These look impressive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 10-14-2021, 08:38 PM
JonMopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
These look impressive!

A 4.0 wouldn’t know what to do with that much spark. It probably would just say “nope!” And just not start lol

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #33 of 48 Old 10-15-2021, 08:55 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Interesting

For a WEAK and IGNORANT sheople, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW

post #34 of 48 Old 10-15-2021, 11:30 PM
Boojo35
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I skipped over reading most of this thread because most of it is BS.

Spark plugs have this thing that is known as heat range. It does not matter the material the plug is made of but the heat of the spark is critical. I can look up spark plugs at work and literally find 50 answers for a given car. I will ONLY order the ones that are OE. I have been burned a zillion times or diagnosed as many a car that runs poorly because somebody installed something other than OE.

But, Iridium vs copper vs platinum does not matter. It is the heat range of the plug. NOT the material.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #35 of 48 Old 10-15-2021, 11:49 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post

Spark plugs have this thing that is known as heat range. It does not matter the material the plug is made of but the heat of the spark is critical. I can look up spark plugs at work and literally find 50 answers for a given car. I will ONLY order the ones that are OE. I have been burned a zillion times or diagnosed as many a car that runs poorly because somebody installed something other than OE.

But, Iridium vs copper vs platinum does not matter. It is the heat range of the plug. NOT the material.
Sure 👍
WJ60 likes this.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #36 of 48 Old 10-16-2021, 09:23 AM
V8GCZJ

Explain you theory why one manufacture (the one oem used) doesn't run as well as brand X with the same heat range/type(copper)? Ie: Champion vs Autolite
post #37 of 48 Old 10-17-2021, 05:57 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Heat range is controlled in large part with the design of the alumina ceramic insulator and where and how it contacts the metal exterior cylinder.

post #38 of 48 Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 PM
Boojo35
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
https://www.denso.com/global/en/prod...sic/heatrange/

Here is a place to start to understand spark plug heat ranges.

Lets go back for a second to the old school SBC days. They came with something like a R4*TS. There were a few basic numbers like R43TS, R44TS and R45TS. These plugs were interchangeable but the heat ranges were different and they were a piece of the puzzle to fine tuning an engine. Cams, headers, intakes, carbs, compression, etc can all change an engines needs for a spark plug. This was a piece of the puzzle to being a hero or a zero.... It still is today but people are losing the skill of really tuning without having data telling them what to do. Data causes people to chase sensors and stuff and totally forget the theory that makes stuff run and how to manually tune it. True tuning is really becoming more of a lost art.

So. If AC Delco for instance builds the OEM plug for an engine or an engine is designed that a particular AC Delco plug made it work through all of its EPA and dyno testing, etc. it is pretty sure to work correctly. So now I use a cross reference to find a spark plug. Sure, a lot of others may have the correct thread dimensions, reach, etc. but there may be anywhere from 20 to 50 plugs that say they fit this engine. I guarantee you that not all of them are the correct heat range and are a poor cross reference. An example I can give is if you see a Honda that runs poorly, has fuel trims that are well off zero, recently had a tune up. Bogs, poor acceleration or idle or whatever... there can be many symptoms. If you pull the spark plugs and see the Bosch name on them. Replace them. You have a 99% chance of fixing the problem by doing so. I know. My experience counts as nothing to some folks but for the doubters that are willing to open the link I posted and learn something, it may open your eyes to something new.

Quote:
@ravenworks

Sure 👍
For this guy I have no response. He has proven over and over that he is a genius. I cannot compete with his knowledge.
leadsled jeep likes this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #39 of 48 Old 10-21-2021, 05:01 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

As I was helping design igniters (spark plugs) for jets, I’d also longitudinally cut apart my car plugs with the diamond saw for skits and grins. They are a marvel of simplicity in design
cDee63 likes this.

post #40 of 48 Old 10-21-2021, 02:18 PM
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrvrtrainer View Post
I had the same experience with platinum plugs in mine. It does seem to run better with copper.
Agreed. This is true from my anecdotal experience as well.
post #41 of 48 Old 10-24-2021, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post

I deal with heat ranges in spark plugs daily as a small engine tech. So I am well versed in heat ranges.
What you are saying may be true, IF I had used a different heat range plug. But I did not.
The factory plug is a champion 438 (RC12ECC).
The platinum plug I tried was a champion 7034 (RC12PEPB5).
On champion spark plugs, R stands for resistor, C stands for 14mm threads, 3/4 reach, 5/8 hex.
Then the number is the heat range. Notice how both of the above plugs are both a heat range 12?
So heat range had no effect in this at all, as they were both the same heat range, only the metal on the electrodes was the difference.

Sometimes it helps if you actually read the whole tread before skipping it and posting something.
WJ60 likes this.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #42 of 48 Old 10-24-2021, 12:15 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Iíve been known to make an error (or two!) in my day as well. LOL.

post #43 of 48 Old 10-24-2021, 01:47 PM
Delta0

What's the correct plug for an 03 4.7 HO please?

My parts book says SPRC7PYCB4.

Champion's part finder can't find them.

After I scratted through Champions guff I found RC7PYPB4 were correct.
Have champion renumbered SPRC7PYCB4?

Last edited by Delta0; 10-25-2021 at 12:08 PM.
post #44 of 48 Old 10-26-2021, 10:10 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Seems same with my notes. No idea if something changed however.

Champion RC7PYCB4

post #45 of 48 Old 10-26-2021, 01:12 PM
Delta0

Thanks Lead.
leadsled jeep likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in