Driveline whine - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
LTopher
2001 WJ 

Wj Driveline whine

My WJ developed a whine yesterday and I'm trying to pinpoint what it is. Here are the details:
  • Present during accel and decel
  • Gets louder as speed increases
  • Engaging 4x4 does not change anything
  • Turning does not change anything
  • Seems to be up front as far as I can tell

Any idea what the sound is?

Programmers don't die, they just lose their memory!

His: 2001 WJ I6
Hers: 2011 WK2 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 08:34 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Not related to engine RPM? First thing I'd suspect would be differential going out. I'd pull covers and check for metal in the housings. More likely rear than front since it takes the majority of the abuse. Next I'd check driveshaft u joints. Chances are you'll find your issue related to one of those two areas.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 04:26 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTopher View Post
My WJ developed a whine yesterday and I'm trying to pinpoint what it is. Here are the details:
  • Present during accel and decel
  • Gets louder as speed increases
  • Engaging 4x4 does not change anything
  • Turning does not change anything
  • Seems to be up front as far as I can tell

Any idea what the sound is?
Hello LTopher,
If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Laura
JeepCares

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Before you tear into the diffs, I would double check the front wheel bearings, They make a heck of a racket when the bearings get loose. Quick check would be to jack up each front wheel and grab the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle up and down. If there is ANY play, your wheel bearings need replaced. Be careful though, loose ball joints can do the same movement when they are shot as well. Also, don't forget the rear wheel bearings can make noise as well. But its a much tougher deal to find rear wheel bearing problems.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
LTopher
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Not related to engine RPM? First thing I'd suspect would be differential going out. I'd pull covers and check for metal in the housings. More likely rear than front since it takes the majority of the abuse. Next I'd check driveshaft u joints. Chances are you'll find your issue related to one of those two areas.
Correct, sound is unrelated to engine RPM.

Sound is definitely coming from the front and is present while coasting. Good call on the u-joints though, I'm checking that first. I converted my front rzeppa driveshaft to a Carolina Driveline roughly 10 months ago and haven't greased it yet.

Wheel bearings were replaced maybe 40-50k miles ago, but its worth checking.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Grease is a jeep driveline's friend.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 12 Old 01-19-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
LTopher
2001 WJ 

Greased the front driveshaft and no change. Even removed the front driveshaft and no change.

When I replaced the front driveshaft a while back, I marked the differential pinion nut with paint and it looks like it backed off about a 1/8 turn. I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but I'm thinking to tighten the nut and see. I figure worst case scenario, I'll need to rebuild the diff either way. Thoughts?

post #8 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 08:47 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Could it be Tire noise? Rotate tires, see if noise changes. Tighten that nut two grunts, paint marks be damned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #9 of 12 Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Agreed, I would snug that pinion nut and see what happens. Best if you have a inch/lb torque wrench to double check the pinion torque load, but many people(me included) just try to get it close. When you get it tight, take a metal chisel and a hammer and stake a couple notches in the edge of the nut(right where the threads are coming out of the top of the nut) to keep it from backing off again. Also, tires can make ALOT of noise. I have had three different sets of Cooper Discoverer AT's that howled going down the road. One set was so noisy that i thought I had a wheel bearing going out. Its wise advice by GmanWJ to rotate and balance your tires as well.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-28-2020, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
LTopher
2001 WJ 

Update: I managed to snug the diff nut just a bit tighter and bend the end of my socket wrench as well (thank goodness for HarborFreight!)
Anyway, my suspicions about where the problem is were confirmed when the noise suddenly became louder and higher pitched. I may be able to back the nut off and quiet it down, but should I think about a diff rebuild at this point? I haven't been driving the Jeep for fear of completely trashing the diff.

Got a quote from a local shop to rebuild the diff for $1200. Seems a little high to me. They priced the kit itself for $400, but I found a Timken kit for $95 on Rockauto

post #11 of 12 Old 01-28-2020, 08:27 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
I had a reputable shop in Houston quote me $900 to rebuild front and $600 for the rear so that sounds high. If it was me I'd probably look for a junkyard axle and just swap it.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
A JY swap complete axle assembly would be the cheap and easier way to go, if you have any desire to do it yourself. Otherwise your at the mercy of whatever shop you bring it to. Diff rebuilds are pretty labor intensive, so I would shop around and get a second and third quote before dropping that kinda coin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in