Door skin repair - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Spenbass
2001 WJ 

I suppose this could have been posted in any of the Jeep forums, but I have a WJ so here goes:
Some asshat backed a steakbed truck into my driver’s side door. No collision insurance, so I’m not going to spend significant money on a repaint. Do you think if I pull out the dent that hole could be patched with bondo? Easy to match paint? Bottom line, I don’t care if it’s not a pristine match. I just don’t want it to be looking like a total hatchet job. How hard is this to do for a complete novice? I have no painting experience. Waste of time? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
8DC7123B-3F8B-4AF1-ACDC-5D9566F552C3_1600310589395.jpg  

2001 WJ Limited- 4.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 09:14 PM
anotherheep

Not sure how accessible it is, but I would remove the inside door panel and see if you could beat it out from the inside. Keep a decent size rubber mallet face on the outside damage as you tap out on the dent.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 09:42 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
You can do it. Here's a video to help with the painting. Retrieve your paint code and get a couple of cans of spray paint from a Mopar parts place online.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
The worst part of that repair, is the "crease" created in the metal by the corner of the stake bed. You will be able to get some of the dent back out with the above methods, but not all. However, it should come out significantly enough to keep the bondo to a minimum. Sand it down to bare metal all around the repair area, then bondo it with several thin coats. Be careful not to leave any bondo "bugers" or thick edges that create more work to sand down. Once your happy with the smoothness of the dent, scuff up the rest of the door to get it ready to paint, and repaint the whole door to make it match well. Get the paint code off the door jamb, and head to the dealer to get paint. They have most colors already in little spray cans, that make it easy to spray it on. Make sure you apply the paint in several thin coats with fine sanding in between. Then hit it with some clear to give it the sheen. I repaired a hole the size of two fists in front of my drivers rear wheel, and it turned out great doing it this way...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in