Can the same remote be programmed for multiple WJ Jeeps? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

Can the same remote be programmed for multiple WJ Jeeps?

Does anyone know if the same remote can be programmed to two different WJ Jeeps? I would think it would be possible as the ECU would not know if the remote was assigned to another unit, it just learns the code from that particular remote but perhaps there is more to it than that.

Has anyone ever been able to do this successfully? It would be nice to just have one remote with two WJ keys on it depending on which one I want to drive that day.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 10:00 PM
JonMopar

Short answer: no

Differing frequencies aside, Key fobs don't actually rely on different frequencies to identify themselves. They have digital authentication (let’s call it a “code”) programmed to a specific vehicle, even if those vehicles share the same frequency. Each button has its own corresponding code, so theyl car knows the difference between lock, unlock etc

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 10:10 PM
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
As JonMopar stated, no, he is correct.

I recently added 2 more fobs to mine via the dorman programmer and played around with it a bit while doing such. I can confirm that I had no luck in this theory, anything above 3 fobs also seems to be difficult without one fob suddenly not working after adding a 4th.

You could put 2 fobs back to back in a custom case but probably more confusing then anything at that point

-03 WJ Limited; Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the info..

What I meant was if I have 2 key fobs programmed for one WJ, can I also program the same two fobs to work with a second WJ as well. In other words, if I press unlock on the fob it will unlock both vehicles.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2021, 04:03 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdk771 View Post
What I meant was if I have 2 key fobs programmed for one WJ, can I also program the same two fobs to work with a second WJ as well. In other words, if I press unlock on the fob it will unlock both vehicles.
You sure can, they can be added to as many compatible vehicles as you like the programming code is stored in the passenger side door module.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2021, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
gdk771
1999 WJ 

OK Thanks waterluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
You sure can, they can be added to as many compatible vehicles as you like the programming code is stored in the passenger side door module.

That is what I was hoping was the case. I was planning to put both keys on the same fob and use it for both vehicles depending on which Jeep I am driving that day.

It sounds like you can only program a max of 4 fobs from what others have said but I only currently have two at this point. I might pick up a third one just to have a spare fob. They are all over eBay pretty cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in