Ebay aluminum radiator install on an 04 4.0 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
ou2mame

Ebay aluminum radiator install on an 04 4.0

I've been doing a little reading on install one of those ebay aluminum radiators on a 04 4.0. There's necessary adapters for the transmission lines for the internal cooler?

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd like to order everything I need and the radiator is leaking!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Radiator-For-1999-2004-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-6Cyl-4-0l-L6-AT-MT-Polish-/193228169240

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 08:25 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

I purchased a two-row aluminum from ebay about 18 months ago. The fitment was fine and didn't need any additional parts. It should be noted that I bypassed the radiator trans cooler since I have an external unit.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
ou2mame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
I purchased a two-row aluminum from ebay about 18 months ago. The fitment was fine and didn't need any additional parts. It should be noted that I bypassed the radiator trans cooler since I have an external unit.

I'm looking to use the internal trans cooler in the radiator. Good to know they fit though lol

Would this be what I need to run new rubber hoses from the stock hard lines coming from the tranny?

EDGE INDUSTRIAL 3/8" Hose ID to 1/4" Female NPT FNPT Straight Brass Fitting Fuel / AIR / Water / Oil / Gas / WOG (Qty 01) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CSJSS...M3HQ15SNRWF4K9

post #4 of 12 Old 10-13-2021, 08:53 PM
carlsondrew3

2004 WJ 

Garage
Ebay aluminum radiator install on an 04 4.0

I havenít toyed with my radiator much, but from what Iíve heard through the grapevine, you should try and replace it with an OEM one if at all possible. Apparently aftermarket systemís have had rather inconsistent build quality the past few years, and the 4.0 is surprisingly picky regarding coolant flow if Iím not mistaken. However, Iím no expert and certainly donít claim this to be gospel - but might be worth looking into so you can make the most educated purchase. Not worth skimping out on the radiator for obvious reasons of course.

2004 WJ 4.0L - "Jordan"
2.5" Lift, Rusty's Front Springs, BDS Rear Springs, FOX 2.0 BDS IFP,
IRO Custom Double Cardan Front Driveshaft

Check it out on RevKit and Instagram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 09:06 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

I have the aluminum radiator and I ended up being forced to use an external trans cooler because no matter what I did, the transmission lines leaked at the radiator fittings.

A good external cooler is superior anyway so it's all good.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
Powerful Wanderer (wife named it after driving it)
265/70/17 MT, 2" BDS lift
post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 01:10 PM
darkstarmoto
2004 WJ 

If you have an 04 isn't your trans cooler in the A/C condenser and not in radiator? Mine is.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 03:02 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
If you have an 04 isn't your trans cooler in the A/C condenser and not in radiator? Mine is.
I believe that's the power steering cooler in the A/C condenser.

My trans cooler was definitely in the radiator.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
post #8 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 06:16 PM
darkstarmoto
2004 WJ 

My rad does have fittings for a trans cooler as well but the 04's were weirdly unique and used the top 4" of condenser for trans cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I also thought this would be easier to answer than it is and good question. Below is a thread where the guy is installing an auxiliary trans cooler behind the front grill. Note he has the 2004 4.0L and says his trans cooler lines are in the AC condenser and not in the radiator. But he also has the tow package which you don't.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...uting-1349886/

Some in that thread say they have the 2003 4.0 with the trans oil cooler lines in the radiator instead of the AC condenser which makes it confusing.

In looking up the AC condenser on the 04 WJ parts list for the 4.0 (Fig. 024-250) only one is listed; OE # 5511 6931AA, "Cooler, Condenser and Aux TOC". Would assume 'TOC' stands for 'transmission oil cooler'.

All this writing and tevans59 has the best answer, "If you have an a/c condenser with a integrated transmission cooler I would trace the lines back to their origin... if they lead back to the ac and tranny then you know what you need .. "

If you have the trans cooler in your AC condenser I'd likely buy the below new Denso 4770798 AC Condenser from Rockauto at $70 plus shipping. And it cross-references with the OE number I listed above from the 04 parts list. You should check the photos of the connectors on the sides with your current condenser.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=387&jsn=387

Normally shipping isn't too bad since it's a bulk rate. But I don't buy anything from Rockauto w/o entering in one of the below 5% off discount codes. You enter it in the "How did you hear about us?" box at checkout. Good luck.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com
post #9 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 06:48 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

Mine is the 4.7 instead of the 4.0 so that's probably where the difference is.

The 4.7 uses the power steering pump to run the hydraulic cooling fan so it needed the large power steering cooler.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 06:49 PM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

with external the tranny gets no heat. needs it in winter. gotta run hot

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2021, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
ou2mame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
I have the aluminum radiator and I ended up being forced to use an external trans cooler because no matter what I did, the transmission lines leaked at the radiator fittings.

A good external cooler is superior anyway so it's all good.
So what you're saying is... RTV the threads of the transmission cooler lines? lol
post #12 of 12 Old 10-15-2021, 09:04 PM
arizonawj
2004 WJ 

I have an 2004 4.0 and replaced my radiator two years ago. I used the Mopar, part # 55037722AA. My WJ had a separate cooler that sits in front of the radiator and is shared by both the A/C lines and the transmission. I didn't have to touch the A/C lines to replace the radiator (I moved the cooler around a bit but didn't remove it from the vehicle) but I did have to disconnect the transmission hard lines from the driver's side of that cooler. There are small o-rings that seal the transmission line into that front cooler. I wanted to replace those because mine looked pretty awful and I was doubtful if they would hold a seal after I disturbed them. After I spent way too much time debating o-rings in my usual overkill style, I purchased Viton #905 o-rings (Grainger part number 1CRX9) and they have held up perfectly. Hope this helps. The radiator replacement was pretty straightforward; it's mostly just a question of making space and figuring out how to wiggle it in and out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in