Engine rough idle and ticking/knocking - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By xcaliber81
  • 1 Post By cDee63

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Overdoseland

2002 WJ 

Need some help indentifying ticking/knocking noise on my 02 Overland. I have an exhaust manifold leak and I’ve been driving with it for a while. One of the bolts in the back driver side snapped off the manifold heat shield. About several months ago I noticed the vehicle began having power loss at higher rpm (over 3k rpm). First it threw o2 sensor code,cleared the code and never came back then recently it’s been throwing p0740 code which is the torque converter clutch solenoid circuit malfunction. The Jeep still shifted gears fine, only issue was power loss at higher rpm and speeds. I can still get up to 120km/hr without hammering the throttle. Long story short, last night it drove fine until I stopped at the gas station and filled up. I started the Jeep after filling up and it just idled really rough and stalled couple times. I barely made it across the street to get home. I parked the Jeep and left it overnight. Usually when it cools down it starts up fine again after rough idling. Didn’t throw any codes yet until this afternoon. I went to start it and same rough idle and shaking. It’s now throwing p0300,p0301and p0302 codes which is cylinder misfiring. I’m wondering if it’s engine knock or valve train ticking. It sounds like it’s from above. Below is a link to the video of the Jeep idling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRZTZLDLZ90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:15 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Sounds like one or more of the rockers and/or valves, especially since it changes with RPM. I currently have a small exhaust leak on the rear drivers side and the noise goes away with a little throttle. Might want to remove a valve cover to get a visual.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:17 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

What are your plans with this? I just so happen to need an interior lol. Sorry to jump the gun. I'm 8 hrs away.
Mr. Bitey likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:25 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Sounds as if you kicked a rocker or dropped a seat.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Overdoseland

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
Sounds like one or more of the lifters and/or valves, especially since it changes with RPM. I currently have a small exhaust leak on the rear drivers side and the noise goes away with a little throttle. Might want to remove a valve cover to get a visual.

Mine usually goes away after its warmed up but after yesterday it’s been idling real rough with the louder ticking/knocking noise. So you don’t think it’s an engine knock SoCal? I’d like to try and fix it if it’s not that bad. The valve cover gaskets need to be changed also as it’s leaking oil slowly.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Overdoseland

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
How hard is it to fix, if it’s that?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
post #8 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
A kicked rocker is no big deal. Replace the adjuster under it and pry it back into place.....IF it didn't take a part of the head casting with it. Dropped seat is a much bigger deal, see the sticky about it "dropped seat poll"
SoCal2004wj likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #9 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:39 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoseland View Post
Mine usually goes away after its warmed up but after yesterday itís been idling real rough with the louder ticking/knocking noise. So you donít think itís an engine knock SoCal? Iíd like to try and fix it if itís not that bad. The valve cover gaskets need to be changed also as itís leaking oil slowly.
If it were a rod knock, the sound would be more noticeable on the bottom end of the engine. Going off the video you linked, it really sounds like it's coming from the top end.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-13-2021, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Overdoseland

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoseland View Post
Mine usually goes away after its warmed up but after yesterday it’s been idling real rough with the louder ticking/knocking noise. So you don’t think it’s an engine knock SoCal? I’d like to try and fix it if it’s not that bad. The valve cover gaskets need to be changed also as it’s leaking oil slowly.
If it were a rod knock, the sound would be more noticeable on the bottom end of the engine. Going off the video you linked, it really sounds like it's coming from the top end.

I agree, I mainly hear the noise on the top area of the engine.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-18-2021, 11:40 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Another vote for rocker arm. STOP running that engine now!
If the loose rocker gets to moving around in there it will take out the cam mount and a new head is in order.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in