Cat thieves - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-17-2021, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

Cat thieves

Thieves will steal your cat, beware. Happened to me in broad day light at work. Replaced it with straight pipe to get me by. That was a pain in the butt.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211015_220535.jpg   IMG_20211017_200724421.jpg  

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust

Let's Go Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 07:30 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

One catalytic converter thief got shot dead in Houston last week. Karma...
xjpete, 97Mule, rep-tile and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 09:13 AM
Mr. Bitey
Mopar Nut

2004 WJ 

There is a couple companies that makes cat locks/cages. It would definitely would save a guy the hassle and anger of being ripped off by a scum-of-the-earth-loser. If you Google "catalytic converter locks" you'll come up with quite a few. CatClamp brand is sold at NAPA: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AAGA...&gclsrc=aw.ds&
rep-tile likes this.

2004 WJ 4.7 N, daily driver
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (11.223 @ 113mph)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (sold)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)

post #4 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 01:23 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

They used to hang horse thieves back 100-150 yrs ago. What should we do for cat thieves?
Lol 9-)

Tar and feathers??
rep-tile and Mattimus_LV like this.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT sheople, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #5 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 02:24 PM
forestrat
2002 WJ 

They got me this morning. I just got it smogged here in California so I could likely get by with a straight pipe until 2023. I have to park on the street, so I'm not sure I'm ready to install another one just yet.

| '02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L H.O. | 3" IRO | Bilstein 5100 | 31.6" 265/70/17 | Superchips 3875 | aFe Cold Air |
post #6 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 02:41 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

No doubt. I wouldn’t either and risk another getting stolen right away. Must new ones be welded on or can the be clamped on to pass inspection?

post #7 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 05:24 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I'm sure there must be a way to get a skid plate under there somehow.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bitey View Post
There is a couple companies that makes cat locks/cages. It would definitely would save a guy the hassle and anger of being ripped off by a scum-of-the-earth-loser. If you Google "catalytic converter locks" you'll come up with quite a few. CatClamp brand is sold at NAPA: http://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AAGAG...&gclsrc=aw.ds&
$200 isn't bad. Other options I've seen were easily $300-$400 or more which is ridiculous. As long as it makes it difficult to cut with a hack saw that's what matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
No doubt. I wouldn’t either and risk another getting stolen right away. Must new ones be welded on or can the be clamped on to pass inspection?
I'm not spending $800 on a Cal cat until I figure out a way to safeguard it, you can be sure of that. Doesn't have to be welded, the cat just needs to be there to pass visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
I'm sure there must be a way to get a skid plate under there somehow.
My concern with this option is the lack of airflow to cool the cat that might burn it up. I wonder. Plus they can't see the cat for inspection.

91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust

Let's Go Brandon
post #9 of 24 Old 10-19-2021, 06:31 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

If not required to be welded I’d have a bolt on version to take in and off as needed to pass. Environment is important but you can’t keep putting money in thieves pockets long before you go BROKE with as expensive as these are now a days.

post #10 of 24 Old 10-19-2021, 08:36 PM
V8GCZJ

Check with your state but where i live people who bring scrap to a yard must supply a drivers license. Reason: If something gets stolen and it can be proven that person X brought it to them to cash in law enforcement can arrest them. It's a long shot because all the thief has to do is sit on the stolen product/s and take it there 6 months/year in the future and it won't be on the radar any more. Plus who is going to see if the cut marks match the ones on your vehicle. If the thief is stupid he will take to a local scrap yard the next day or so. If he got yours I'm sure he got more. Wouldn't hurt to look into it. Engrave a #/name or some way of iding it if it gets stolen.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-19-2021, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
If not required to be welded I’d have a bolt on version to take in and off as needed to pass. Environment is important but you can’t keep putting money in thieves pockets long before you go BROKE with as expensive as these are now a days.
Might as well put on something like this. It's decorative. After it passes, I can put it on my Xmas tree. Went ahead and ordered one cause I'm into art. I'd be $50 devastated if it gets stolen.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-i...cat-p-572.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
Check with your state but where i live people who bring scrap to a yard must supply a drivers license. Reason: If something gets stolen and it can be proven that person X brought it to them to cash in law enforcement can arrest them. It's a long shot because all the thief has to do is sit on the stolen product/s and take it there 6 months/year in the future and it won't be on the radar any more. Plus who is going to see if the cut marks match the ones on your vehicle. If the thief is stupid he will take to a local scrap yard the next day or so. If he got yours I'm sure he got more. Wouldn't hurt to look into it. Engrave a #/name or some way of iding it if it gets stolen.
My state is a joke. They don't care about what's right. All they care about is the welfare of criminals. Cops said to file a police report online, which I did. I live in the red part of the state and needless to say they're overwhelmed by this. For all I know it could be organized crime and cats may be shipped out of the country. Bottom line is. All I can do is protect my assets.
leadsled jeep and diverscale like this.

Let's Go Brandon
post #12 of 24 Old 10-20-2021, 04:33 AM
pblanton
1975 CJ5 

Garage
When I was a teenager my older cousin owned a mechanics shop. One of his biggest repeat jobs was to take the cats off of new trucks that farmer's would buy. He'd replace them with a straight pipe and toss the cat in a pile out behind his shop that'd get picked up about once a month. Who knew that someday people'd steal 'em offa perfectly good cars? If you had a time machine you could just go back and take them from him. He'd have been perfectly happy for you to take all you want.

He also had a pile of perfectly good mufflers out back that people would have removed and replaced with straight pipes. Lightly used mufflers and catalytic converters had no value back then. This was back in the early/mid eighties in rural South Eastern New Mexico.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-20-2021, 04:37 AM
pblanton
1975 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
One catalytic converter thief got shot dead in Houston last week. Karma...
Here's the story: https://abc13.com/catalytic-converte...oday/11117063/
rep-tile likes this.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-20-2021, 08:18 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Got what he deserved. Don’t mess with other folks “stuff”. Play stupid games… win stupid prizes.
xjpete likes this.

post #15 of 24 Old 10-20-2021, 01:17 PM
twilkas

rep-tile - pic #2? Fantastic, nicely done!!! what year are we talking here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in