Dirty trans filter? slips on cornering only - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
birmingplumb
2001 WJ 

Dirty trans filter? slips on cornering only

01 grand limited 250k- rebuilt motor- orig trans. never changed trans filter. only when cornering it slips into neutral and after leveling out re-engages. fluid full. I think filter? Or?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 09:40 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Sounds like low fluid to me. You checking level at operating temp and trans in N? My 04 manual has incorrect info says to check in P which is incorrect. With that said if fluid and filter have not been changed and you plan to keep it not a bad idea to go ahead. Service interval is 30k so you're a little over due lol.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
birmingplumb
2001 WJ 

I will double check fluid level in n. I remember a caravan trans issue slipping . searched internet 500 threads. finally found right guy.( weeks later) said drop pan change filter go to synthetic fluid. stock fluid breaks down at 350 degrees or some low temp but amsol synthetic stays thick till 500 degrees. got auto zone synthetic temp rated at 450 i think all was good till electrical took dump got rid of. But I will change, I also hesitated to change fluid on 250k trans due to many many of the 500 threads say doing so increases the psi and blows the seals. So I gonna add a quart to start.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2019, 12:41 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
The 42RE tends to be a little finicky if right oil and right amount aren't in it. Also known from factory to have a some solenoid issues that can be upgraded for $100 while you have the pan off. Basically a service and upgrade kit. I did this to mine wasn't really slipping but was shuttering and shifting hard. After the service it's perfect super smooth and when it's supposed to.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-21-2019, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
birmingplumb
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Sounds like low fluid to me. You checking level at operating temp and trans in N? My 04 manual has incorrect info says to check in P which is incorrect. With that said if fluid and filter have not been changed and you plan to keep it not a bad idea to go ahead. Service interval is 30k so you're a little over due lol.
Dead nuts!!! I warmed it up, pulled over, put in neutral- no fluid on stick! Put 1 qt in. Fixed!!!!!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Ok good deal. Kind of crazy these things lose like 7 quarts with a pan drop and it takes just one short to make it act up like that. People talk crap about the 42RE but for the 4.0 it's been fine in my experience shifts really nice and from all accounts will last a long time. Just need take care of it and treat it like a little fragile baby bird lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in