Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Can I still drive this?

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  dwmadlynx 
#1 ·
Can I drive this?

Had to take this black protection piece off to access the catalytic converter. Was wondering if I can still drive the jeep like this to the smog place. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Can you? Sure, but it would be a bad decision to do so. That's your crossmember that's been removed, and the part that bolts to it is your transmission mount, aka, the part that holds up the rear of your drivetrain. With the crossmember removed, your engine, transmission, and transfer case are only held up by the engine mounts at the front and your exhaust system hangers at the rear.

#7 ·
Even the "technically you can" responses aren't correct.

No, you can't.

#9 ·
Wouldn't be that harse on them. Everyone makes mistakes while wrenching. It is how we learn. Some lessons are more costly than others, haha.

I'm actually surprised the transmission didn't drop down further without the crossmember. Maybe the driveshafts are being loaded.

#12 ·
Don't do that lol. We all have to learn somehow, and asking questions is one of the best ways to learn. Ignore the comments from some people ^^^. Before I bought my WJ, I pretty much only knew how to change oil, tire, basic maintenance. Now I'm much more knowledgeable. I'd rather do it myself than pay labor at the shop.

I'll add this: I have only been around JF for a year, and enjoy reading and learning about WJ's and Jeeps in general. Boneheaded comments to new members aren't a great way to welcome them and keep them around. Maybe it's just better to say "if you don't have anything nice to say, just keep your mouth closed."

He asked IF he could drive it, he didn't say he had already took it on a cross country trip. Geez.

#13 ·
Defiantly NOT an idiot. You asked the question, and got some answers. ( In a way). But you did the right thing, You weren't sure so you asked. An Idiot would be on the side of the road with his transmission dragging on the ground going "I don't understand how that happened".
Everyone here has probably asked the same kind of question. I know I have asked a few beauties myself like just how deep is that pond ,to which they replied drive in and find out yourself. And so begins the lessons on hydro lock and ignition water proofing.
Find a good manual on your vehicle, Drive out to the lake set up your camp and lawn chair and read. And don't stop asking questions
Been offroading since the 80's off and on and I still ask Questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.