Cabin air filter and housing write-up - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Cabin air filter and housing write-up

I bought my 04 WJ 4.7 Limited a few years ago and wish I would have installed a cabin air filter back then. I live in the woods with a 800' steep/windy gravel drive.

I'm convinced all the tree pollen, limestone dust, road salt dust/calcium sand dust, etc., has caused some mode door problems. And I don't need the AC evaporator to become clogged like on my other Jeeps. Those are my main reasons for installing a cabin air filter besides the inside staying quite a bit cleaner.

I realize there's other cabin air filter threads around along with some good videos out there. Just thought I'd pass on my experiences with photos which turned out a little more complicated.

The list of tools is very simple and will be spelled out with the photos.

1. I purchased the below Mopar cabin air filter (82208300), which includes the housing along with filter, from Amazon for a total of $47.

2. The quality of the housing is not very impressive at all with the top latches not holding the cover on tight leaving gaps.

3. Here's the 3 pieces laid out including the housing, filter and front cover. Note the 3 tabs on the bottom of the front cover which fit into the 3 slots on the bottom of the housing.

4. The 2 plastic push-fasteners come with the kit for attaching the middle of the housing.

5. Originally I thought the filter housing was already on under the cowl then found out later it is not and no WJ/WK comes with one. I had already bought the below WIX filter which looks identical to the Mopar. At least I have a replacement and part numbers for replacements are on the filters.

6. Finally the install. Remove the 3 fasteners from the passenger side cowl and there are 2 long ones along with a short one under the wiper arm. I used a T-30 torx but some will lift the cowl up loosening them.

7. Open the hood and remove the cowl weather-strip by pulling it forward. I remove the whole strip to get it out of the way.

stevenHtx likes this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhilipB; 07-23-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

8. Lift up passenger side of cowl and you can see the factory cover which will be discarded. Pry out the end with a flat blade screwdriver.

9. It's best when you pry out that cover to put your left arm/hand behind the fasteners so they don't end up popping out and going down into the air intake. Then I just used a pair of needle nose pliers and broke the fastener tabs from the cover by twisting them. The cover should then pull out towards the fender.

10. Here's the back of the fastener you don't want falling down into the air intake.

Stop. At this point many directions say to just slide in/attach the new filter housing, filter, and front cover. But I saw some tree debris and dirt under the cowl so removed the wiper arms along with cowl altogether to vacuum it out. Glad I did and will explain why.

11. After removing the plastic covers on the wiper arms I marked the ends of the wiper arm studs to line up with the notch in the arms.

12. I also put painter's blue tape on the windshield where the wiper blades ride to make sure the arms go back on in the same position they came off.

13. I didn't have any kind of puller that would fit on the arms. I removed the nuts using a 15mm socket and extension. Then sprayed with some rust cutter while letting it soak a few minutes. Then put the nut loosely on and put a pair of channel locks on them for a good grip. The center arm popped right off but on the drivers side I just taped the bottom of my channel locks with a hammer tap and it came right off.

14a. Then I just pulled the whole cowl off setting it on the windshield since didn't want to mess with washer hoses.

14b. As can be seen with the cowl and factory cover off the HVAC intake is only on the outer side.

post #3 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

15. For the life of me I could not get the plastic clip on the new housing to stretch out far enough to go behind metal! The metal is beveled back in and was afraid I was going to break it. Sure enough I did! Grrr...

16. Had no choice and drilled a hole through the housing/steel and installed a SS sheet metal screw with washer on it. This photo also shows the middle push fasteners installed in the middle of the housing.

17. It should be noted there is no clip/fastener on the end part of the housing towards the middle of the engine compartment. Why not since there's a perfectly good oval hole behind it? I drilled a hole through the end of the housing.

18. Then installed a 1/4" x 3/4" bolt though it with a big fender washer, lock washer, and nut on the backside. Easy to reach the back with a wrench.

19. New filter installed in the housing.

20. The cover installed on the housing. Sure don't like those big square holes in the top where the latches are to let rain/water in!

21. Also don't like the gap you can see on the top where the front cover doesn't fit tight to let water in.

22. I used a good brand of electrical tape (Scotch 33) to cover all the top gaps and holes while believe it will hold.
Can't really see the tape on the photo since it blends in.

End of photos and reassembly is reverse as when you started.
- position cowl back on the wiper arm studs.
- install plastic fasteners in the cowl top by pushing on.
- install wiper arms with marks/tape lining back up.
- install cowl weather strip and you're done.

While I try to go with Mopar like I said earlier I thought the quality would be a lot better. For lower costs you may want to try filterheads.com where they have a AQ1097 kit which looks almost identical for $28. It also comes with a filter but not sure if filter quality is the same.

Sorry for the long-winded thread and hope it helps somebody. Good luck!

post #4 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 04:58 AM
roelof
2004 WJ 

Garage
Thank you, my cabin air filter is coming by post all the way from the USA. should have been here already yesterday, so says USPS, as it is right hand drive getting the filter housing in will be difficult, so your pictures and explanations have come handy.
post #5 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 05:56 AM
alfaitalia

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roelof View Post
Thank you, my cabin air filter is coming by post all the way from the USA. should have been here already yesterday, so says USPS, as it is right hand drive getting the filter housing in will be difficult, so your pictures and explanations have come handy.
Difficult?.....Impossible I would have thought. The housing will be the exact reverse of the shape we would need in a RHD model like ours. I looked into it....but short of cutting it to bits and plastic welding it back together, I did not think it would be a goer. The filter is the same however......so that's why I have removed the original plastic grille from the opening in mine and had the bare filter aluminium taped over the whole for the last twelve months.....so far so good! Would be interested to see if/how you can make it work though.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #6 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 AM
roelof
2004 WJ 

Garage
Does the filter have an aluminium backing? that would make it a much easier proposition, then I could forget the housing, I thought of using double sided tape to afix the housing the other way around.
post #7 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 07:37 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
Excellent write-up! Added to the FAQ!

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #8 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Does the filter have an aluminium backing? that would make it a much easier proposition, then I could forget the housing, I thought of using double sided tape to afix the housing the other way around.
In researching I've never seen a RHD cabin air filter housing and you aren't going to be able to flip the housing around.

There's no aluminum backing on the filter and it's just all filter material. Don't think 2-way tape is going to work since just a thin filter material edge. You'll probably just have to tape the filter on flipped around as alfaitalia already mentioned. Good luck.

post #9 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Excellent write-up! Added to the FAQ!

Thanks Chris, appreciate it!

post #10 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM
jeepsterpitt
2001 WJ 

huh, I didn't know you were supposed to take the wiper arm off. I had plenty of room just lifting the cowl up. I will say this, mine has been in for years and every 6 months, it gets changed because it looks like this>
post #11 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That's the reason I wrote after #10 and before taking the wipers off:

"Stop. At this point many directions say to just slide in/attach the new filter housing, filter, and front cover. But I saw some tree debris and dirt under the cowl so removed the wiper arms along with cowl altogether to vacuum it out. Glad I did and will explain why."

It didn't help the clip must have been defective and broke where I had to drill/use a screw under where the clip was. The bolt w/washers I installed on the driver's side housing end may not have been necessary but that's where the fine dirt/dust was and wanted to compress the foam gasket tight.

Thanks for the photo and that filter is dirty! I'll need to check mine before winter.

PS. I installed that housing/filter last week since knew what was coming. Now all my Jeep have a sticky yellow coating from all the tall pines/spruces putting out pollen. Exactly what I don't want sucked down into the HVAC box.

post #12 of 73 Old 04-19-2016, 11:56 PM
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

There are several posts saying the housing fits RHD upside down.
post #13 of 73 Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Jeepwalker1
1987 XJ Cherokee 

At the very least, a mesh screen over the opening should be added to keep rodents out. I had rodents get into my land rover opening, very much like this one, and it was a huge pain to get all the nest and smell out. The cabin filter and housing would definitely help....

'87 XJ Snow Plow Truck, '95 ZJ, '03 WJ Overland, '98 Land Rover Discovery
post #14 of 73 Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM
roelof
2004 WJ 

Garage
I bought the housing and filter in the USA as our local dealer did not know such a filter was available, nor did the part numbers show on his computer, now I understand. Still, remember reading in a post of an Australian guy about the installation, he managed with not too much trouble. Will wait till the package arrives, and my car is back form the mechanic (new engine mountings and propshaft), and then will try in peace and quiet. As I am not mechanically minded at all, if I do not mange I will do like alfaitalia, taping the filter directly over the inlet. Will post even do it will perhaps take a while. I hope it works, have had the car only a year, driven only over weekends close to 15.000 Km on dirt roads only, and it is no fun when there is traffic.
post #15 of 73 Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
There are several posts saying the housing fits RHD upside down.
I read one post on this and would like to see someone post a photo of the install? If installing on the RHD with filter housing upside down the thicker face of the end of housing would end up where the cowl/metal is slopping down. It's a tight fit in there anyhow and not sure how it would fit?

Quote:
I bought the housing and filter in the USA as our local dealer did not know such a filter was available, nor did the part numbers show on his computer, now I understand. Still, remember reading in a post of an Australian guy about the installation, he managed with not too much trouble. Will wait till the package arrives, and my car is back form the mechanic (new engine mountings and propshaft), and then will try in peace and quiet. As I am not mechanically minded at all, if I do not mange I will do like alfaitalia, taping the filter directly over the inlet. Will post even do it will perhaps take a while. I hope it works, have had the car only a year, driven only over weekends close to 15.000 Km on dirt roads only, and it is no fun when there is traffic.
Perhaps roelof since you're getting the housing/filter kit you can see if that housing will fit upside down on your RHD and let us know? I'm having a difficult time imagining how it would even fit.

Sounds like you need the cabin filter with driving on all those dirt roads!

PS. I also have a real problem with rodents here Jeepwalker1 chewing on all my Jeeps but luckily no nesting going on in them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in