1Likes
  • 1 Post By HarryH3

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
bezzat
2004 WJ 

Garage
CV Boot Kit - dimensions

Replacing a rubber- someone has dimensions ?

2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2.7L CRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 07:58 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

I've yet to find an aftermarket boot that will last very long. I've rebuilt both of my CV's with factory boot kits by following the video below. It includes part numbers for the boot kit and for the tools that you need to do the job properly:

I bought the boot kits from Mopar dealers on eBay. They cost $45-50 each, but should last for 15+ years.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM
Glasssplinter
1994 ZJ 

Just out of curiosity why would you spend that much for a boot repair kit when the entire rebuilt shaft can be purchased for less? I've got the same issue on mine and will be replacing the entire axle and hub unless this is a truly better method.

'94 ZJ, 4.0L, 231 TC
Icom V-8000 with 1/4 wave

'01 WJ, 4.7

post #4 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasssplinter View Post
Just out of curiosity why would you spend that much for a boot repair kit when the entire rebuilt shaft can be purchased for less? I've got the same issue on mine and will be replacing the entire axle and hub unless this is a truly better method.
Because in my experience, the POS shaft that you get for that price will last 12-24 months, then you'll be swapping it out again. They use garbage for boots to meet that price point.

The first one that I changed with the OEM boot kit on mine was 3.5 years and 25K miles ago. The other side got changed 2.5 years and 15K miles ago. Haven't had to touch either one since. Every parts-store axle I've ever bought split way sooner than this. (Plus, I still have the original Spicer axle shafts. All of the "New" axles are made off-shore. Rebuilt ones might be Spicer or they might just be parts-store axles that were warrantied out. They slap another $5 rubber boot on 'em and sell 'em again.)
Glasssplinter likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Glasssplinter
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Because in my experience, the POS shaft that you get for that price will last 12-24 months, then you'll be swapping it out again. They use garbage for boots to meet that price point.

The first one that I changed with the OEM boot kit on mine was 3.5 years and 25K miles ago. The other side got changed 2.5 years and 15K miles ago. Haven't had to touch either one since. Every parts-store axle I've ever bought split way sooner than this. (Plus, I still have the original Spicer axle shafts. All of the "New" axles are made off-shore. Rebuilt ones might be Spicer or they might just be parts-store axles that were warrantied out. They slap another $5 rubber boot on 'em and sell 'em again.)
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look at mine since it has been leaking for what looks like awhile and I'm not sure if the bearings are still good. Just bought this Jeep a few months back and have been fixing it when I have a little free time and extra $.

'94 ZJ, 4.0L, 231 TC
Icom V-8000 with 1/4 wave

'01 WJ, 4.7
post #6 of 6 Old 08-06-2020, 11:26 AM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Years ago i got a boot with grease for my drivers side from napa. somewhere around 15 to 20 bucks. it had the look of the factory boots with 5,6, or 7 ridges instead of the ones that come with the "new" axles you get from the parts store
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CTD6...nput=axle+boot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in