Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Brakes Heating Up

512 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  noeffort 
#1 ·
My son's 2001 Grand is having intermittent issues with what appears to be sticking calipers primarily on the front drivers side but on occasion the rear passenger brake as well. When it has happened, you can tell by the smell and the rotor is much warmer than the others.

As mentioned it doesn't happen every time he drives it. Sometimes it will go for a week and not happen. I am beginning to wonder if its the master cylinder acting up?

I am going to pull the drivers side front caliper and check the slide pins and make sure something isn't going astray there.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

#2 ·
Because it's opposite corners of the vehicle, you may just have sticking calipers. When both rear calipers stick, then often it's a failing center brake hose. If just one side sticks, then that caliper is probably shot.

In the case of the front driver side, there's something related to just that side. Have a look and see if it's the slide pins. You'll know by watching the caliper with someone in the driver seat to work the pedal. That brake hose could also be failing inside and it's not letting the fluid pressure back out of the caliper.

#3 ·
I literally just replaced all my brakes. One of my rear calipers got stuck and ate through the pads and it was metal on metal grinding. I had the same thing happen on my last wj. So i ended up replacing everything except the front calipers. All new pads/rotors front and rear and new rear calipers as well.

#4 ·
Update - I pulled the drivers side front caliper and one of the two cylinders was froze up. I replaced it and based on a short drive it seems to be OK.

I do have another question, long before the caliper issue the brake pedal seems to be pretty spongy feeling and excessive travel before braking. There are new rotors/pads all around 3,000 miles ago. I don't have any fluid leaks that I can find. I wonder if its the master cylinder?

Any thoughts on that issue?
Thanks,
Tim

#6 ·
Update - I pulled the drivers side front caliper and one of the two cylinders was froze up. I replaced it and based on a short drive it seems to be OK.

I do have another question, long before the caliper issue the brake pedal seems to be pretty spongy feeling and excessive travel before braking. There are new rotors/pads all around 3,000 miles ago. I don't have any fluid leaks that I can find. I wonder if its the master cylinder?

Any thoughts on that issue?
Thanks,
Tim
You've probably got air in the lines if you can't find a leak. Look closely at where the rear center brake line connects to the rear center brake hose. That location is right in front of the driver's side rear wheel, right around where the lower control arm connects to the frame. If that's not leaking, rebleed any lines that could have gotten air in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.