Brake Wobble. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2021, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Wobble.

Okay with all bump DW cured.
Working on the Brake Wobble.
Last night installed one new Rotor and had other turned.
Removed Calipers, and pins, and lubricated pins, etc.
So rotors are running true, at 52+ mph, still getting
some braking wobble. Doesn't go into full DW.
I'm guessing the only option now is bite the bullet,
and replace the calipers with the newer design from 03/04?
All bushings appear good, drives perfect.
Last hurdle to have my 99 Laredo completely sourced....
Suggestions? Something might have missed?
The JK Trackbar bushing (Frame side) really took all
the bump DW away...

Quit Facebook.
Gab: Jeepers
Mewe: Arkansas Jeeps
my stable:87 XJ, 2k WJ, 88 MJ, 91 YJ, 09 JK...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2021, 10:19 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Take care of the inevitable and go for the upgrade now vs later....seems that is the only way to eliminate the problem completely. I understand even the later ones can shake but the chances are much less. I have an 04 that I replaced the entire system on, from hoses to pads 2 years ago. Some of the best money spent on the rig.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include IRO SYE and Woods DS
2006 Crown Vic Interceptor SOLD
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2021, 02:03 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

How much lift Caish?

post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2021, 02:11 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
So..to be clear, you are saying that you get brake wobble when your 52mph or above when braking? but nothing under that speed?

Does it shake in the steering wheel as well, or just in the brake pedal? Did you do the brake work on the front or the rear? there are 4 rotors on these Jeeps. One of the other two could be the culprit.

Its highly reccomended that you change rotors in pairs, the one that is turned now will be much thinner than the new one, and will warp much easier than the new one, and can cause a brake pull.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2021, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbuggy View Post
How much lift Caish?
RC 4" I think, no paperwork, 1" crossmember drop, drop pitman arm, and drop trackbar bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
So..to be clear, you are saying that you get brake wobble when your 52mph or above when braking? but nothing under that speed?

Does it shake in the steering wheel as well, or just in the brake pedal? Did you do the brake work on the front or the rear? there are 4 rotors on these Jeeps. One of the other two could be the culprit.

Not through the pedal, no surging,
Just feels like a minor death wobble starting above 52mph.
six months ago I did brakes front and rear, but not rotors....
Things being what they are, and other as as a driving project,
just got back to the calipers and I did have a very slight warped rotor feel, why I replaced the one.... only felt it in gradually slowing...

I'd be really surprised tjhat a rear rotor would cause a death Wobble feal, I've had Jeeps last 10 years, XJ, JK, ZJ, WJ, so know all to well what a DW feels like, this is the only one thats ever had a braking death wobble.

One under 52 mph stop as hard as you want and its happy.
Sucks that there is no salvage yards close by, its an hour to the closest one in Little Rock. When scrap went $10 hundred ten years ago, all the local yards crushed out. Can't blame them they had fields full of $50/$100 cars that was now worth $300 to $500 ...

So Calipers it is..

The Brake inspired DW feel goes away when you rel the breaks so it never stays unless on the brakes....

Last thing if wondering its got JK 17" wheels and a set of JK Goodyear Wranglers. 255/75/17.
My WJ/JK together,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nr17T52rFKF219DP9

Quit Facebook.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
Okay with all bump DW cured.
Working on the Brake Wobble.
Last night installed one new Rotor and had other turned.
Removed Calipers, and pins, and lubricated pins, etc.
So rotors are running true, at 52+ mph, still getting
some braking wobble. Doesn't go into full DW.
I'm guessing the only option now is bite the bullet,
and replace the calipers with the newer design from 03/04?
All bushings appear good, drives perfect.
Last hurdle to have my 99 Laredo completely sourced....
Suggestions? Something might have missed?
The JK Trackbar bushing (Frame side) really took all
the bump DW away...
I'd move front wheels & tyres to the back.
And vice versa.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2021, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
I'd move front wheels & tyres to the back.
And vice versa.
This is not a Tire/Death Wobbgle issue, this is a brake inspired DW, there is even a TSB on it, just making sure I covered the bases before spending $150 replacing calipers and new pads...
I've had more Jeeps than most the last 10 years, become a Death Wobble expert on regular one, the WJ is the only platform I've seen that had braking cause DW....

Quit Facebook.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2021, 03:37 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I Still say you have a warped rotor then... the rear rotors will definitely cause a pulsation in the brakes(this generally is what this condition is called, not brake death wobble) front brakes do the majority of the braking to stop the vehicle, but the rears apply first when you step on the pedal. If they are pulsating, and you are feeling it in the steering wheel, then it is usually the rear rotors. Calipers do not cause a pulsation by themselves. They only create situations that would warp a rotor if they go bad. The warped rotor is what pulsates.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2021, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
I Still say you have a warped rotor then... the rear rotors will definitely cause a pulsation in the brakes(this generally is what this condition is called, not brake death wobble) front brakes do the majority of the braking to stop the vehicle, but the rears apply first when you step on the pedal. If they are pulsating, and you are feeling it in the steering wheel, then it is usually the rear rotors. Calipers do not cause a pulsation by themselves. They only create situations that would warp a rotor if they go bad. The warped rotor is what pulsates.
There is no pulsing in the pedal. So its not a warped rotor.
I do have a bad wheel speed sensor, just no idea what one.
Forgot to mention that the ABS light comes on,
curious because leave the lane, speedometer will be sluggish only register upoto maybe 25 mph, then you come to a complete stop, for a second, and the abs light comes on and speedometer works normal.

I vaguely remember a thread on WJ speedometer is driven off a wheel speed sensor, but been a while and forgot what one, left front maybe? Was a thread about recalibrating a speedo for larger tires, and using a box made for motorcycles or something, been several years since I read it, so working from memory.
Got me wondering if ABS module doesn't see both front wheels moving the same speed will it brake one side more than another, though it doesn't pull left or right when stopping. So no signs that the actual issue.
then my OBDII reader won't read ABS codes on the dang ABS system.
I was looking at one Oreillys sells that claims to read the CAN bus, didn't want to waste $50 on it if its no better than the one I have........

Quit Facebook.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2021, 12:52 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
This is not a Tire/Death Wobbgle issue, this is a brake inspired DW, there is even a TSB on it, just making sure I covered the bases before spending $150 replacing calipers and new pads...
I've had more Jeeps than most the last 10 years, become a Death Wobble expert on regular one, the WJ is the only platform I've seen that had braking cause DW....
Can you guarantee your original problem in this series didn't cause uneven tyre wear?

How much does it cost to rotate your tires?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in