Could use some help - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CarlJH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
srdris

Wj Could use some help

Hey everyone, new to the forum here and thought i would get an opinion from other wj owners for an issue im having. So im more new to the wj, have come from owning an zj before and got a deal on a 02 limited 4.7 with a blown motor but rebuilt trans. found another good deal for the 4.7 HO complete swap from the same year and did a quick tune up including timing chains and tensioners, spark plugs, new front and rear main seals, water pump and coolant hoses, pretty much the whole nine yards for the motor so i could get some camping and hiking done in it and not really worry too much on having that 4.7 let me down. but where im from the car has to pass an emissions test to get it road legal, but i have an engine code P1492 that comes up. i know its for the battery temp sensor, and ive replaced the sensor 3 times and have cleared the code with a scan tool everytime but still comes back. ive attached pices of the code itself because im unsure of what the second part of the code means. and ive tried google and just searching for an answer online to no luck but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails
P1492_2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2019, 08:32 PM
CarlJH
2003 WJ 

usually you have current and stored trouble codes, maybe your code reader isn't able to clear the stored codes?
also if you have tried 3 different temp sensors maybe need to check the wiring harness as well for any breaks damage.
Ravenbar and GmanWJ like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Concur with CarlJH. You have replaced the sensor but that did not fix it. You need to check those wires for continuity to make sure the signal that the sensor is generating is reaching its destination. Check the grounds too, if they get crudded up they might lose connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift

post #4 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Robinton

2003 WJ 

Garage
Isn't the ambient temp sensor the one the evic uses to tell the outside temperature?
I don't think it has anything to do with the battery temp sensor.

You're never lost when you don't care where you're going.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

details- never easy....
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
srdris

so before posting i found a link that said how to measure the sensor and from there ended up changing the sensor because it wasnt in the acceptable ohm range. it also said that the voltage going to the sensor should be about 5v, which is what i was reading on my multimeter. from the website "Take the sensor to a location where the temperature is 75 - 80* and measure the resistance. A good sensor will have a resistance of 9,000 - 11,000 ohms.

If the resistance is not correct, replace the sensor. Because of the code and MIL, you probably should replace it anyway. An extra check before replacing it would be to check the voltage applied to the sensor. Connect a voltmeter across the terminals of the harness connector and turn the ignition key to the ON position. The voltage should be about 5 V. If that's not correct, then there is a problem in the connector or, worse still, the PCM.

The BTS is used to determine the battery temperature
and control battery charging rate."

that being said i checked some ground wires and will probably be checking for continuity here shortly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in