LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
bezzat
2004 WJ 

Garage
Dana Axle Tube Seal - its recommended ?

Hello
If I install this product
I need to leave or remove the original seal ?

Which product is recommended ?

Thanks

Attached Images

2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2.7L CRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

I'm not aware of any that work with the stock CV axles. Most require swapping to U-joint axles. That said, I really wish there was a set that would work with the CV axles. I get tons of sand and dirt in my tubes.

This last weekend I replaced my axles, unit bearings, and ball joints. Finished up the driver's side, was almost done with the passenger's side, and thought it would be a great idea to vacuum out the sand in the axle tube. YUGE mistake. When I put the vacuum hose into the axle tube and turned it on, the only place air could enter the axle tube was the passenger axle tube and air went into the passenger tube and some went straight into the pumpkin which dragged sand directly into the pumpkin. Ended up pulling the driver's side axle back out, removing the differential carrier, and spent hours cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. Got everything back together and everything seems fine but wouldn't want to repeat that. Axle tube seals would prevent the sand from getting into the tubes but I don't want to convert to U-joint axles.

EDIT: To clarify, the axle seals of the D30 are on the inside ends of the axle tubes next to the differential carrier bearings. There are no seals on the outside end of the tubes so if you can add the seals above, they have no effect on the standard seals.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
bezzat
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
Axle tube seals would prevent the sand from getting into the tubes but I don't want to convert to U-joint axles.
Excellent

must U-joint? You Sure

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2019, 02:53 PM
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Even with those, crud can still get in there, but it will not be able to get back out. Best to just leave open, that way the water/moisture can get out. I had those on my Tj for a short while, and there was all kinds of nasty crap trapped in there when I took them out. I have aftermarket shafts in there now with nothing on them and all is well. Those tube seals quickly made their way into my trash can.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
bezzat
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
Even with those, crud can still get in there, but it will not be able to get back out. Best to just leave open, that way the water/moisture can get out. I had those on my Tj for a short while, and there was all kinds of nasty crap trapped in there when I took them out. I have aftermarket shafts in there now with nothing on them and all is well. Those tube seals quickly made their way into my trash can.
Maybe you're right
But the water can easily get into the oil area and mix together
That's what happened to my friend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in