Engine stalls, nearly dies to a stutter, out of nowhere. Then cranks but won't start - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
ClownInAJeep
2000 WJ 

Engine stalls, nearly dies to a stutter, out of nowhere. Then cranks but won't start

It's midnight, pouring rain, here in Indiana. And I'm sitting here in my nemesis, contemplating life, and sad the ice cream in the back is melting.

Anyways, I'm about to rip out my the remaining stragglers still clinging from my bald head. I think this problem is something I've been trying to fix for a while now. And each time I thought I had it finally come together. The wicked WJ proves once again... I should really stop thinking I can learn to work on my cars.

To the point now:
2000 WJ 4.7 with ~190,000 (maybe only 30,000 on engine as PO said he put a crate engine in it)

Main issue: driving and sounds great (as far as I can tell, but my great might be an actual mechanic's ticking time bomb) then all of a sudden the engine dies to a stutter. I can downshift to 2 but no throttle response. Barely moves and sounds on the brink of dying. Put it I park and turn her off. Try to restart, and tons of crank with even more nothing after that. Then sometimes if i wait a while as if to let it cool. It might fire right up, sounding good and powerful, and drive the rest of the way with no signs of any trouble at all. And recently before this I had my catalytic converter catch on fire! So we figured plugged cat. Put in a temp replacement from parts car, but ended up with same stalling and super hot cat again. Luckily no fire skiff second time. I tried to check for misfiring somewhere, checked plugs, coils, and injectors and all seemed to meet spec. Replaced injector O-rings. Engine seemed to be starting fine and no other indications of something wrong. Thought I had it under control and put in Kolak exhaust. Man, she sure sounded purrty. And at first it was feeling like the engine was running even better. Then tonight she stalled to a stutter again, I maybe foolishly try pushing it a little in hopes that more gas can bring it back, which it seemed to for a minute. But sure enough it hits that stall again and I putter to side of the road. This time smells a little different. Take a look underneath, and sure enough the brand new cat is glowing red a little bit. I sure hope I didn't burn this one too.

I can't for the life of me figure out which one of my repairs I royally screwed up. I can admit I don't really know what I'm doing. So far only codes on dash are P0320 and P700. But don't know the specifics under those (the couple auto stores I stopped at aren't doing them cuz of Covid). But this will be tomorrow's problem.

Anyone got any thought? Would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 01:20 AM
Klarah523

2000 WJ 

Garage
I'll just leave a couple of notes and then let someone that knows more chip in.

P0320 is crank and/or cam position sensor. Check wiring first.

P0700 is transmission, possible one of the speed sensors.

Old thread here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...p0320-1248960/

Good luck!

2000 WJ (Laredo w/ 4.0L) =|||||||=
post #3 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 02:48 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Man, sorry to hear you are still struggling with this.

Klarah523 has great advice, only thing I can add at this point is to keep digging until you get all the codes to stay cleared. The Cam and crank sensors aren't terrible to do, but do it in the morning before you start the Jeep. The starter has to come out, and you dont want hot exhaust to work around. I had issues with my Crankshaft sensor, but swapped both while I was at it. The Cam sensor is easy, but hard to see.

Need to figure out exactly which trans codes you have, before you start swapping parts. But i sure hope its one of the speed sensors. Sounds easy to fix.

Hang in there Man! Don't get down on yourself to much, when you finally get this handled, you will have a sweet Jeep. I dont think you are that far away....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
ClownInAJeep
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the encouragement. its bewilderring to me. I've tried to be careful and reading thru the threads on here, trying to learn how to accurately diagnose something rather than just parts swappin. i had replaced the crank and cam sensors not long after a bought the WJ, but before I learned that those really should be Mopar. I've got them ordered now from Summit. But that doesnt exacly help a guy out at midnight. We'll see what i can sleuth once I get it back home, hopefully today.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-24-2020, 06:33 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownInAJeep View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. its bewilderring to me. I've tried to be careful and reading thru the threads on here, trying to learn how to accurately diagnose something rather than just parts swappin. i had replaced the crank and cam sensors not long after a bought the WJ, but before I learned that those really should be Mopar. I've got them ordered now from Summit. But that doesnt exacly help a guy out at midnight. We'll see what i can sleuth once I get it back home, hopefully today.
I'm sitting in the driveway tossing wood in the smoker all day, stop by on the way home if you can and we'll get you hooked up to a real shop level scanner with live data and see what's going on with that the pcm isn't seeing the right data values from the cam and crank sensors or it's on it's way out and can't process the sensor input correctly.

Shoot me an email with your number, that will go right to the phone and I'll see it pretty much right away.
Klarah523 likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-26-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
ClownInAJeep
2000 WJ 

just to update ya'll real quick. turns out I melted that new cat converter. I got mopar cam and crank sensors on the way and I'll be finding a time to take the PCM over to Waterluvr sometime this week. Overall, this seems really confusing to me. As far as I know, everything else is in order with the jeep. But there's also a good chance I am missing something, probably simple, but more obvious to a more exprienced mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4221.jpg  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2020, 12:32 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Damn, thats crazy! I have to admit, you kinda have me stumped here as well. Only thing that makes sense is a very overrich situation that feeds the big flame in the Cat and exhaust. Hopefully Waterluver can find something inside that PCM.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 16 Old 05-27-2020, 11:51 PM
bsimula23

I had the same issue with my 04 GC 180,000 miles 2x4 L6. My cat was showing symptoms of being clogged.. fixed that then I had same random dying issues with it...mostly it would try to stall out when in drive foot on brake but it would also do it randomly while driving too. I had same p320 code. I replaced my camshaft and crankshaft sensor and it fixed the problem. Prior to replacing those sensors I also replaced ignition coil too. Hope this helps...
post #9 of 16 Old 05-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Manxcat
2014 WK 

Garage
I had my crank sensor fail in a similar way except for one detail...it always stalled out in the exact same spot driving over this little bridge. Pretty easy to change, its been about 5 or 6 years since I changed it, never had another problem. I didn't change anything else troubleshooting either, just the crank sensor.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-30-2020, 12:25 AM
Swiff
2000 WJ 

Garage
also check fuel pump pressure

Derek
2k WJ Laredo - 4.0L - 42RE - Select-Trac 242 - 3.55 -
post #11 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
ClownInAJeep
2000 WJ 

Quick little update for those that stop by. Kept sounding like the engine was running super rich once it got to temp. And I'll admit I'm still learning how to diagnose things properly and sometimes jump the gun on buying parts. But knowing I had replaced the cam and crank shaft sensors about a year and a half ago (before knowing the importance of getting Mopar), I figured I should replace my replacements with Mopar sensors. And what do ya know? I've been able to get from A to B without a tow or another back up vehicle or a friend picking me up or anything wrong the past couple days. I still don't know what exactly was going on and am a little suspicious of the PCM. So I'm stopping by Waterluvr's shop today to get his in person review and probably a schooling on my mistakes lol

long story short- if you don't have mopar cam and crank sensors, ya need to

thanks again all for your advice on this. I'll chime in again after Waterluvr gets a look
DJCantonGA, Bigrigr and Klarah523 like this.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-03-2020, 01:15 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownInAJeep View Post
Quick little update for those that stop by. Kept sounding like the engine was running super rich once it got to temp. And I'll admit I'm still learning how to diagnose things properly and sometimes jump the gun on buying parts. But knowing I had replaced the cam and crank shaft sensors about a year and a half ago (before knowing the importance of getting Mopar), I figured I should replace my replacements with Mopar sensors. And what do ya know? I've been able to get from A to B without a tow or another back up vehicle or a friend picking me up or anything wrong the past couple days. I still don't know what exactly was going on and am a little suspicious of the PCM. So I'm stopping by Waterluvr's shop today to get his in person review and probably a schooling on my mistakes lol

long story short- if you don't have mopar cam and crank sensors, ya need to

thanks again all for your advice on this. I'll chime in again after Waterluvr gets a look

Thanks for the updates, I sure am curious how this turns out. I have aftermarket Crank and Cam sensors in mine right now....

post #13 of 16 Old 06-08-2020, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
ClownInAJeep
2000 WJ 

Waterluvr is a smart man. Very helpful, even though i couldn't understand half the measurements he could get with his diagnostic software. Good news, the jeep isn't going to blow up. In fact, he pointed out the oil pressure was looking like a brand new jeep, not one with 190,000 miles. Bad news, definitely had a few too many other readings that were all over the place. Clear sign of the PCM going bad and should be replaced. Also, O2 sensors were shorted out or something and need to replace them. Luckily, he has the PCM and I'm sure his will be better than any refurbished stuff a lot of people find out there. Hopefully I can make that happen in a week or 2. For now, i was able to order the 02 sensors and they just arrived. So i'll be putting those on later today.

Fingers crossed the sensors will improve things until I can get the PCM.
Waterluvr and Klarah523 like this.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
When you get those 02 sensors in disconnect the battery cables for a few minutes and hook it back up and drive it a bit, do you know the key trick for pulling codes on a WJ?
post #15 of 16 Old 06-11-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
ClownInAJeep
2000 WJ 

So finally got the O2 sensors in and drove around a good but yesterday. And it's a whole new beast. No codes when I do the key trick. Although the Skim light has been coming on and staying on, but no change in anything. Does still feel maybe a little sluggish on the lower end when I'm starting off the line from like a stoplight. Still planning to get a PCM from Waterluvr as soon as I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in