Caliper pistons sticking/not releasing - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
wjkeith

Garage
Caliper pistons sticking/not releasing

I’m having an issue with my right front caliper. The pistons aren’t releasing. I’ve replaced it and after a short drive today I think it’s still an issue. I visually inspected the flexible brake hose and it appears to be ok. Can these fail from the inside out? It’s the only thing I can think of that would allow fluid to travel backwards.
Also, the pistons on the older caliper couldn’t be pressed back in even when I tried to do it with my bench vice. Never saw such a thing.

Last edited by wjkeith; 04-04-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 09:19 AM
riverzj

Did you grease the slide pins good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
It is possible to have the inner lining in the brake hose peel away and block the flow of fluid back to the master cylinder. This almost always creates excessive drag when spinning the wheel in the air. It's also very possible for the caliper pistons to seize in the caliper bore creating faster wear on the brake pads over the other side that is releasing. This can make it hard to compress the piston to reset it for new pads. If i had either of these issues i would be replacing the calipers first, and always change the calipers in pairs. Both sides have the same mileage, and if one has failed the other is probably not far behind. Calipers failing is very common these days, and the failed hose much less common, but if you want to be sure, change both calipers and both hoses at the same time. It wouldn't be unreasonable now that these Jeeps are 20 years old
riverzj and Wabatuckian like this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 09:44 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

hoses on wj look like A REAL REAL JOB. if you can get at them...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #5 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
hoses on wj look like A REAL REAL JOB. if you can get at them...
Try taking the heater core hoses off your firewall on the 4.7 1 handed that's a real pita.
jtpeters and 2oldjeeps like this.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
wjkeith

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
It is possible to have the inner lining in the brake hose peel away and block the flow of fluid back to the master cylinder. This almost always creates excessive drag when spinning the wheel in the air. It's also very possible for the caliper pistons to seize in the caliper bore creating faster wear on the brake pads over the other side that is releasing. This can make it hard to compress the piston to reset it for new pads. If i had either of these issues i would be replacing the calipers first, and always change the calipers in pairs. Both sides have the same mileage, and if one has failed the other is probably not far behind. Calipers failing is very common these days, and the failed hose much less common, but if you want to be sure, change both calipers and both hoses at the same time. It wouldn't be unreasonable now that these Jeeps are 20 years old
18 months ago I replaced calipers, pads and rotors. Iím of the same school of thought when it comes to replacing 20 year old parts. Change all related components if possible. The calipers are recons from AutoZone. Maybe got a crap pair?
post #7 of 23 Old 04-04-2020, 11:49 PM
BigMateo
2004 WJ 

The passenger side front brake seized up on my WJ, after taking it apart turned out it just needed new slide pins. I cleaned the dirt and grime off the caliper with a wire brush, made sure to grease the crap out of the pins and while I was at it put new pads on. Not an issue any more.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 12:40 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Thats interesting that those calipers are recent. They should definitely not have problems yet, unless they got REALLY hot. Could be just autozone junk....No amount of grease will help with a caliper piston that is seized in the bore....

Autozone isn't my favorite, but maybe because i just haven't ever used their stuff, but i suggest if you go back there, to get their best stuff ONLY. Top of the line semi-metallic pads are all i use. And their best grade calipers for sure.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
wjkeith

Garage
Could something in the abs system cause the pistons to not relax? A few times in the recent past Iíve felt the abs pump come on while braking. Dry roads, no panic stop etc.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Blackwater5dad
2004 WJ 

Garage
Does the caliper release when you open the bleeder screw?
That's usually the easiest way to tell if the problem is due to trapped pressure from a bad hose or something further up.

I had a caliper suddenly start dragging on my old dodge Dakota a few years ago driving home from work. I opened the bleeder on the side of road, fluid shot out and caliper released. I pinched off the brake hose with a pair of vice grips and continued on my way. Replaced the brake hose and all was well.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

BlackwaterVB5dad
post #11 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
wjkeith

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater5dad View Post
Does the caliper release when you open the bleeder screw?
That's usually the easiest way to tell if the problem is due to trapped pressure from a bad hose or something further up.

I had a caliper suddenly start dragging on my old dodge Dakota a few years ago driving home from work. I opened the bleeder on the side of road, fluid shot out and caliper released. I pinched off the brake hose with a pair of vice grips and continued on my way. Replaced the brake hose and all was well.

On the caliper that was seized I tried to compress the pistons in my vice. No go. I think the issue is upstream. Master cylinder failing?
post #12 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 09:32 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkeith View Post
On the caliper that was seized I tried to compress the pistons in my vice. No go. I think the issue is upstream. Master cylinder failing?

I guess it COULD possibly something with the ABS, but im not sure what exactly. If you have a seized caliper piston, i cant figure anything with the ABS causing it to lockup. I can see an issue with the pressure not releasing back to the master cylinder possibly resulting from ABS faults, but not the piston seized. Opening the bleeder screw while you are off the brakes like mentioned before, is a good way to tell if you have residual pressure getting stuck at the caliper. Master cylinder could be clogged with gunk and not allowing the fluid to return as well....what does the fluid look like? If it has moisture in the fluid it may cause things to corrode on the inside? This would also swell up all the rubber seals in the system and cause weird things to happen.

post #13 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 12:43 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

It could be the phenolic resin lining in the caliper.

You replace worn brake pads. To do that you push the caliper pistons back into the caliper body. You replace the pads slap, it all back together and think you are good to go. Unbeknownst to you every time you hit your brakes the caliper tightens up the brake pads on you rotor....BUT does NOT back off since the phenolic resin liner I mentioned has curled up behind the the caliper piston. Each time you hit the brakes it gets tighter! Look at your brake rotor. Is it a bluish-reddish color!? Replace the rotor, pads and caliper........;-( Those front calipers suck.
2oldjeeps likes this.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #14 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 03:03 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

you said,
"On the caliper that was seized I tried to compress the pistons in my vice. No go. I think the issue is upstream. Master cylinder failing?"
caliper is frozen !!! right there is problem...
laybackman and coldspit47 like this.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #15 of 23 Old 04-05-2020, 05:06 PM
Blackwater5dad
2004 WJ 

Garage
By vise, I assume you have it off the car?

If so, as 2oldjeeps said, the piston is seized or stuck on the caliper.

BlackwaterVB5dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in