would loosen them back up.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #11 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 02:22 PM
ParkerStovall42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerStovall42 View Post
that's the way to describe it loud ticking, like it had a lack of lubrication; what is the benefit of a solid lifter?
The benefit is there is no hydraulic action to futz around with so you eliminate the possibility of them failing due to dirt or contamination causing a clog and failure like what you're likely experiencing. The drawback is you have to manually adjust them to the correct lash on installation. It is possible to disassemble and repair the lifters although I wouldn't recommend it except it seemed like you were in a situation where parts availability may be an issue. Pop the valve cover off and check for play in the rockers. It'll be obvious which one has failed if that is indeed your issue.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-03-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
Ticking - I think the exhaust manifold is the more likely source - bolt, heat shield, etc. My '99 has done it for over 10 years. Not an emergency deal but I do try to always keep things vented in the cab. Clearance issues make pulling an exhaust manifold on the 4.7 look like a nightmare which is why I've never addressed it.

PCV valve - these can and DO tick. On the V8 it's over there near the front of the passenger head. Cheap and easy to replace.

Lifters (technically lash adjusters) - pretty easy to disassemble but harder to get back together properly with that ridiculous crimp. I thought I'd take mine apart and clean them but it became clear pretty quickly that I'd be better off just buying some new ones. You don't want that crimp coming loose in operation and it's too hard to make sure it's back crimped as good as it was. They DO gum up but maybe a Seafoam treatment (or similar) would loosen them back up.
Hey there, my dad got the jeep back from the suspension shop and I checked it, Well interesting point about the pcv valve, the hose is broken, the pcv valve is not connected to anything on the engine, there seems to be missing also the hose from the crankshaft breather tube on the driver side.

I checked the manifold bolts and they seem good, there's not a bolt broken and the shield is on there with no play; Im not sure if its the pcv valve and the other hose missing that could be causing this, I mean i see no reason why the driver side cylinder head is sounding good and the other one is ticking.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
It could still be a ticking lifter, but there is only one sure way to find it. You gottta remove the valve cover and get messy. Idle the engine with the valve cover off and use a wodden hammer handle or something similar and push slightly on each rocker arm. The noise should stop or change when you get to the right one. Ticking comes from to much valve lash at the rocker arm, and it is actually pulling away from the valve tip/camshaft and them slamming back together as the cam lobe comes around. That description sounds way worse than it really is, but it gets a visual going. My Mom had an old Mercury Comet with a 302 V8 in it when i was in high school. It had a ticking lifter in it for almost 300K miles. Usually its more annoying than anything. The way the engine runs is the tipoff. If it runs good, no check engine light, good oil pressure, then it may run for a long time that way. If you can stand to listen to it.

If the engine runs like crap and it turns on the check engine light, or sets codes, then this becomes a entirely different scenario....

post #14 of 16 Old 03-04-2020, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
It could still be a ticking lifter, but there is only one sure way to find it. You gottta remove the valve cover and get messy. Idle the engine with the valve cover off and use a wodden hammer handle or something similar and push slightly on each rocker arm. The noise should stop or change when you get to the right one. Ticking comes from to much valve lash at the rocker arm, and it is actually pulling away from the valve tip/camshaft and them slamming back together as the cam lobe comes around. That description sounds way worse than it really is, but it gets a visual going. My Mom had an old Mercury Comet with a 302 V8 in it when i was in high school. It had a ticking lifter in it for almost 300K miles. Usually its more annoying than anything. The way the engine runs is the tipoff. If it runs good, no check engine light, good oil pressure, then it may run for a long time that way. If you can stand to listen to it.

If the engine runs like crap and it turns on the check engine light, or sets codes, then this becomes a entirely different scenario....
Thanks for the info, Ill do what you suggest and take off the valve covers to check; The engine is honestly running great, accelerates good, it idles good (apart from that ticking sound), oil pressure is never below the middle mark on the gauge and so far no check engine lights or anything else on the dash.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I say run it for a little while, but if you just cant stand it, let us know what you find when you get under the valve cover...Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in