Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Coolant System Gremlin

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  carlsondrew3 
#1 ·
For a little backstory, my 2004 WJ with the I6 consistently ran at about 190 for as long as I can remember - the past 6 years to be exact. I got the Jeep from my grandfather, (the original owner) as my first car and have loved it dearly ever since as he did - so it’s been very well taken care of. However, at the beginning of the year the temperature has been running hotter then it’s “usual” spec. As of now it floats back and forth between 200-210. While I know those numbers are of no concern, there has to be a reason for the increase. Now to the actual “issue”. When I turn on the AC on in 95+ heat, the water temp starts to trickle past 210 and float between there and just shy of the first hash mark at 222. Now to what we’ve done to correct the issue and what works: Complete coolant system flush, new thermostat, and washed/cleaned out radiator and the condenser. The radiator was replaced a couple years ago so I know that can’t be the issue and the water pump runs fine as well. Additionally, the electric fan turns on properly when the temp starts to work it’s way to around 210 and when I turn on the AC. Sorry for the ramble but wanted to set the best picture possible. This isn’t the biggest inconvenience as I typically drive with the windows down so the AC is rarely used. However, it would be nice to have it usable for long out of state trips, and to get that non AC original operating temperature back. I’m pretty stumped on what my next steps should be besides replacing the condenser, hoses, or installing a clutch/high performance electric fan. Any advice or guidance is very welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the radiator might be getting some blockage. You might see if you can observe any collapsing of the core, especially at the bottom. Could also be the water pump pulley is slipping a little too.

#5 ·
Good things to chew on thanks to each of you. I ran the AC today at about 85 degrees and was running smooth as can be with no temp. increase - even in stop and go traffic. Might just have a temperamental system lol. We’ll see how things go but with fall coming around and cooler temps with it, might just table this for next spring.

#6 ·
I had a similar issue awhile back, ended up being the electric fan and relay under the driver's headlight. Overtime the fan wears out and starts to draw more power than the relay is intended for, and burns up the relay, this is an extremely common issue with these 4.0 WJs. It may start as an intermittent issue, as you are describing before it stops working completely. Since you do off-road (as seen in your profile pic), I would highly recommend upgrading to a mechanical fan and clutch, as I have found the electric fan just doesn't keep up in off-road situations like long steep climbs.

I noticed slight increases in temperature after lifting and putting bigger tires. I installed a TJ fan clutch and fan, in addition to the current electric fan, temp is always at 190 now even when off-road and ac running in 100+ temps.

#7 ·
Really good to know, thanks for the info. I was planning on going that route and that pretty much confirms I should continue on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.