Can You Find Anything Good to Read in this Report on Corrosion in Soldered Joints? - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-10-2021, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Can You Find Anything Good to Read in this Report on Corrosion in Soldered Joints?

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/14961

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-10-2021, 10:05 AM
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Not really but it does help to suggest ways to reduce the electromigration effect.
Try not to join dissimilar metals
By definition solder is a dissimilar metal- best to try and 'match' the solder to the material being soldered. Not always possible. INteresting table showing different solder alloy combinations
Seal the joint from the environment, avoid mechanical stresses.
Electromigration is stochastic in nature....hmmmm hard to believe but that suggests you never know when it will happen. I wish they talked about different rates of migration. At least you would have an idea if it will fail in 10 years or 20, but realistically, how big an issue is this? (in automobiles?)
In general, a doom and gloom situation, just hope you can outlive it...lol
J
Delta0 likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-10-2021, 02:06 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I do remember in the Air Force there were NO soldered joints on aircraft for corrosion reasons. Not being an electrical guy I didn't pay much mind to it but I do remember it being talked about.
Delta0 likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

post #4 of 28 Old 09-25-2021, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
Not really but it does help to suggest ways to reduce the electromigration effect.
Try not to join dissimilar metals
By definition solder is a dissimilar metal- best to try and 'match' the solder to the material being soldered. Not always possible. INteresting table showing different solder alloy combinations
Seal the joint from the environment, avoid mechanical stresses.
Electromigration is stochastic in nature....hmmmm hard to believe but that suggests you never know when it will happen. I wish they talked about different rates of migration. At least you would have an idea if it will fail in 10 years or 20, but realistically, how big an issue is this? (in automobiles?)
In general, a doom and gloom situation, just hope you can outlive it...lol
J
Thanks Three.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-25-2021, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
I do remember in the Air Force there were NO soldered joints on aircraft for corrosion reasons. Not being an electrical guy I didn't pay much mind to it but I do remember it being talked about.
Thanks cD.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-25-2021, 03:46 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ideally solder is not truly a classical dissimilar metal in the sense that, if done right, the solder actually DISSOLVES into the surface of the target creating a diffused instead of sharp boundary. That is, of course often difficult to accomplish effectively in the field.
Delta0 likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #7 of 28 Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 AM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

in a looong list of worrries, soldered wire would be on my last page, at the bottom.
underscore and WJ60 like this.

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #8 of 28 Old 09-25-2021, 02:37 PM
CraigMBAx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
Not for corrosion, but because the solder joint can get work hardened and fail mechanically. A connector won't do that. I've never seen a solder joint on an airplane, but I haven't been around any A/Ps in a long time.

Also, that's my understanding why auto OE's don't solder harnesses.

1999 WJ Limted - Ex Soccer Mom ride turned Rule 25 Compliant Bike Hauler
post #9 of 28 Old 09-26-2021, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Ideally solder is not truly a classical dissimilar metal in the sense that, if done right, the solder actually DISSOLVES into the surface of the target creating a diffused instead of sharp boundary. That is, of course often difficult to accomplish effectively in the field.
Please will you tell us more about the way the solder actually DISSOLVES into the surface of the target Jay?
post #10 of 28 Old 09-26-2021, 03:34 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Please will you tell us more about the way the solder actually DISSOLVES into the surface of the target Jay?
https://www.tch.es/wp-content/upload...rmetallics.pdf

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #11 of 28 Old 09-27-2021, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Delta0

Any chance of you explaining that learned document in simple English for us please Jay?
post #12 of 28 Old 09-27-2021, 04:11 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any chance of you explaining that learned document in simple English for us please Jay?
Basically that molecules from the solder permeate a very small distance into the substrate., which essentially becomes an alloy of the solder and the copper. This is electrically significant because it is not just a mechanical connection but a smooth transition between the materials. When this fails to happen for whatever reason, it's what sometimes is called a cold joint, physically attached but not electrically bonded.
Delta0 likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #13 of 28 Old 09-27-2021, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Basically that molecules from the solder permeate a very small distance into the substrate., which essentially becomes an alloy of the solder and the copper. This is electrically significant because it is not just a mechanical connection but a smooth transition between the materials. When this fails to happen for whatever reason, it's what sometimes is called a cold joint, physically attached but not electrically bonded.
Thanks Jay.

Please will you tell us how to get a correct joint.
That is a joint in which very tiny bits of the solder slink between very tiny bits of the cable / connector please?

Please will you also tell us the type of very bit if the solder gets down and dirty with the very tiny bits of the cable / connector please?

Please will you tell us what sticks a dry / cold joint together?please?

Finally, please will you tell us how to work out if we've just made a correct joint or a bad / cold / dry joint?
post #14 of 28 Old 09-27-2021, 10:22 AM
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Thanks Jay.

That is a joint in which very tiny bits of the solder slink between very tiny bits of the cable / connector please?

Please will you also tell us the type of very bit if the solder gets down and dirty with the very tiny bits of the cable / connector please?

Finally, please will you tell us how to work out if we've just made a correct joint or a bad / cold / dry joint?
Many ppl solder incorrectly. They think that they should just put the solder on the iron and melt the solder. That is wrong. The correct way is to heat the connection with the soldering iron, touch the heated connection with the solder (usually away from the soldering iron) and let the solder flow into the wires. Keeping the soldering iron on the connection for a short period of time (3-10 seconds, depending on what is being soldered) after the solder flows will ensure the bonding. A soldering flux is often used to remove contaminants on the metal. Some solders have a rosin core that contains a small amount of flux in it.

If the metal is heavily corroded, cleaning with an abrasive such as sand paper or crocus cloth is required. The sanding material depends on what is being soldered - fine grit such as 220 is good for wires, crocus cloth is good for contacts such as a motor armature slip-ring or commutator.

A cold solder joint will look crystalline. A cold solder joint can be reworked by applying heat to the wires/connection until the solder liquefies and flows into/around the strands.
J
post #15 of 28 Old 09-27-2021, 10:25 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Jay.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the electronics world more experienced at actually creating good solder joints (many of my joints aren't that good). I'm just covering from the chemistry angle, why it's different from a mechanical metallic join. There is a hell of a lot of good practical info on the web.
Delta0 likes this.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in