Crank sensor? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWJs View Post
Check the grounds and make sure the crank position sensor is OK, but the next thing is to consider the PCM. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post40277927

When it dies next time try to notice if the gauges work at all or if everything is gone including the fuel level. That indicates complete loss of communication between the instrument cluster and the PCM. Then pull the connector on the cam and crank sensors. If you still don't get gauges it's highly possible/probable it's a bad PCM.

If you're interested, PM me, I can likely get you a used PCM programmed to your VIN that's more likely to work than the hit and miss "remans"...
Thanks, OldWJs- It is at the shop right now. They are supposedly looking at it today, we will see what they say. If it comes to that, I will definitely PM you...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 08-28-2018, 05:01 PM
frankjc
1999 WJ 

Sounds like what mine was doing. Stalling. No check engine light, no code using my scanner, but turning the key 3 times, and P0320 showed on the odometer.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjc View Post
Sounds like what mine was doing. Stalling. No check engine light, no code using my scanner, but turning the key 3 times, and P0320 showed on the odometer.
Hmm.. didn't know that you could do that key trick- and P0320 is related to the crank and/or cam sensor, along with a few other things... interesting.

Mine is currently still in the shop. Mechanic has a scanner hooked up and is trying to get it to die while driving so he can see if any codes are thrown then. We will see...

post #19 of 22 Old 08-30-2018, 06:50 AM
frankjc
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoguy80125 View Post
Hmm.. didn't know that you could do that key trick- and P0320 is related to the crank and/or cam sensor, along with a few other things... interesting.

Mine is currently still in the shop. Mechanic has a scanner hooked up and is trying to get it to die while driving so he can see if any codes are thrown then. We will see...
They usually fail at random times. Easy to replace.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-30-2018, 12:21 PM
OldWJs
2000 WJ 

Garage
Some failure modes require it to be hot. I gently use a heat gun and an IR thermometer to get them up to temperature or you could just let it idle with the air conditioning on on a hot day.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-30-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
broncoguy80125
2003 WJ 

Well, the mechanic finally got it to stall out while he had the scanner on it, and sure enough- P0320. Crank sensor. Had him replace it and it seems to be good now- although probably should wait to be sure, since sometimes it would go a couple days without stalling...

Thanks to everyone for the info and advice. I really appreciate it.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-31-2018, 03:44 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good deal and hope it runs forever!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in