Does anyone have instructions for Superchips advanced Transmission Tune? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tebeve
  • 1 Post By CJREX
  • 1 Post By Frambo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-02-2021, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Does anyone have instructions for Superchips advanced Transmission Tune?

I've been running my Jeep on the factory tune for a while and it somehow felt 'punchier' than when I was using the SC performance 91 tune. I went back to the 91 perf. tune after about a month and noticed an increase in power but I really dislike the shift schedules.

I'd like to get the factory transmission shift points but with the spark advance etc. of the 91 tune. I spoke to SC and they said that they are happy to let me have the ATT software to try and set that up but they've 'lost the instructions' for it and if I get it wrong there's a risk of bricking the transmission.

Does anyone have these fabled instructions? How hard is it? Can anyone guide me through what I'm trying to do?

In the meantime, they suggested that I try the Tow tune (which does seem more suited to my driving style) and maybe a line pressure booster as well.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-02-2021, 06:54 AM
JoMc67
1999 WJ 

Garage
I also have StupidChips set at @87 Octane, but there is nothing for Tranny (unless you get Hypertech)...So, if your able to get instructions for it to work for Tranny, then that would be great.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-02-2021, 07:53 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same tuner, and I never heard about any adjustment to the tranny. Do you have any idea what kind of adjustments that can be made? I like the tow tune the best, since it holds the gears longer between shifts. Man if you ever find this unicorn instructions that would be interesting.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-02-2021, 11:17 AM
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
I have the same tuner, and I never heard about any adjustment to the tranny. Do you have any idea what kind of adjustments that can be made? I like the tow tune the best, since it holds the gears longer between shifts. Man if you ever find this unicorn instructions that would be interesting.
Same, and same... I run the tow tune as well for those shift points.

Subscribed for instructions!
jserna likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-02-2021, 06:54 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

I'm currently running the mid-grade tune and have never tried the tow tune.

Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
Powerful Wanderer (wife named it after driving it)
265/70/17 MT, 2" BDS lift
post #6 of 10 Old 03-04-2021, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Okay so I've done some more looking into this and it seems that the Advanced Transmission Tune is more of a WK thing as per this thread (see post 8 onwards) and this but nonetheless SC said it was available. Perhaps they didn't remember that it's not available for 2004 WJs.

It allows you to tune the shift points (according to mph and throttle position). My plan was to load up a factory set of shift points along with the 91 tune but no joy I guess.

I'm definitely finding the tow tune to be best for daily driving so far but as far as I know the tow tune is the 87 performance tune but with lower shift points. I want the 91 performance tune with the lower shift points!

Maybe this is something we can ask SC for?

The other option, I guess, is to use the SC along with a line booster like this one but although that will firm up the shifts, it won't actually change the shift points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMc67 View Post
I also have StupidChips set at @87 Octane, but there is nothing for Tranny (unless you get Hypertech)...So, if your able to get instructions for it to work for Tranny, then that would be great.
What's hypertech? Does it work with our WJs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...
Did you give it a go?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-04-2021, 01:15 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frambo View Post
Did you give it a go?
Nope.

I got ready to load it and saw that it required Premium fuel so I backed out of it.

Premium fuel is a 60 cent per gallon surcharge in my area and with my driving style (lots of short trips, hardly any highway) this thing is a thirsty fish anyway.

I anticipate gas prices going way up very soon.
Bigrigr likes this.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
post #8 of 10 Old 03-04-2021, 02:24 PM
tebeve

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Nope.

I got ready to load it and saw that it required Premium fuel so I backed out of it.
Just FYI, I've been running the Tow tune for well over a year now, and have tried all 3 grades of fuel in my area, and I gotta say - 87, 89, or 91 the Jeep gets the same craptastic MPG. Try as I might, I just can't seem to tell a big enough difference between them to justify running the premium grade.

All that's to say - the tow tune works just fine for me on 87 octane.

Of course, literally and figuratively here, YMMV.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-04-2021, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Nope.

Premium fuel is a 60 cent per gallon surcharge in my area and with my driving style (lots of short trips, hardly any highway) this thing is a thirsty fish anyway.

I anticipate gas prices going way up very soon.
Wow that's a lot!

I'm not sure what the rules are about linking to other forums but there's an old interesting thread on a dodge forum here that says that:

1. TOW is exactly the same as performance 87 but tow has a warning to run premium fuel
2. It has the same shift points as perf 87
3. Tow has the same shift points as perf 91

This can't all be true. I have never run perf 87 but the shift points are definitely different to perf 91. What do others think?
CJREX likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-04-2021, 03:29 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

The performance 87 is what I'm running and it works fine.

I ran the Premium performance tune for a while and it did indeed give a very nice power surge at around 3500 rpm that continued though the rev range.

That surge is missing in the 87 tune, but I don't romp it enough to warrant running premium all the time.

Based on that linked thread, the Tow tune and 87 Performance tune are the same thing with the warning for 91 octane being there to prevent pinging under the load of towing a trailer.

Besides, it's plenty snappy with the 87 tune.

Now I do run a Premium tune in my Ranger but it's whole 'nother animal and gets 18mpg doing the same drives that the WJ gets 13, and it also has a LOT more power.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in