Domes, wipers and more... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-10-2021, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
andrewsmith987

Domes, wipers and more...

Hello, brand new member here. I recently came into possession of an 02 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Most things seem to be working well, except almost everything on fuse 8 in the cabin. I have glove box light, VIC, and I believe my security module is working. I do not have rear wiper motor, rear liftgate glass, or any interior lights except the dash and console. I have replaced the bulbs in all positions and checked the fuse only to find my multi meter read it as okay and visually good.

My main source of info has been from (fuse-box.info), and according to their info regarding fuses, #8 seems to be my problem. The only issue with that is some of the items from #8 are working. All the rest of the fuses are good, but as far as electronics go, I am at the end of my experience. I do not know where to search next.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-11-2021, 12:07 AM
Delta0

The interior lights are controlled by a switch.
I think the switch is on a column stalk.
I guess the left hand stalk.

I leave mine switched off as it's not unknown for dimming lights to not turn off completely.
Or, put the other way, to stay on and flatten the battery.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-11-2021, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
andrewsmith987

I played with that switch a lot. I can see it working on the dash and center console lights, did not pay attention to the vic. Nothing seems to make the dome lights work, even manual control. I am also not sure if the issue causing the dome problem is also causing the rear wiper and liftglass issue. My license plate light works.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith987 View Post
I played with that switch a lot. I can see it working on the dash and center console lights, did not pay attention to the vic. Nothing seems to make the dome lights work, even manual control. I am also not sure if the issue causing the dome problem is also causing the rear wiper and liftglass issue. My license plate light works.
Have you checked the earth / ground to any of your not working circuits Andrew?

Check Uni's massive ace pack here: -

post #5 of 14 Old 10-11-2021, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
andrewsmith987

I'll check that in the morning, but would the license plat light not share the same ground as the rear wiper motor and liftglass? Neither of those grounds are going to be fun to get to...
post #6 of 14 Old 10-12-2021, 12:42 AM
Delta0

The switch on my column appears to be 2 switches in one.

An on / off switch for my interior lights.

An on / off / dimmer switch for my instruments.

I guess the interior lights part of the switch could fail while the instrument light lart could soldier on.

Check the link to Uniblurb's defining work on grounds.

Last edited by Delta0; 10-12-2021 at 01:59 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2021, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
andrewsmith987

Some more testing and I was able to determine I have power at the fuse box, but not in the wires for domes (tested the positive dome cable in the map lights). Grounds are okay and column switch is working. My VIC and license plate light have power. The maps light's power has continuity with my cigarettes' power, but I can only see 17mV potential.

I feel if this was shorting out then fuse 8 would blow, but it should not have continuity and not proper voltage.

My only good take away from this has been that it is not a ground or switch issue.

Is there a common point after the fuse box but before the dome lights where the wiring my be damaged?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 02:43 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Does your rear wiper actually work? Also dirt can get into the rear lift glass button ive cleaned mine out and there was corrosion in it it works but I do notice it's finicky. That is all I can offer sorry.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 03:29 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Wk

see attachment

C308 IS CONNECTOR AT TAILGATE.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 02WJ FUSE 8 JB.pdf (155.5 KB, 3 views)

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
andrewsmith987

I have not tested the wiper motor yet, the liftglass button works and there is no excessive dirt buildup or corrosion. Wires for the liftglass are red but seem to have no power just like the domes.

I am not sure where the courtesy lamps all are, but if there are supposed to be some in the door handles, then those aren't working either. Seems the only interior lights that work are the dash, center console, VIC and glovebox. All the power locks work including the liftgate, which is odd as my interpretation of the 02WJ Fuse 8 JB.pdf is that the lock and liftglass use the same power wire.
Attached Thumbnails
2021_10_19_13_00_09_Settings.jpg  
post #11 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 12:02 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

do you have a OEM manual?

without that a tough trouble shoot.
Time permitting I will look at diagrams and think of a plan I would use.
TIPs the rear wiper will not wipe if a problem with lift gate closure.
CHECK FOR 12V AT C301, C309 YOU MAY not have all the devices listed,
I will check -if the BCM is involved in circuit - maybe resetting BCM will permit missing lighting, a jeep quirk. Just remove count to ten and reinstall IOD fuse.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
There is a solid hot-pink wire that runs in the harness along the driver side floorboard of the WJ. It carries power to the domes and rear wiper. It also is known to make contact and rot through at some point near the driver's seat.

I had to chase this same fix in my 2000 WJ that you are chasing now. I think you can search for "pink wire fix" and possibly get lucky with the search function for threads with pics. My hot pink wire was corroded and almost broke in a spot just behind the driver seat. I cut it, cut the green corroded part of the wire out, spliced the two ends back together, and INSTANTLY had dome lights and a full working rear wiper.

I hope this helps you, buddy!

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
post #13 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 06:20 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Here's some decent reading....https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...55/index2.html

post #14 of 14 Old 10-19-2021, 06:22 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
And here's my thread on the subject: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...again-4044081/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in