drive train upgrades - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Ttim
2000 WJ 

Garage
drive train upgrades

finishing off my fun rig with new stuffs before i go back to the trails this year. 99 with 4.7, Iron Rock 6"lift, running 33s with more possibly coming in the future. found a place locally that sells rebuilt hd select trac transfer cases for $800, but not sure of how good that price is, as i cant find any for sale to compare it to.

i want to upgrade the axles to matching d44s. my understanding is that the jk axles are a pretty close match in width. anyone know how accurate this is? i also sourced a local guy who has a complete set out of a rubicon with low miles, 4.10 gearing. asking $5k for the set.

with the automatic and v8, would this gearing be sufficient, or would i need to do more like a 4.88? i know im going to have to cut the mounts off and weld the right ones on, so if a regear needs to happen i might as well start with something cheaper and build it up, is my basic thinking. i dont get much free time, which is why the rubicon axles are an appealing, if more pricey, option

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2020, 10:28 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
800 bucks for the rebuilt 242HD may not be to bad of deal. People pay 300-500.00 for a used one with a rear driveline to swap in. Just be aware that you will need a different rear driveline to go with it.

4:10's wont be low enough if you will be 33's-35's, Jeep set these things up with 3:73 gears for 29" tires. With 35's, 4:88's might not even be enough...Look up a good gearing calculator on the Interwebs and play a little with it.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2020, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Ttim
2000 WJ 

Garage
I will do the double cardan (sp?) rear driveshaft because of the lift input on. It might not be needed, but the old one was shot so might as well do a really nice one. I have the same for a front driveshaft already.

I am disappointed the gearing won't work tho. I've driven it from Denver to Moab a few times, it actually drives pretty damn good up and over the mountain passes. But I want the off-road and crawling ability more than an easy 80-90mph cruise speed.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2020, 11:53 AM
smokeyyank

Evergreen in CO?

$800 is pretty pricey. When I bought mine I paid $275 for the tcase and driveshaft from a dismantler. Rebuilt kits aren't that much. Check out car-part.com I'm showing possibly a few 4.7 242's around if you're in Denver.

I would disagree about 4.88's not being enough even 4.10's you could probably be fine on. If you had a 4.0 probably not enough but in the 4.7 shouldn't be an issue. I run 32's on 3.73's and can haul up I70 at 80+ without issues plus does fine off road. No lack of anything. 4.88's on 35's would be plenty. I would pass on the JK 44's at 5k that's stupid expensive. Might as well just go to tons or build something. You can swap in a 9" in the rear and regear the D30 up front with a truss. If you're lucky look for a HPD44 and 9" combo. Full width, super buildable and less clunky then tons. I'll eventually put that combo on mine when I have the cash to do it with LA.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Ttim
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Evergreen in CO?

$800 is pretty pricey. When I bought mine I paid $275 for the tcase and driveshaft from a dismantler. Rebuilt kits aren't that much. Check out car-part.com I'm showing possibly a few 4.7 242's around if you're in Denver.

I would disagree about 4.88's not being enough even 4.10's you could probably be fine on. If you had a 4.0 probably not enough but in the 4.7 shouldn't be an issue. I run 32's on 3.73's and can haul up I70 at 80+ without issues plus does fine off road. No lack of anything. 4.88's on 35's would be plenty. I would pass on the JK 44's at 5k that's stupid expensive. Might as well just go to tons or build something. You can swap in a 9" in the rear and regear the D30 up front with a truss. If you're lucky look for a HPD44 and 9" combo. Full width, super buildable and less clunky then tons. I'll eventually put that combo on mine when I have the cash to do it with LA.

yes, evergreen, colorado. the closest 242hd is in nebraska, they want almost 400 for shipping alone, because i dont have access to a business address with a dock or forklift. when everything adds up, its not worth my time for the very small savings. time is my biggest issue with most of this, since i work 7days a week on average. i have been looking at car-part.com for a bit tho. just no luck within 100 miles.
i thought someone had told the the d30 would be a bad choice if i wanted to regear past a 4.10?
another thing i need knowledge on was the axles widths. are all 9" the same width, if you get one it would match with a d44 full width? this is my first build that was not a tj so my knowledge is lacking on full size.

EDIT:apparently, car parts has a different setup when using mobile. just looked again on my laptop, and have several options locally.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2020, 08:18 PM
smokeyyank

Nice! I'm up around Vail but grew up in Littleton.

Other thing will be the driveshaft. If you dont get one you'll have to modify yours to work. That can be a few hundred. You also have to call around and confirm. Few places I asked either had no clue or it was listed wrong. I get the thing about time though.

Wms is about the same between a 9 and jk d44 at 65". You just need to look for a f150 31 spline big bearing are ideal. You can easily run 4.10s on a d30. 4.88s are about the max but I know they have a 5.13 for the XJ d30.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in