2Likes
  • 1 Post By jtec
  • 1 Post By Cantthinkofone

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

Can't get rid of P0305 and P0205

I have a 2004 WJ with the I6 4.0. Iíve been dealing with the P0305 and P0205 code for a few months now and have tried different things to fix it. Some have worked for a short period of time, but the problem keeps coming back. I bought it used, it had about 87,000 miles on it and didn't have any maintenance records on it, so i don't know what had been done to it in the past. After driving it for about 8,000 miles I decided to do some pm on it such as fluid change air filters and spark plugs.

I bought and installed new Bosch 8115 Double platinum plugs. They ran well for about 1,000 miles and even gave me a bit of a boost on the mpg. But then started getting misfires, check engine light came on and it pretty much became undrivable. I checked the codes and got p0305 and p0205. Talked to a friend and he told me that the injectors might be the problem. I replaced them with these and the problem went away for a few hundred miles. The same problem came back. Talked to a coworker that has a jeep with the same motor and he said that the plugs I put in might be the problem because they donít always play well with jeeps. I looked it up and found that many people had the same problem with those plugs. After that, I bought ngk plugs, installed them and everything was fine for a while and again it came back. Got back on the web and bought new BWD tps, ignition coils and new plugs (NGKs). That did not fix it. Rearranged all of the injectors to see if the problem would move with it, but it didn't. I've tried a lot of thigs from previous post, but nothing has worked so far. I am still getting P0305 and P0205. Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Are the new NGK plugs that you installed the ones with the copper core?

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #3 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Mr. Baja

2019 MP Compass 

Looking at the two codes and since you replaced the #5 injector already...could there be an intermittent connector or wiring issue going to that particular injector?

2019 Jeep Compass Sport FWD,
2.4L I4 M-Air Engine,
6 Speed Automatic Transmission.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 12:25 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

the issue is P0205, and that is causing the P0305 misfire.

The P0205* is often an injector WIRING issue,
1st would be checking the connector on #5 injector. The connectors are available separate.
2nd checking the injector driver wire from inj to PCM for, a short to ground, an open.

I suspect a bad connector #5 is likely. Let us know there is more info and other avenues we can look at.

*P0205-INJECTOR #5 CONTROL CIRCUIT
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WJ injectors.pdf (82.8 KB, 5 views)
Cantthinkofone likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
Are the new NGK plugs that you installed the ones with the copper core?
Yes. NGK V-Power Spark Plug (ZFR5N)
post #6 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
the issue is P0205, and that is causing the P0305 misfire.

The P0205* is often an injector WIRING issue,
1st would be checking the connector on #5 injector. The connectors are available separate.
2nd checking the injector driver wire from inj to PCM for, a short to ground, an open.

I suspect a bad connector #5 is likely. Let us know there is more info and other avenues we can look at.

*P0205-INJECTOR #5 CONTROL CIRCUIT
New connector did the trick. Put the new on on, let it run for 20 min and the drove around for about 10 miles. No codes at all. Thank you so much. Hopefully this fix holds up.
Mattyjm likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

Okay, so the problem came back. This time on 4,5,and 6. These are the ones I bought https:// amzn.to/2xUtom3. Unfortunatly tossed the origials. I'm finding very quickly that cheaper parts can cause bigger problems and to save what I take off Until I know the problem has been solved. Can anyone reccomend any from Amazone Prime, Advance auto, Auto Zone, or Pep Boys. Need to have them in and hopefully running by Monday. Fully aware that it might not fix the problem, but I'm a firefighter and I'm renting a car to go to work now. I'll take rock auto recommendation and wait if I have to. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200319-153850_RepairSol2.jpg  
post #8 of 13 Old 03-25-2020, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

I just installed 6 new Standard Motor Products FJ454 Fuel Injectors and that did not fix. Only thing I can think of now is the PCM any thoughts? I'm looking at carcomputerexchange.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2004-jeep-grand-cherokee-ecm-pcm-engine-control-module/prod_155.html and ebay.com/itm/322326450752 as options.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 06:06 AM
Waterluvr
2004 WJ 

Garage
You are dealing with 2 likely suspects causing this, a bad driver in the pcm for the #5 fuel injector or driver wire has shorted to ground and the injector isn't cycling and flowing wide open.

Do a search here for the known issues with rebuild pcm's and save yourself a bunch of trouble, especially with the vendor you referenced. I can program one for you and I have loaner pcm's available free of charge for forum member's to use for troubleshooting if you happen to be local.

Unplug the white connector on the pcm and remove the connector at the #5 fuel injector, ground a test meter and set to the OHM function and probe the driver wire (driver is gray the green is power). If you have continuity to ground on the driver circuit that mimicks the control signal the pcm normally switches on and off to control the injector.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 06:21 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

you are getting p0204 and p0206 but not getting p0304 and p0306?

Are you able to look in 'pending' file for those codes?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
you are getting p0204 and p0206 but not getting p0304 and p0306?

Are you able to look in 'pending' file for those codes?
Sorry taking so long to reply. I'm a first responder and working doubles. I am not not getting p0304 and p0306. The only pending code is P0305.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Cantthinkofone
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
You are dealing with 2 likely suspects causing this, a bad driver in the pcm for the #5 fuel injector or driver wire has shorted to ground and the injector isn't cycling and flowing wide open.

Do a search here for the known issues with rebuild pcm's and save yourself a bunch of trouble, especially with the vendor you referenced. I can program one for you and I have loaner pcm's available free of charge for forum member's to use for troubleshooting if you happen to be local.

Unplug the white connector on the pcm and remove the connector at the #5 fuel injector, ground a test meter and set to the OHM function and probe the driver wire (driver is gray the green is power). If you have continuity to ground on the driver circuit that mimicks the control signal the pcm normally switches on and off to control the injector.
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm in Maryland. I'll give it a try on Saturday when I get off and get back to you. Came across this video. youtu.be/sTX1IUzxOx0 would you recommend something like this if I could grab one at the junk yard?
post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 04:23 PM
Waterluvr
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantthinkofone View Post
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm in Maryland. I'll give it a try on Saturday when I get off and get back to you. Came across this video. youtu.be/sTX1IUzxOx0 would you recommend something like this if I could grab one at the junk yard?
Junk yard modules in original unmolested form are the only source of pcm's I will deal with anymore, they always work right and tend to stay that way after being flashed for installation in your Jeep.

Just find the cleanest soccer mom driven garage kept wreck in the yard, same model/year/drivetrain and make sure the part number on the sticker matches the one on your pcm snap a picture of what you have to reference while out in the yard looking for one.

If you need more troubleshooting help feel free to shoot me a pm with your email.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in