DIY Key Fob Programming for 99-04 Jeep GC WJs - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 12-21-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Stroker347
2004 WJ 

DIY Key Fob Programming for 99-04 Jeep GC WJs

The “Daimler Chrysler North American Remote Keyless Entry Programming Procedure”, RKE 81-170-00011, included in TSB 08-007-02, issued March 25, 2002, describes four key fob programming methods A thru D. Only Methods A thru C are applicable to Jeep vehicles and only from 1999 to 2002. Methods A & B are Customer Programing Methods that can be found elsewhere on other websites. Method C is a Dealer Programming Method that requires the use of a DRB III scanning tool. Unfortunately, the procedure identifies that Jeep Grand Cherokee body code WJ vehicles require method C. However, as described below, the dealer method can be accomplished using an ELM327 based OBD2 interface and an RS232 terminal software program.

The following method, which does not require a currently programmed key fob, was successfully used on a 2004 GC WJ and will probably work for all 1999 to 2004 GC WJs. The RKE is part of the Passenger Door Module (PDM) and has four memory slots to allow programming of up to four different key fobs. Commands, injected into the vehicle’s PCI bus thru the OBD2 port, will put the RKE into programming mode and assign the memory slot to be programed for each key fob. The two commands, in HEX format, that accomplish this are:

The ignition key must be on but the engine can be off (KOEO) to inject these commands.

Step 1)
24 A1 31 00 00 00 (puts the RKE into programming mode)
A successful vehicle response to this command is:
26 A1 71 00 00 00

Step 2)
24 A1 31 XX 00 00 (specifies the memory slot where XX is 01, 02, 03 or 04)
A successful vehicle response to this command is:
26 A1 71 XX 00 00

Step 3)
These two commands are followed by pressing and holding the Lock or Unlock button on the key fob to be programmed until the door lock relays are heard to activate (this should occur within seconds of pressing the button). This completes the programming for that key fob.

Steps 1 thru 3 can be repeated for each key fob to be programmed. When all programming is complete turn the ignition off to ensure that the programming mode is terminated.

The above can be accomplished with an ELM327 based OBD2 interface and a RS232 terminal program. The ELM assumes the first three command bytes are header bytes and automatically prepends them to user input of the remaining bytes. An ELM ‘AT’ command allows setting the header bytes. The following ELM327 commands, sent via an RS232 terminal program, will set up the ELM and send the above commands:

AT L1 (line feeds on)
AT H1 (headers on)
AT E1 (echo on)
AT SP2 (sets communication protocol to VPW)
AT RA A1 (sets receive address to A1 for viewing vehicle responses from the PDM)
AT SH 24 A1 31 (sets the header bytes)

Step1 from above)
00 00 00 (sends the command to put the RKE into programming mode)

Step 2 from above)
XX 00 00 (sends the command to specify which memory slot is to be programmed, where the byte XX is 01, 02, 03 or 04)

Step 3 from above)
Press and hold either the Lock or Unlock button on the key fob to be programmed until the lock relays are heard to actuate.

Repeat Step 1 thru 3 for each key fob to be programmed and increment XX accordingly.

If a currently programmed key fob exists, it is probably assigned to memory slot 1 and doesn’t need to be reprogrammed. Additional key fobs can start with slot 2 or higher. Alternatively, the existing key fob can be reprogrammed as memory slot 1 or any other slot not used for another key fob. However, any slot can be overwritten with this procedure and the slot numbers need not be sequential.

Conclude the programming by turning the ignition off.

As with any interfacing with the vehicle’s OBD2 port, proceed with caution and at your own risk. However, the above procedure did not result in any harm to the target vehicle or the spare PDMs that were used to develop and test this procedure.

FunWithPaul and OldWJs like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 09-29-2020, 12:44 PM
oh2WJ
2002 WJ 

Thank you so much for posting this info!! I had to get a used PDM and was able to program my FOB using this method. One thing to note, it didn't work for me the first time using the instructions exactly. I was looking at buying a dorman RKE programmer for about $70 but after reading another post someone said if you have the memory 1 and 2 buttons on driver side door, to press the 1 or 2 first before pressing the lock or unlock button on the remote. The instructions also mentioned after turning ign off, wait 2 min before pressing any FOB buttons. Trying it this way worked for me! I have 2 other FOBs to try it with now.

I also lost my second key, and have been looking into ways to get around paying a dealer or locksmith to program a new sentry key. If someone has figured out how to access the PDM, and put it into programming mode via ELM327 and terminal program perhaps the SKIM can be accessed the same way and sentry keys could be programmed? After reading into ELM commands and module PID's, it seems you would have to know SKIM module PID and also the hex commands to put it into programming mode. This stuff is def out of my league, but maybe someone out there has/ can figure out this info.
post #3 of 60 Old 09-29-2020, 12:59 PM
OldWJs
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2WJ View Post
Thank you so much for posting this info!! I had to get a used PDM and was able to program my FOB using this method. One thing to note, it didn't work for me the first time using the instructions exactly. I was looking at buying a dorman RKE programmer for about $70 but after reading another post someone said if you have the memory 1 and 2 buttons on driver side door, to press the 1 or 2 first before pressing the lock or unlock button on the remote. The instructions also mentioned after turning ign off, wait 2 min before pressing any FOB buttons. Trying it this way worked for me! I have 2 other FOBs to try it with now.

I also lost my second key, and have been looking into ways to get around paying a dealer or locksmith to program a new sentry key. If someone has figured out how to access the PDM, and put it into programming mode via ELM327 and terminal program perhaps the SKIM can be accessed the same way and sentry keys could be programmed? After reading into ELM commands and module PID's, it seems you would have to know SKIM module PID and also the hex commands to put it into programming mode. This stuff is def out of my league, but maybe someone out there has/ can figure out this info.
The "approved" way that I know, is that with the PIN from the dealer for your VIN, and the right scan tool - I know a DRB-III will work but don't want to speculate about some other options, you can program up to four keys into your SKIM module. Some dealer parts/service departments will be cool enough to give you your PIN, I showed my title at the time. Now, actually doing at the level of an ELM chip, not sure I can help there.

post #4 of 60 Old 09-29-2020, 02:56 PM
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

This didn't work for me, I rented a programmer from EisBlade on here, and that did the trick.
FunWithPaul likes this.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 175,000 miles
post #5 of 60 Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 AM
Falkon

2004 WJ 

There's another thread going on this subject. Cheapest is to go to Walmart for a clone.
post #6 of 60 Old 09-30-2020, 07:03 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I know of at least one aliexpress/ebay programmer that works just fine on WJs.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #7 of 60 Old 09-30-2020, 02:33 PM
oh2WJ
2002 WJ 

can you provide a link to the other thread on this subject? also what is meant by going to walmart for a clone, can you specify?

As for ebay/ali programmer, I have been looking at some different options there. any suggestions? I thought about getting micropod 2 clone, but seems like a pain to get it working if it ever does. And even if it works, limited to just Chrysler products. I considered buying a dedicated key programmer, but for just a little more I have been seriously debating getting a Xtuner E3 or Vpecker EasyDiag. They claim to be able to do lots of OE level functions including key program, but still haven't found a definitive answer if they will work on a WJ to program keys. Anyone out there have experience with these? If I must pay around $100 for lost keys, then I might as well have a tool afterwards instead of paying the same for someone to use theirs. I would like to collaborate with someone on getting the ELM to program keys because it just really blew my mind that I was able to program my key fobs with a $15 usb ELM cable when everyone I called said min $75 to program anything.
post #8 of 60 Old 09-30-2020, 08:10 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

The SBB key programmer seems to work well. You will need your PIN for your Jeep, however, and you'll have to get it from a dealer by supplying them with your VIN.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #9 of 60 Old 11-14-2020, 02:39 PM
#1EasyXjer

2004 WJ 

Can you please elaborate on the elm thing and usb cable. I am having a beach of a time programming my 04 JGC key fobs.
Thanks Dan
post #10 of 60 Old 11-17-2020, 10:29 AM
#1EasyXjer

2004 WJ 

More info I have found says Jeep did not include in the 04 WJ programming in their computer for a layman to reprogram remote fobs. Any one have a work around?
post #11 of 60 Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 PM
FunWithPaul

2004 WJ 

Programming the KEYS, and programming the FOB are two different subjects (and procedures)

They are both covered here (on JeepForum) I have programmed KEYS, but not FOB's
post #12 of 60 Old 11-24-2020, 09:32 AM
#1EasyXjer

2004 WJ 

I bought the Doorman 13778 and programmed 2 replacement fact fob no problem.
post #13 of 60 Old 01-30-2021, 02:29 PM
Shark Racer

I attempted to do this, but am not getting the correct return codes from the PDM. (though I may have in earlier attempts)

in response to “26 A1 31 00 00 00” I am getting “26 A1 71 00 00 E0 0B”.

I assume this is an error code, but I’m not sure how to proceed from here. Is there a known list of error codes somewhere?

I have one good key, one flaky door module and two new aftermarket keys. They all (supposedly) have the same FCC ID, so I’m not sure if it’s the aftermarket keys flaking out or if my 02 WJ is not compatible with this programming.
post #14 of 60 Old 01-30-2021, 02:33 PM
Shark Racer

Looks like I can’t edit my posts (Jeep Forum thing or new user thing?) - anyway. I want to say that I’m sending “24 A1 31 00 00 00”, not “26 A1 31 00 00 00” as mentioned in post 13. I’m used to other OBD commands where the mode sent in the request is replicated in the response.
post #15 of 60 Old 01-31-2021, 09:49 AM
oh2WJ
2002 WJ 

I forget to mention, when i was doing this I didn't get the exact return message shown in directions. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but just kept going. I also got E0 0B in my return string. In my case it didn't work until I pressed one of the memory buttons on the door before pressing lock/unlock on fob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in