Does WJ burns oil? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Tek99

1999 WJ 

Does WJ burns oil?

Hi, 2 things happened:

1- For the past 2 years I've been changing oil every 7K km and I usually dumped around 5l of old oil including filter change. I talked about this with my mechanic and he said that its good enough to change it every 12K km. And so I did. To my surprise this time I only dumped 2,5l. Likely nothing happened to the engine.

2- I replaced reducer in another place that I usually go to. They did very poor job causing me to get mad and I did. I told them what I think of them etc. Anyway i decided to take it to court.

What I am concern about is this normal, such a large oil loss or perhaps in another place they dumped some oil to cause damage to my engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 AM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

first thing ignore your mechanic and go back to 6-7k Km oil changes, the V8 really benefits from having good clean oil in it all the time.
as to the loss of oil, all engines use oil, the handbook says to check the oil every time you refuel, and top up as required.
your second point doesn't make sense, so don't understand what your trying to tell us.
Mattyjm likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Tek99

1999 WJ 

Second point - because that mechanic did a poor job I got really angry and I got into worlds fight with him. I was thinking perhaps he wanted to get even with me and dumped some oil from my engine in order to damage it.

Also i forgot to mention one more thing. Every month I drive to Germany and I usually drive 140km/h max. But last time when i did 12K km before oil change I was in a hurry and I was driving 160km/h. I was wondering if higher speed has more effect on loosing oil?

Sorry for my English
wjkeith likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

Hey your English is a lot better than my polish!
you should check the breather pipes as they can get blocked very easily and will cause more crank case pressure, which will force the oil past the piston rings more than it should.
the ones that get blocked are the 2 right at the back of the cylinder heads and go to the right side of the air box looking from the front of the car.
also check the cam covers at rear bottom corners for any leaks, If the gaskets have never been changed they will be hard and brittle by now.
I don't think you would have damaged the motor with low oil, as long as the end of the pick up tube was in the oil it would be fine. If it had lost oil pressure it would started chiming at you and the "check gauges" warning lamp would have come on.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 12:51 PM
schwim

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
you should check the breather pipes as they can get blocked very easily and will cause more crank case pressure, which will force the oil past the piston rings more than it should.
the ones that get blocked are the 2 right at the back of the cylinder heads and go to the right side of the air box looking from the front of the car.

My 4.7 burns a lot of oil and this is the first I've heard of this! I know better than to hope this gets rid of all of the disappearing act that the oil is doing but I really do hope that it's the cause of some of the issue.

BOUGHT. Not Built.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 01:37 PM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

there are 2 breather systems on the 4.7,
the 2 breathers from the back of the cylinder heads are connected in front of the throttle body so just allow a filtered metered amount of air in to the cam covers at the back of the engine. that filtered air plus any blow by gases is then drawn into the engine via the check valve on the filler neck.
you should be able to hear the valve rattle when you take it off and shake it.
I've just done the cam cover gaskets and found the breathers full of mayo, the heads themselves where nice and clean, so took them apart and cleaned them out with brake clean and compressed air.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Fzz
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlJH View Post
there are 2 breather systems on the 4.7,
the 2 breathers from the back of the cylinder heads are connected in front of the throttle body so just allow a filtered metered amount of air in to the cam covers at the back of the engine. that filtered air plus any blow by gases is then drawn into the engine via the check valve on the filler neck.
you should be able to hear the valve rattle when you take it off and shake it.
I've just done the cam cover gaskets and found the breathers full of mayo, the heads themselves where nice and clean, so took them apart and cleaned them out with brake clean and compressed air.
+1
On my first 4.7 WJ the breather valve on the filler neck was kaput - but the pressure build up it was causing forced oil out of the main seals. I dreaded doing those seals, but the leaks went when I fitted a new breather valve, which was nice. In winter I made sure to clean it out regularly too as CarlJH says they are prone to condensation/mayo at that point.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM
schwim

2001 WJ 

Could you guys give me a hint on where these two pipes are on the intake? I looked at the breather box where the filter resides and I didn't see any pipes attaching to it. I looked behind the intake box on top of the engine and I see 1 pipe entering on the side(that was disconnected on my engine) and a few attaching around the back towards the firewall. Are any of these what you're talking about?

BOUGHT. Not Built.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-15-2019, 01:34 PM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

the first picture is the breather pipe, follow it to the back and you should find something like the picture.
second pic are the evap pipes for the charcoal canister/fuel tank vapor recovery
third picture are brake booster, cruise control and evap pipe vacuum supply.
Attached Images

post #10 of 18 Old 07-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Fzz
2001 WJ 

[QUOTE=schwim;40679413]Could you guys give me a hint on where these two pipes are on the intake? I looked at the breather box where the filter resides and I didn't see any pipes attaching to it. I looked behind the intake box on top of the engine and I see 1 pipe entering on the side(that was disconnected on my engine) and a few attaching around the back towards the firewall. Are any of these what you're talking about?

If that pipe was disconnected when you found it, there probably should have been a bit more oil mist on the surrounding components, as the vapours would've been pouring out into the engine bay rather than going into the intake - might indicate a blockage or dodgy pcv upstream?
post #11 of 18 Old 07-15-2019, 04:59 PM
schwim

2001 WJ 

Thanks for the replies, guys. Am I right that I just need to pull that T-shaped hose system off, ensure it's free of blockages and then find the PCV valve and make sure it rattles? Or have I misunderstood the instruction?

BOUGHT. Not Built.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Fzz
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. Am I right that I just need to pull that T-shaped hose system off, ensure it's free of blockages and then find the PCV valve and make sure it rattles? Or have I misunderstood the instruction?
The T-shaped hose system connects both valve covers with the intake upstream of the throttle body etc (where your hose was disconnected).

From memory I think the PCV connects to the rear of the inlet manifold - If that's right the valve covers and PCV are on different 'circuits' so different things to check.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-22-2019, 11:27 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Responding to the original question ... I have a 4.7L with ~195,000 miles (~314,000 km) which uses probably 1 liter of oil every month. I changed valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and rear main seal hoping to stop the oil loss. It still uses oil, but not as much as it used too so the new gaskets helped. Check your oil dipstick regularly from now on and add oil as needed.

As for the rest of this thread ... Oh my god if my oil loss can be solved by cleaning a couple breather tubes, I am going to kiss all of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #14 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Tek99

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Responding to the original question ... I have a 4.7L with ~195,000 miles (~314,000 km) which uses probably 1 liter of oil every month. I changed valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and rear main seal hoping to stop the oil loss. It still uses oil, but not as much as it used too so the new gaskets helped. Check your oil dipstick regularly from now on and add oil as needed.

As for the rest of this thread ... Oh my god if my oil loss can be solved by cleaning a couple breather tubes, I am going to kiss all of you.

Interesting, mine has 320K km on it. For the past 2 years I have been changing oil every 7K km and I usually dumped around 5l of old oil so i assumed that was OK. But 2,5l liter of oil loss after 12K km that seems a little bit too much. Doesn't it?
post #15 of 18 Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

how to get pcv valve out? without breaking...

i pulled the hose off air box,no vacume on box or hose?

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in