Brake/Emergency Brake issues - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-25-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
aerovette99

Brake/Emergency Brake issues

Hi everyone.

I am having issues with the emergency/parking brake. I pulled the emergency brake and the part that goes to the actual brake looks great, as does the balancer. I couldn't understand why the ebrake was not engaging. To make a long story short, I pulled the wheel, caliper, and rotor, only to find that there was NOTHING there. No shoes, no ANYTHING. Even the part at the top where the shoes meet was nearly gone. Whoever had the WJ before me apparently welded, or jammed the cable ends into the place where the cables come in.
Bigger problem. It seems that almost noone has the backing plate, or whatever the hell that the emergency brake consists of. The part where the cable attaches that activates the shoes is so torn up that the entire set of rear brakes pertaining to the parking brake needs to be completely replaced. The disc side (typical rear brakes are fine and stop the car normally. I just can't believe that there was NOTHING inside the rear rotor. Where can I get these parts. Seems like I can get just about any other jeep brake parts, but not the 2001 WJ

Attached Thumbnails
2020-03-03 13.37.02.jpg   2020-03-03 13.36.16.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
That looks near normal to me? I just had mine off on my '99, and the "backing plate" looks the same. You just need the upper piece that connects to the cable,(between the tops of the shoes), hold down pins, keepers, and upper and lower springs.(Usually comes in a hardware kit all together). If your cables are messed up, obviously you need them as well. Looks like someone just removed all of it and left it empty. Wrecking yard is a cheap option....
aerovette99 likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #3 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 05:20 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Agree with what Bigrigr is saying and that is pretty bad of the previous owner to abort all the parking brake parts. But they are still available and your choice if you want to buy new parts or go to the jy?

Luckily your backing plates are still in place since it requires the rear axles to be pulled to change them out. Here's a write-up I did on changing my backing plates/dust shields out.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...te-up-4349385/

That top piece you have missing which goes between the shoes is called a "Lever, parking brake" and the OE number is 5011994AA. Rockauto only has 1, QuirkParts has 2 but closed, and the Mopar online sites or ebay will charge you about $40 each with shipping included. That's pricey and the jy is looking better all the time if you can find ones not super rusted.

That lever is kind of interesting to figure out since the weight on the end of the cable goes into the back part where it looks like a couple hooks then the whole thing folds up where it then slides onto the cast piece at the top of your photo. You may have to look around for a video.

Some other OE numbers for your 2001.

Cable, right rear: 52128118AC or AE
Cable, left rear: 52128119AC or AE

If you want OE/Mopar cables they're about $26 each plus shipping on Rockauto.

Raybestos hardware kit H7306, $11.54 at Rockauto, includes both sides; spring kits, pins, clips, adjusters (2), etc..

I'm partial to Wagner theromoquiet PAB807 parking brake shoes and they're $28 plus shipping on RA. You could go with cheaper shoes at almost the half the price but it may not hold as well.

On your rear ebrake cables spray lots of rust cutter in the hole they fit into on the back/front of the backing plate. They should just pull out once wiggled loose and double check the ends are screwed up. They may not be and check if they move inside of the outer shield/casing.

I don't buy anything at Rockauto w/o using one of the below top discount codes. And you enter the code in the box which says, "How did you hear about us?" when you check out.

https://www.retailmenot.com/landing2/rockauto.com?networkType=search&keyword=%2Brockaut o%20%2Bdiscount%20%2Bcodes&network=g&matchtype=b&c ontent=&search=1&creative=258736578888&placement=& adpos=&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campai gn=%5BEMAIL%5D_%5BAUTOMOTIVE%5D_rockauto.com_%5BG% 5D_%5BBMM%5D&utm_content=[AUTOMOTIVE]_rockauto.com_Discount_Codes_[G]_[BMM]&utm_term=%2Brockauto%20%2Bdiscount%20%2Bcodes&SID =_k_Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZpw01jlkpBnB6EWW_aWBc eW3nnz8DyYUprsGJBJJjNEx1TEpWxygaoaAiy8EALw_wcB_k_& ch=cpc_e&attributedOutclicks=694739515_35502877866 _aud-327425307765:kwd-26761294403_258736578888_c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiA RIsAHHzyZpw01jlkpBnB6EWW_aWBceW3nnz8DyYUprsGJBJJjN Ex1TEpWxygaoaAiy8EALw_wcB

5% off isn't much but helps pay for shipping.

You could probably buy a lot of this stuff locally, except for the 2 levers, if the stores are open. It isn't as bad as you think and good luck.
WJeepster, aerovette99 and Bigrigr like this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
aerovette99

You guys are AWESOME. Thank you so much
post #5 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
aerovette99

Isn't this piece here shown with the red arrow supposed to have a notch cut out for the shoes to go into, or does the shoe just rest on each side? I also wish I had a photo of the lever installed with the cables, so I understood how and where it goes on
Attached Thumbnails
2020-03-03 13.37.02.jpg  
post #6 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 02:07 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
I think that notch is supposed to be there. This pic might not be that helpful, but you can kind of see what it looks like reassembled in this pic I took removing my axle shaft. I think maybe @Uniblurb has a thread around here with lots of details about parking brakes.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #7 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
aerovette99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette99 View Post
Isn't this piece here shown with the red arrow supposed to have a notch cut out for the shoes to go into, or does the shoe just rest on each side? I also wish I had a photo of the lever installed with the cables, so I understood how and where it goes on

Update. I found a poor photo, so the last question was answered in regard to having slots.

Next question..There are 2 cables coming to the backing plate, but I only see one real entrance for the cable to go into the "Lever, parking brake" shown below.
Sorry for so many questions, and THANK YOU so much for taking the time to help. You guys are wonderful.
Attached Images

post #8 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

IIRC, this video has some detailed shots of the rear parking brakes as he changes them out:
aerovette99 likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette99 View Post
Update. I found a poor photo, so the last question was answered in regard to having slots.

Next question..There are 2 cables coming to the backing plate, but I only see one real entrance for the cable to go into the "Lever, parking brake" shown below.
Sorry for so many questions, and THANK YOU so much for taking the time to help. You guys are wonderful.
There is a ABS sensor wire/cable coming into the back of the backing plate connected to the back of the sensor. Then there's the parking brake cable going through the metal cast piece which was seen in my backing plate change out write-up.

Like I said before it's a little difficult to figure out how the shoe lever attaches to the cable. I drew some instructions on the below photo you posted. You open the hinged part up, slide the cable end through the part which has 2 hooks on the end, then snap the pivot/hinge shut. From there you then slide the whole lever onto the metal cast tab sticking out.

@GmanWJ I did a complete write-up on the ZJ parking brake system but never did one for the WJ. It has a whole different shoe lever part instead of the lever/cam system on the ZJ.

Below is the altered photo and sorry for the unsteady hand in drawing the cable which comes in from the backing plate. Lol.
Attached Images

aerovette99 likes this.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Great job HarryH3, Uniblurb and Gman.
My two cents would be this...according to Uniblurb's diagram, i unfolded the "double hook" end of the shoe lever and pointed it straight at the cable end coming through the backing plate. Once the cable end is inserted into the double hook, then just fold the rest of the lever assembly ontop of the cable end and slip between the two shoes. Just be careful to take it slow and easy as you fold, so the cable end doesnt slip out. Once the lever is flipped over and the cable end(on the double hook) is tucked up inside, it cant fall out. There is a spring inside that holds pressure on everything to keep it from coming out. The dangerous part is when you begin to "fold" the lever. If you turn or twist it, it will let the cable end slip out. Dont ask me how i know....Clear as Mud? Be prepared to walk away a couple of times and bite your tongue. If you leave the axle shafts installed, installing all of these parts in a tiny space can be frustrating! And the springs are stiff! (i got one side of mine all put back together the first time after an hr fight, and then the friction material "popped off the front shoe.....sonofabi^&*!......had to take it all apart and start all over with new shoes) Good luck
aerovette99 likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #11 of 19 Old 03-27-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
aerovette99

You guys are OUTSTANDING. Thank you so much for the support. This forum is AWESOME!!!
post #12 of 19 Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
aerovette99

OK.. I have an update, and am still in need of some expertise.
I am trying to figure out how to remove the rear parking brake cable. I sprayed the nub that is still sticking in the hole, but don't want to mess anything up by pile driving it out. The lines are pretty stiff. Would love to get a video on this, but haven't found any. I am assuming that this cable was cut, and the remains are stuck in the hole.
Here are some photos. I did get the new shoes, hardware kit, and the 2 parking brake levers. The parking brake levers appear to sut sit into the opening, with the shoes, and cable holding it into place. Here are some photos. I have yet to buy the rear cables.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-04-02 13.58.38.jpg   2020-04-02 13.58.28.jpg   2020-04-02 14.00.03.jpg   2020-04-02 13.59.26.jpg  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-02-2020, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
aerovette99

Here are 2 more photos
Attached Thumbnails
2020-04-02 13.58.28.jpg   2020-04-02 13.58.38.jpg  
post #14 of 19 Old 04-02-2020, 02:37 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

There are typically a set of tangs that lock the cable housing end to the backing plate. You just shove it into place from the back and the tangs engage. I can't tell from the pics how the WJ one is held in place. Sometimes you can squeeze the tangs in with a pair pliers and then pull out the cable. But yours look pretty rusty.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

There's nothing holding that cable outer housing metal collar into the back of the backing plate hole other than rust. Try taking a razor knife and cut/score the rust where it meets the backing plate hole then soak it with more rust cutter. Then you can try to put a pair of vise-grips on the backside metal tight while trying to rock it, twist it, or pry it out.

I've also used a little heat like propane torch on things like that cast but don't melt the cable. If all else fails it sounds like you may use an old bolt or large round punch to drive it out from from where the lever normally goes. Looks like you live in the salt/rust belt like me and good luck.

PS. for installing those clips and springs I found a small 4" pair of needle nose vise-grips like below work best. But the price is high where a Lowes would be cheaper. Of course it may be best not to go to stores and have shipped to your home.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYD9A..._t1_B00004SBB2

Edit: Harry could be correct there may be a set of tangs on the metal part of that cable where it goes in. But when I replaced my backing plates the cable end housing just pulled out and went back in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in