Dana 35 behind 4.7 HO - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-22-2021, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Dana 35 behind 4.7 HO

Hey All'
I have a couple 2004 WJ's one is a wasted Larado with a 4.0, the other is a very nice Limited with 4.7 HO. The Larado 4.0 has awesome off road axles with lockers front and rear with Selec-Trac T case. The Limited I think has Variloc axles with the Dana 44 rear and Quadra drive. I want to take the T-case and both locked axles from the Larado and put them in the Limited. My question is will the D35 rear hold up to the 4.7 HO. I'm not towing but do ALOT of off road that requires reliable 4 wheel drive. I just do not trust the Veriloc axles. No rock crawling but tons of very lose sand, gravel and steep grades with loose dirt, out in middle of nowhere Arizona Desert.
The Larado 4.0 has NEVER EVER been stuck NEVER!!! I have Powertrax No Slips front and rear and really want those in the Limited, but Im not sure the D35 has the balls for the 4.7 HO. The 4.7 is 100% stock and has tons of power.
The 4.0 was wrecked and trashed hence the reason for the swap. The biggest reason for the swap is the damn Variloc are completely unserviceable. It is 10000% easier to replace a snapped rear axle in a D35 than it it to try to find a decent Variloc unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-22-2021, 01:31 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I wouldn't put a 35 under a go cart. Find a 44 that didn't come with vari lok, they did make them. Usually the same ones with the 242HD case as well. Then put an Aussie locker in it and call it good. A failing or completely failed vari lok will not strand you, just give one wheel peel. Not sure how that equates with having to replace a broken axle.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #3 of 23 Old 09-22-2021, 02:09 PM
CraigMBAx

Garage
Quote:
I just do not trust the Veriloc axles.
Why? They are perfect for:

Quote:
No rock crawling but tons of very lose sand, gravel and steep grades with loose dirt
Put fresh HyTran in the cases and don't sweat it. They are fine unless you start climbing rocks with tires bigger than, say, 33"

It's kinda funny, I bought my WJ because it had varilocks. They work great if you are just driving and not crawling.

1999 WJ Limted - Ex Soccer Mom ride turned Rule 25 Compliant Bike Hauler

post #4 of 23 Old 09-22-2021, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

When I say no rock climbing I mean I never have a wheel off the ground. I do go up real steep wash sides, super deep ruts, off camber wash outs, and again VERY soft sand and gravel washbeds. I do have a 2" lift and running 245/75/16 Pathfinder AT's. Ive watched open diff's and LS Diff's fail miserably on grades I took with ease with my Larado. Some of the trails I normally run if a tire starts spinning you are DONE even if the other eventually grabs. Thats why fully locked is critical.
With the Verilocks does one tire HAVE to spin before the other locks in???
post #5 of 23 Old 09-22-2021, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
A failing or completely failed vari lok will not strand you, just give one wheel peel. Not sure how that equates with having to replace a broken axle.
I hate to say it but in some of the areas I run, a one wheel peel is 100% stranded. With a locker and 1 busted axle you still get 100% power to the axle that is still good. A while back being total Idiots we snapped an axle on a locked D35 and made it somewhere near 65 miles home most in 2 wheel drive on just the single rear axle.

Are there any upgrades or adjustments to get the Verilock to hook up faster or harder or is it 100% what you see is what you get?
post #6 of 23 Old 09-22-2021, 07:57 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I have a E-locker in a dana 44 in the front and a 44a with a vari-lock in the rear and its great at rock crawling and in the sand ( 33's with 4:10). The 35 will hold up to a lot of abuse. If you are heavy on the skinny pedal not so much.

If you know how to drive, both options will work fine!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-23-2021, 05:34 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

I would just run the VariLoks for a bit since they are already installed.

You may be very surprised at just how capable they are when functioning properly. The Key words there being Functioning Properly. Change the fluids and use the friction modifier.

What size tires are you running?

The VariLok apparently doesn't like anything bigger than a 33" or so.

I have 32" tires on my Overland and my VariLoks are quite impressive, to the point of also impressing people who are wheeling with me.

Granted that this is on Forestry Service roads and mud, but they work great on this type of terrain. It just walks through off-kilter ruts with so little drama that you forget they're there.

As far as making them more capable, there is a write-up on here where someone added a feeler gauge onto the existing flat spring that controls the check ball in the VariLok. This made it lock up sooner and maintain lock longer since it slowed the bleed out of the oil.

I'll see if I can find thread that and edit this with a link.

VariLok vs a few others...

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
Powerful Wanderer (wife named it after driving it)
265/70/17 MT, 2" BDS lift
post #8 of 23 Old 09-23-2021, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Thanks everyone I think Ill take CJREX's advise and give the Variloks a try. I'm going to really clean out the fluid and put in the Red Line 57914 75W-140 Gear Oil since it specifically states use in Varilok limited slip right on the label. Not sure but I think my 245's are only 30" or 31" so Im good on tire size.

Looking at my Limited I'm 99.9% sure this rig has never been off road. It is absolutely gorgeous Midnight Blue Pearl, not a single scratch or nick on it. It is 100% cherry on the interior as well. I got it for nothing due to bad 4.7, owner just wanted it out of his garage been sitting in garage for 6 years. The engine puked the timing chain and crashed some valves. We put about $5,000 into Brand new long block I installed. She only has 132K on her.

I'm almost sad to have to put the off road pin stripes on her but IT'S A JEEP. The Desert pin stripes are a right of passage for a real Jeep. Up till now I think she has just been a parking lot princess. PLEASE PLEASE help find the thread about the feeler gauge upgrade.

One last thing if anyone is wondering about Lunchbox lockers POWERTRAX NO SLIP are the best I've ever run. I've tried Detroit Tru Trak, Spartan, Aussie, Eaton and Wolf. None hold a candle to the Powertrax No Slip, it is so seamless and quiet you have no idea its even there. I had over 85K on my Lerado daily driver with the No Slips and nobody ever believed I had lunch boxes installed. They are the huge reason am thinking about an axle swap.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-23-2021, 12:45 PM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

HERE is an article that starts into modding the gerotor valves but doesn't go into a lot of detail (good photos of the gerotor though)

I am striking out finding the article with the feeler gauge mod.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO
post #10 of 23 Old 09-23-2021, 01:19 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
It seems I saw the feeler gauge mod on a Volvo site. Apparently there is a model Volvo that uses a Dana 30 center section and the same Vari Lok diff.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
High speed, low drag
post #11 of 23 Old 09-23-2021, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Anyone else interested in doing any mods on the Varilok here are a couple threads, 3 things I learned

#1 The modification requires removing carrier, Ring Gear and Ring Gear side Carrier bearing.

#2 The modification is to either completely block or severely restrict pressure relief valve opening.

#3 The time and effort involved would most likely be better spent swapping unit for open carrier and lunchbox "Rear" and Detroit True Track or selectable Locker up front.

Reason for #3 is this mod will wear out an unserviceable clutch pack quickly and require an aftermarket LSD or Locker anyway.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...iloks-4340467/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f91/qu...ok-mod-241478/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...hread-4212001/

https://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,12323
CJREX likes this.

Last edited by 2004WJlover; 09-24-2021 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added link
post #12 of 23 Old 09-23-2021, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
2004WJlover

Thank you VERY much to everyone who replied and helped!!!!
Looks like Ill give the stock set up a try, If it works for my style off roading I'm a huge winner and need just to love my WJ from the factory. If it fails I have a TON of work to do swapping out axles. I've been the passenger MANY times of Jeeps with 300+ horsepower V8 Small blocks that never snapped an axle on a fully locked D35 front with 35+ inch tires. I'm thinkin now if I don't like the Varilock's My D35 locked rear will hold up fine to the stock 4.7 in my limited.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-24-2021, 07:37 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
You should do fine with the stock variloks. Last weekend I was out in the soft sand and happened across a newish Ram diesel 4x4 that was dug in to the frame rails. Two good jerks with a tow strap and he was free.

I have a 4.7 with varilok on the rear axle only, she is highly capable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

post #14 of 23 Old 09-25-2021, 07:42 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004WJlover View Post
Thank you VERY much to everyone who replied and helped!!!!
Looks like Ill give the stock set up a try, If it works for my style off roading I'm a huge winner and need just to love my WJ from the factory. If it fails I have a TON of work to do swapping out axles. I've been the passenger MANY times of Jeeps with 300+ horsepower V8 Small blocks that never snapped an axle on a fully locked D35 front with 35+ inch tires. I'm thinkin now if I don't like the Varilock's My D35 locked rear will hold up fine to the stock 4.7 in my limited.
Well seeing there is no such thing as a D35 front axle you must be lucky. When I lived in AZ I hit many of the tough spots along with a few trips up the Rubicon and Moab. Fronts don't break axles, they trash stub shaft U-Joints and I have personally replaced a few of those on the trail. I have also, many times, replaced a broken 35 rear shaft or witnessed it on low power Jeeps with 33's with or without it being locked.

High speed, low drag
post #15 of 23 Old 09-25-2021, 07:56 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

Supposedly the Super 35 kits make the D35 equal to or better than a D44, but I think those are only made for TJs.

2004 GC Overland 4.7 HO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in