Cordless Impact gun, what is a good fit? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 05-18-2021, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Cordless Impact gun, what is a good fit?

I don't have a WJ yet but I bet a cordless impact gun will be good to have. If I mess around with the suspension and exhaust bolts, bigger would be better in most cases but I don't want one too big for smaller tasks.

Is there a Goldilocks size Impact gun for WJs?

I have many Craftsman/Black&Decker 20v Lithium batteries which would be nice to use but I'm not opposed to buying in to Milwaukee or something else if it makes sense.

One small and one large could work if nothing is just right but then I am probably more concerned with budget.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 01:15 AM
JonMopar

Dewalt makes a fairly compact light duty 1/2 gun that’s basically built off of their impact drill. Then of course they make bigger versions for high torque applications

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 01:48 AM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I really like my DeWalt's I have both the small one I use for everything and the 1/2" drive I keep in the jeep for changing tires and larger stuff.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT

post #4 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 02:30 AM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

jfwiw, the "earthquake" impact from harbor freight will rip a car apart,,,WAYYY BETTER than my big air unit

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #5 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 07:03 AM
tjdhudson17890

2002 WJ 

Garage
If its for occasional use I would go with something from harbor freight. If your gonna being using it every day then go with Milwaukee or Snap On. I bought a Ryobi impact and used it every day at work and it bit the dust after 3 months. Then I had the Ryobi warrantied and put it in my vehicle for when I do side work and its been running good for 2 years now.
post #6 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 07:24 AM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

I love my Ingersoll-Rand W7150. It's pretty old now, and it's 1/2" and fairly bulky, but it's never been defeated and you can always find a way to get it into awkward spaces using extensions.
post #7 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 07:42 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

A couple of years ago I caught a sale on Ridgid battery powered tools at Home Depot. If you bought a kit that included a nice, 2-speed drill with drill mode, hammer mode and screwdriver mode, a 1/4-inch drive impact driver, two 4-amp-hour batteries, charger, and carrying bag for $115, you got to pick one additional "free" tool. I chose the $179 1/2-inch impact gun. The thing is a beast. So much so that I only drag out the air hose these days when I need to air up tires or blow dust out of a computer.

The best part about Ridgid is that when you buy a tool that comes with a battery, the tool and battery are guaranteed for life. Have a problem? They'll send you a new battery or fix/replace the tool. You just have to register the purchase on their website when you get the tools. (They don't offer that guarantee for tools you buy without a battery, but not for batteries that you buy without a tool. ??? )
post #8 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

You know I still prefer my air impact, mainly cause the battery's won't die

Homestly though a cordless ratchet would be a good buy. I have done some **** to jeep and the cordless ratchet is handy af.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 01:21 PM
underscore
2000 WJ 

I'd like to find a really compact 120V one. For the occasional work I do, keeping on top of batteries is too much of a pain.

00 WJ
[x] 07 WK CRD/OME/MALONE 1.5 [x] 00 XJ/OME [x] 97 TJ [x] 92 YJ
post #10 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 01:38 PM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
Milwalkee "fuel" impacts are pretty great. The 1/2" does all the big jobs, my 3/8" does everything else.
if you want to go really compact, the 1/4" driver with the slim line cylinder shaped battery is pretty great, and I see mechanics like Eric The Car Guy (on YouTube) use the crap out of his. I don't have one, but I want one: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7083_200757083

2006 Jeep WK on 33ís
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 02:09 PM
Delta0

I'm very pleased with the cheap and cheerful 3/8 angle impact wrench I bought.

It's very handy for light work.
If the fastening is a bit to tight, I pull on the tool by the battery.
I get a bit more leverage than I'd get with a 1/2" ratchet.

I recommend one for own car use where you'd use a 3/8th set.
post #12 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 05:58 PM
apropes
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
jfwiw, the "earthquake" impact from harbor freight will rip a car apart,,,WAYYY BETTER than my big air unit
I ditto this. You can't go wrong with the latest Earthquake from HF. Don't let the snobs steer you otherwise.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited 4.0L 2WD
post #13 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 07:03 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post

I have many Craftsman/Black&Decker 20v Lithium batteries which would be nice to use but I'm not opposed to buying in to Milwaukee or something else if it makes sense.

Thanks.
The Milwaukee stuff is expensive but very well made.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #14 of 34 Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
You know I still prefer my air impact, mainly cause the battery's won't die

Homestly though a cordless ratchet would be a good buy. I have done some **** to jeep and the cordless ratchet is handy af.
I used to have battery problems, with my old NiCd battery powered tools. Every time I would go to use one, I'd need to charge the battery first. The lithium batteries on my Ridgid tools last for months between charges. I've yet to have one die in the middle of a job. The new lithium batteries, combined with brushless motors have really changed the game.

I also have an air-powered Earthquake impact. If you set that thing on high, then either the fastener is coming off or it's breaking off. But I haven't used it once since I got the Ridgid. The Ridgid handles everything I throw at it.

I also have a REALLY old Black and Decker 120 volt 1/2-inch impact that was given to me at least 40 years ago. It can't even remove a lug nut.
Power tools have come a long way!
post #15 of 34 Old 05-20-2021, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post

Thanks.
The Milwaukee stuff is expensive but very well made.
I remember in the 1990s and 2000s Milwaukee corded hand tools were pretty much the best. Now a lot of their stuff is Chinese and near identical copies are available at much lower cost.

I'm going to have to shop Earthquake against Milwaukee... Ridgid will get a look too.

So are 1/2" wrenches too big for any common jobs/trail repairs? Will an extension set solve any size issues?

I have a harbor freight 1/4+3/8" extendable handle ratchet that seems pretty good, hopefully that will cover jobs that a 1/2" impact is too big for.

I'm going to hopefully be doing some off roading on BLM land, hopefully nothing too challenging but kind of out in the middle of nowhere so a tool kit that I can pack any time is a good idea and good for pick-n-pull too.

I have always wanted an Orbital Super Sawzall too, does Milwaukee make a good cordless to pair with the impact? How about Harbor Freight? I guess I should think about a 4.5" angle grinder too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in