Double platinum spark plugs made me lose power. WHY? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 48 Old 08-29-2021, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
I used to design spark plugs for turbine engines back at Unison in FL twenty years ago. I am a materials engineer (MS) though specializing in ceramics.

Pt electrodes should be used when erosion is the main concern. Sparks liberate a tiny bit of metal with each event. Pt resists erosion better than standard plugs. Thatís why plugs round off over time. Spark ya like to jump from sharp corners & these erode over time. Iridium does much the same thing. If you have trouble getting to / reaching plugs to change then yes by all means use them. If access isnít a problem thereís only the downside of slightly greater resistance and slightly less energy with each spark event.

Double ground electrodes is a marketing ploy also really. It does allow the center electrode to use more of its sharp edges BUT it also shields the gas from the spark also. Gimmic really.
Thanks for the explanation.
I had no idea about the resistance of the copper Vs. platinum and the spark each one produces.
It makes a little more sense now why those plugs made me lose power, if the spark is weaker.

I have 4 Jeeps. 3 with the 4.0, and one with a old AMC V8 (401). They all have copper plugs in them, and now they will never have anything but copper plugs.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 Old 08-29-2021, 06:27 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

So bad spark plugs can bog down an engine without misfiring? I always thought if a plug was bad it would misfire. I am having a hard time buying the theory that weak spark plugs can make an engine have less power without misfiring. I will have a chance to prove it to myself. I have a WJ that seems to have less power than my other one. It does have platinum plugs and runs nice and smooth though. If I put some champion copper plugs in it I should notice a nice power increase right? I'll try to make time for that experiment in the next month or two and I'll report back whether it was a waste of time and money or not.

Platinum plugs made my 76 Camaro a completely different car . I have never looked back to the old AC plug days.
post #18 of 48 Old 08-31-2021, 04:26 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
They can. I won't (can't, lol ) get into why, I believe it has to do with the energy of the ignition. I race an old Harley in vintage drags, it is VERY finicky about the plugs. And believe me, old drag racers riding old crap will try any trick in the book for a .01 of a second. The fancier and more modern the plug the crappier it runs, and it is running dual plugs. And I think that is the key, I have 2 plugs firing off the a dual outlet coil but it is still only one coil, and it is not a wasted spark ignition. It runs noticeably better on lawnmower style Champions (R5's, can't get much more basic than that) with the electrode cut back to terminate exactly halfway across the diameter of the center electrode and indexed with the gap toward the intake valve.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

post #19 of 48 Old 09-07-2021, 09:10 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Saying an engine would “bog down” with platinum plugs when it was designed for standard plugs would be a gross exaggeration. Think of it as “best spark event possible” and “best flame front” as sufficient energy is discharged.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT sheople, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #20 of 48 Old 09-07-2021, 02:49 PM
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I used to design spark plugs for turbine engines back at Unison in FL twenty years ago. I am a materials engineer (MS) though specializing in ceramics.

Pt electrodes should be used when erosion is the main concern. Sparks liberate a tiny bit of metal with each event. Pt resists erosion better than standard plugs. Thatís why plugs round off over time. Spark ya like to jump from sharp corners & these erode over time. Iridium does much the same thing. If you have trouble getting to / reaching plugs to change then yes by all means use them. If access isnít a problem thereís only the downside of slightly greater resistance and slightly less energy with each spark event.

Double ground electrodes is a marketing ploy also really. It does allow the center electrode to use more of its sharp edges BUT it also shields the gas from the spark also. Gimmic really.
There is also a bit of electrical engineering and physics in the overall system equation. From a power/energy standpoint, the rule is that maximum power transfer is obtained when the load impedance equals the source impedance. One can substitute resistance for the word impedance to make things simple, but since we are talking about a pulse of energy, it is really an AC circuit and not DC. If platinum sparkplugs (e.g. the load) have a different impedance than the copper (which they do) then the energy created by the field collapsing in the ignition coil is not totally transferred to the sparkplug. Generally speaking, it take ~20K volts to make a sparkplug spark. The interesting thing is that the high voltage potential is required to begin ionization of the gas, and the voltage goes to near zero after ionization and the current flow sustains the ionizaiton. If there is less current (directly affected by the plug resistance) the spark will become weakened, thus directly affecting the ignition of the fuel.
Been many years since I studied this phenomena so I can't quote numbers, just the physics behind it. I am sure there are studies out there identified how much a resistance change in spark plugs affects energy transfer. We see it as 'a badly performing engine'
leadsled jeep and mak_v8 like this.
post #21 of 48 Old 09-08-2021, 10:46 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Interesting....
I had an old Alfa Romeo Alfetta, they used Golden Lodge 2HL spark plugs, they had 4 ground electrodes
All old Alfa Romeo in that age used that spark plugs.
But the engine behaviour was deeply different if using single ground spark plugs...

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #22 of 48 Old 09-09-2021, 05:35 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Yes. Some designs are quite BAD about masking the spark exposure with extra ground electrodes. I’ve seen some that were horrible. Those look quite good actually as they are all four off to the side only.
mak_v8 likes this.

post #23 of 48 Old 09-09-2021, 05:38 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Look at my profile pic and see the single L ground electrode. That blocks the spark to some degree as the spark won’t see the fuel behind the electrode. Now imagine another like it. I’ve seen worse even.
mak_v8 and cDee63 like this.

post #24 of 48 Old 09-10-2021, 10:22 AM
JoMc67
1999 WJ 

Garage
I remember back in mid-90’s I had a 95’ Dodge Avenger and changed Spark Plugs out to a performance brand called Split-Fire (4x Prong)...Can’t remember if it did any better then stock, but probably Snake-ish Oil.
post #25 of 48 Old 09-10-2021, 03:12 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
[QUOTE=leadsled jeep;41352285]Look at my profile pic and see the single L ground electrode. That blocks the spark to some degree as the spark wonít see the fuel behind the electrode. Now imagine another like it. Iíve seen worse even.[/QUOTE

Yep, and why many index them to point the open end toward the intake valve. On my super tall dome piston Harley I have 2 plugs per cylinder and they both point open end toward the intake/top of piston area.
leadsled jeep likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #26 of 48 Old 09-10-2021, 09:21 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak_v8 View Post
Interesting....
I had an old Alfa Romeo Alfetta, they used Golden Lodge 2HL spark plugs, they had 4 ground electrodes
All old Alfa Romeo in that age used that spark plugs.
But the engine behaviour was deeply different if using single ground spark plugs...

Those must have been fun to "gap".

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #27 of 48 Old 09-10-2021, 10:58 PM
rjh41388
2004 WJ 

All this debate can be settled by me. Anyone who is into cars should know to only use the plugs specified by the manufacturer. The engineers spent lots of time choosing the right plug that works with the engine and ignition system. Don’t let the dimwit at autozone talk you into more expensive plugs that he claims are better but in reality worse. Ive heard at Chrysler training that the wrong plugs on a hemi put out a different radio frequency causing issues with the tire pressure monitor and other electrical systems. Imagine trying to diagnose that
leadsled jeep likes this.
post #28 of 48 Old 09-11-2021, 07:22 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh41388 View Post
All this debate can be settled by me. Anyone who is into cars should know to only use the plugs specified by the manufacturer. The engineers spent lots of time choosing the right plug that works with the engine and ignition system. Don’t let the dimwit at autozone talk you into more expensive plugs that he claims are better but in reality worse. Ive heard at Chrysler training that the wrong plugs on a hemi put out a different radio frequency causing issues with the tire pressure monitor and other electrical systems. Imagine trying to diagnose that

So those 50 year old AC plugs are still the best plug to use in a 50 year old car? No progress has been made in the last 50 years? All my old GM V8's love platinum plugs and I don't have to replace them every year. I could never get 2 years out of the old AC's.

I still can't wait for that nice power increase when I put those copper plugs in my WJ. Hopefully this month.
post #29 of 48 Old 09-11-2021, 11:15 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ60 View Post
Those must have been fun to "gap".
@WJ60 ,
LOL
In theory that plugs were supposed to last 4 times the single ground ones, and their four gaps were not adjustable.

Today these plugs are no more produced and there is a market born around new and used plugs...; you can see crazy prices around the web.
Alfa Romeo entusiasts have always problems...
leadsled jeep and WJ60 like this.

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #30 of 48 Old 10-14-2021, 04:48 PM
RadarRider
2000 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for the fix. Had the same problem, pulse a slight miss due to too much anti-seize on a few plugs. Cleaned up the holes and put stock plugs in. Runs great now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in