Crazy $$ into my 2000 WJ and still need engine, trans, TC - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nkmaynard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Crazy $$ into my 2000 WJ and still need engine, trans, TC

Ok, say I am nuts but I just put a lot of $$ in my 2000 WJ 4.0 but am just getting started. I got the Jeep from my dad so it has a lot of sentimental value. My wife and I recently fell in love with Moab and since the street Michelins were worn out, i figured it was time for some good AT tires. The problem was that if I was going to spend $1000.00 on tires, I wanted some bigger ones. That started the whole crazy process. I took Kolak's advise and went with an IRO 3" short arm kit with Bilsteins and adjustable arms. Replaced hubs and rest of the front end as well as new fwd drive shaft. Went with 17 x 9 wheels and 33" tires by cutting out the fenders and adding bushwacker flares. Got a nice set of heated Corbeau seats (to keep mama happy), Trail Ready front bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch. I installed a Griffin radiator (that is a long story of its own in another post) and Kevin's roof racks for a spare tire and some HID aircraft landing lights. THANKS TO KOLAK, the little WJ drives straight and rides great with absolutely no vibration. It did great at Moab this past year and if I had any regrets it wasn't almost $15k I spent, it was that I didn't go with a little more lift and long arms for 35" tires. But, my little WJ 4.0 has almost 300,000 miles and I am ready to replace the engine, trans, and TC. Although I wouldn't say " money is no object" as you can tell, I want to do it right because some day it will be my (now) 2 year old grandson's Jeep as he is already called it his. He is already a Jeep nut. With the bigger tires, the poor little 4.0 is struggling a bit so I'd love to add a supercharger to a future reman engine but since I live in the people's republic of California, CARB isn't helping me. Banks turbo maybe? I also want lockers. Any thoughts? Before you tell me I should have just bought a Rubicon, I know. But like I said, it has a lot of sentimental value and will someday be a 4 generation WJ. To start, what is a good source for reman 4.0 engines, trans, TC? Are there any CARB approved HP increases out there? Exhaust maybe? BTW, my dad is in his last stages of heart failure and the reaction on his face when he saw what I had done to his Jeep was priceless. It's done very tasteful and everything looks/functions great. That tire replacement sure got expensive though!

WJ60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-18-2021, 11:25 AM
smokeyyank

Swap axles and regrear it, no need to swap in a supercharger or even mess with the engine. Ditch the turdy5 rear and look at going either JK axles, or HP44 and 9. For 35's on the 4slow needs at least 4.56 if not 4.88s. As for a rebuild find a decent machine shop. Shouldn't be more than $2500 for a 4.0 rebuild with R&R but maybe a bit more. Just depends on the shop. T-case and competent shop can refresh those same with the trans.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 10 Old 10-18-2021, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Thanks Smokeyyank. Agree on the "turdy5s" as they are probably already the weak link and any plans for lockers deserve the additional strength. How available are 44s for my application? With the right gears, I could probably live with the engine. Maintaining hwy speeds up the mountain passes on I-70 west of Moab is a chore, though.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-18-2021, 09:34 PM
smokeyyank

Jk axles are around but not cheap. The HP44s are hard to find, I lucked out on my set and got them for nearly nothing but otherwise a few hundred for the front and 9"s are all over. Just want to find a 31 spline big bearing unit. You'll also have to fab the suspension components along with steering and some other things. Not impossible but it takes tools and skills. Also opens you up for more lockers options. If you want a bolt in option this is your "better" bet
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-28...p-jeep-wj.html

Gears you'll be looking at 4.88s minimum possibly 5.13s if you need get over I-70, but also depends where you spend most your time. I know the struggle all to well. My rig can pull 80+ right now up the hill, when I do my axle swap I'll do 4.56s which will be a good spot. If I wasn't at elevation and doing mainly wheeling I'd stay at 4.10s.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #5 of 10 Old 10-19-2021, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Thanks again for the info. The bolt in options from ECGS look like a good way to go. The vast majority of time is spent in the high desert of SoCal, (2000-3000 ft) until I can retire and escape the People's Republic of Ca. Once a year or so we get up to Moab but southern Utah in general is a short day away so lots of highway driving to get to our off-road adventures. I am not building a rock crawler but want a capable and dependable vehicle for mostly moderate/intermediate trails (White Rim, Hey Joe..) but would like to be confident enough for Fins and Things, or Elephant Hill. Maybe even Hell's Revenge some day! Being that I am also building the WJ for my grandson, I don't plan to tear it up either. But then again, who really plans on it, right?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-20-2021, 09:13 AM
smokeyyank

Mess around with this to see where your gears should be.
http://grimmjeeper.com

If you aren't doing a lot high elevation stuff you won't need as deep of gears. 4.88s still probably a good spot to keep driveability on the road but some ompf when you're off.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #7 of 10 Old 10-20-2021, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Thanks again and will do
post #8 of 10 Old 10-20-2021, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
BTW, what is typical for the stock ratio?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-20-2021, 03:47 PM
smokeyyank

3.55, v8s have 3.73

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #10 of 10 Old 10-20-2021, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Nkmaynard

Garage
Smokeyyank, you mentioned going to 4.56s. What gears are you running now and what tire size?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in