Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Considering Updating Covers for Dana 30 and Dana 44

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  GmanWJ 
#1 ·
So, I have realized I am not properly taking care of my 1999 WJ Limited and I want to fix that. Here it says I should be doing the front axle, rear axle differential about once a year.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm#AIRFILTER

I am not really interested in pulling off the cover every time, in fact I would like to replace it once and never do it again, so I am thinking of getting a cover with a fill and drain plug. I live in Oklahoma, drive 10 miles to work every day, and drive it to colorado for skiing about 2x per year. I don't really take it off road.

Is this a good idea and is there a recommended cover for the Dana 30 and Dana 44 where I can just drain and fill and never pull that cover off again? I plan to get the lube locker gasket.

#3 ·
Here are a couple choices that I would recommend:

https://www.quadratec.com/search/differential%20covers?f%5B0%5D=sm_field_category_multi%3Ataxonomy_term%3A6092
Look at the Crown Automotive or Rugged Ridge Diffs in Black...These are better armored then stock, and the ones I'm using in my 99' WJ Laredo (Dana 30&35).

https://yourcovers.com/differential_covers.html
These will help cool the Diffs a little better then stock.

Both are a little bigger then Stock which requires a little more fluid, and have fill and drain plugs...If I paid more attention and didn't purchase in haste, then I probably would have gotten these instead (since I don't off road).

Joe

#7 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
A short skim over the internet gave me this:
https://www.4wd.com/p/genuine-packa...-oil-pack-tjd30d35difc/_/R-ADDK1-TJD30D35DIFC

It doesn't specify that those are drain and fill plugs but I would only imagine that those serve no other purpose. I'm not sure what material you were hoping for or a price range but all I typed in was "wj diff cover" and that came up.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks guys, appreciate the help...

#15 ·
#18 ·
It's super thick fluid and tough to extract via suction. The internal magnet will never get cleaned off either, making them less effective over time.

I got covers with drains for both of my WJs. Works great. One is a QD, the other is QT. Same cover bought for both front and rear.
The covers I got use the drain plug as the magnet so it gets cleaned off at a change.

#19 ·
First, I agree that getting a lubelocker gasket is the better way to go. Also, if you do get a new cover be sure it is curved like the stock one as this is designed to facilitate oil flow. Flat backed covers do not flow oil anywhere as well. Look up Banks engineering as they did some analysis and produced videos on this subject.

#21 ·
You don't need to service your differentials every year unless you drive 30K+ miles per year or towing a lot.
When I worked in Jeep dealership that was 30K schedule maintenance service part besides all other fluid replacement on the vehicle. I have '04 WJ Limited with 210k serviced per above intervals and still running like Swiss watch.
Mopar synthetic gear oil is not cheap so knocking stock cover off to be able to clean carrier, ring, pinion and inside diff with brake clean every 2-3 years is way cheaper than buying covers. Just my 2c...

#22 ·
Mopar fluid is expensive. There are alternatives. The dealership probably made it nice and easy for a tech to do all of that.

I'll pay not to have that 3 hour mess while on my back or the floor ...and I end up with a couple of heavy potato chip dip bowls afterward! (Scrub them well.)

Agree on 30K+ for annual mileage and doing diff annual service. 2 years is max for me.

#24 ·
Mopar fluid is expensive. There are alternatives. The dealership probably made it nice and easy for a tech to do all of that.

I'll pay not to have that 3 hour mess while on my back or the floor ...and I end up with a couple of heavy potato chip dip bowls afterward! (Scrub them well.)

Agree on 30K+ for annual mileage and doing diff annual service. 2 years is max for me.
And when I took my WJ to a Jeep dealership for service I lost two rear ends within 70k miles, no towing and light dirt roading. So that's not always a great yardstick.
I stick with Mopar fluid and so far so good, talking about this diff fluid is better than that one is like talking this engine oil is better than that one...to each his own, use what you are felling comfortable with. Really doing diff service on the floor is not that big of a deal, that's how I do it now but like I said regarding gear oil you do what makes you happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.