Coronavirus - JeepForum.com
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Spyder62

Coronavirus

Just hoping everyone here and their families are safe and healthy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 11:16 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Safe, staying home, going CRAZY - did you look at TV selections lately?

I am feeling stupider just seeing the programs available..
Wabatuckian, Bigrigr and agh3092 like this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 11:32 AM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

Amen to that..

post #4 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 12:12 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

You've gotta stream, JTEC. Don't let the idiot box feed you what it wants. Turn the tables on it!

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #5 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 12:33 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Good debate point.

I see the push to streaming as just creating a new vertical tier a created revenue stream, a collusion ...

Tv was over the air, then cable would expand to allow out of area programming and some new channels. The quality of shows did not change as the networks had compete, the same 'writers' and demographic audience. Ie if ABC went stupid then CBS would have a different selection, ratings would steer programming.

SO now as the 'networks' must compete with streaming WHY have the networks given up?
They see the quality of shows in demand WHY do they not follow the trend?

post #6 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 12:43 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

You cant change the channel when you go to buy groceries and the shelves are empty.
post #7 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 12:44 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

We might get dinged for being completely off-topic here but I think the era of the traditional three or four broadcast networks having any kind of dominance is over. They feel lucky to get any sort of sizable ratings share at all these days. There are just too many choices out there. They are following suit with their own streaming "channels" or "apps" but it seems like now all the companies which were traditionally the media delivery companies have realized that long term the money isn't with delivery but with "original content". With few exceptions, the networks have never really owned the content or created it themselves. They just bought it from other sources through a series of tight contracts. That's all changing now.

ATSC 3.0 will begin real soon and that is going to further shake up broadcast TV. It has all sorts of "features" and some of them are pretty controversial like their ability to track what you watch, where you're located (i.e. - how much disposable income you have) and create targeted advertising as a result.

Coronavirus is a real problem that should be taken seriously but the panic itself is all entirely media-driven which is fascinating to me and kind of scary at the same time.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #8 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 12:54 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

sorry for the off topic...

As I mentioned staying home. And now avoiding the news except for once a day I want the overview highlights WITHOUT commentary.

post #9 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 01:00 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My thoughts initially were that the hysteria was unjustified and media was fanning the flame of drama.

...but as I've come to realize, first, when folks get sick, most use the services available to them as necessary.
If all folks are getting sick all together, or even half of them are, the system will not support us well enough to provide even the basics.

Look what happens when everyone wants to buy butt wipe. We cannot support that either.

I think the reality is that we'll all get exposed to this virus eventually, same as the flu or other common colds and the data of the affected will appear as a bell-curve stretching out from the past few weeks to mid-April.

We collectively need to flatten the peak of that bell curve curve so as not to stress the system or the people that serve in first-responder and primary healthcare roles.

Thus the need to take measures and be personally responsible to prevent spread.
We'll get through this but make no illusions, there will be inconveniences.
Maybe too some additional babies born in 9 months (or divorces) and several long-lasting economic repercussions but we'll get through.

Since I'm just looking at it these days, might as well wash my WJs.

Who's in for a subscription to WJ-TV?
I think Kolak's would be the first commercial I'd ever enjoy seeing!

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #10 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 01:48 PM
rickfaulks
2004 WJ 

Ditto what Double E said
post #11 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 03:07 PM
smokeyyank

As someone who works in healthcare and specifically a hospital I can say this needs to be taken seriously. Covid will continue to mutate and become more deadly if serious precautions are not taken to slow it's spread. Our hospital has been working on prepping since early February and still wasn't enough time. The wave is going to hit and this is just the start. As double E stated the virus itself is part of the problem and to those that think they will not have any serious effects you might be right, but what happens when you or a loved one suffer a non Covid injury and are unable to seek care because they hospital is overflowing, how will it affect your then?
1996maroonzjf likes this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #12 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 03:32 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Covid will continue to mutate and become more deadly if serious precautions are not taken to slow it's spread.
Explain that term mutate - my laymens understanding is unclear, not the same, changing

post #13 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 08:14 PM
smokeyyank

In a nutshell it has to do with the RNA sequencing. Because this is a novel virus and found in animals our immune system does not recognize it. The mutations comes from the fact it is normal something that would transfer form animal to animal, but now it has transferred from animal to human. Now normally it would be something that would stay that way only transfer animal to human. Eventually it would mutate again to be transferred by human to human. Yes, this is was covid is doing now but that took several weeks and what is very scary. H1N1 and Spanish flu did this as well but it took longer because it was slower. So beyond it just changing who is a carrier it has now branched off into two different strains L and S, this making it even harder to develop a vaccine. This virus is extremely slippery and if we dont do something soon it can change again. It will get deadlier and more aggressive in every stage, natural evolution.
jtec and Mattimus_LV like this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
post #14 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Spyder62

God bless you Smokey yank ! You’re on the front lines, brother! My wife broke her ankle a week ago today.( Tibula and fibula screws and plates) spent 3 hrs in er, than off to surgery. I’m in nj and work out of pa. It’s pretty much all around us. The nurses in er were speaking of cases coming in, but until the cdc confirms a case , it’s not official.Most of it is under reported I feel. Due to people not being tested.You people that live in sparsely populated areas are furtunate. You gotta be safe. I believe there are multiple strains out there. Some more deadly than others. Be safe people!!!!
post #15 of 36 Old 03-20-2020, 10:06 PM
smokeyyank

Appreciate it but I cant take credit for doing what our nurses, docs and frontline staff is doing. I work on the admin side dealing with the other issues. It is a real deal and when people in the trenches are telling you s is gonna hit the fan you gotta believe it.

As for the cases in CO currently , I'm in eagle county and our valley of 60kish has the highest rate in CO. So even though we are less populated our tourist is what brought it to us. I live by Vail and during March visitors it number residents 2:1.

04 WJ, 4.7HO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in