Brake Disc Replacement Question - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uniblurb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
CarolineW

Wj Brake Disc Replacement Question

I have a 1999 WJ and in April 2018 the front right (passenger side) wheel had its disc, pads and caliper replaced. Yesterday I had a Michelin place here in Mexico where I live look at the wheels and have been told that the disc and pads on the front right have to be replaced. Again!!

This seems out of whack with the actual mileage done in the last year, which was lower than normal as I just use it locally. However driving conditions are not good once off the highway, the roads are rough and bumpy and Mexico has some vicious speed bumps as well.

Any thoughts on why the same wheel has got a repeat brake parts issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 09:41 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
They really should be done as a set at the very least so the fact you're just having one wear out would lead me to believe you have a sticking caliper on that side or some other mechanical issue contributing to excessive wear.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good question and it is odd the right-front caliper seems to stick/seize more often than the other 3 calipers from what I've seen here in the past year. This includes myself along with about 4-5 other members although it took 6 years for mine to seize while road salt likely had something to do with it.

Since you're right front caliper seized after only 1 year you may want to consider replacing the right front hose assembly like the below one for the 99. The hose itself could be weak and collapse causing the caliper to seize. Or you could just have had a bad caliper to begin with which would eventually fail.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=402&jsn=402

The above hose assembly is $28 plus shipping but don't know what shipping and handling is to Mexico. The say it doesn't include the washers but would be pretty darn cheap of Wagner not to include those 2 brass washers where the line connects to the caliper if that's what they're talking about. Good luck.
CarolineW likes this.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 04:33 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I had an original factory Teves caliper on my 2000 WJ sticking on the front right side. I replaced both hoses and front calipers with Akebonos from AdvanceAuto. Almost exactly one year later, that front right caliper failed again.

AA warrantied the caliper, so I swapped it out for another new one and it's still on there.

2002 Laredo. Baloo.
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

There you go Mattyjm, and with Harry having his right front caliper seize below it's officially a conspiracy!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post40678117

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
CarolineW

The Ads on this site are TERRIBLE! I have to wait five minutes to get these huge ads to finalize loading, having to scroll over and over again before being able to access the Quick Reply box!

Anyway, this is to thank you for your tip about a possible sticking caliper and the wheel brake system in total is going to be checked out a second time by another mechanic on Friday morning. Plus will check all other brakes.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
CarolineW

Thanks very much for tipping me off about the brake fluid hose system. It will be checked on Friday morning, plus caliper, to see if that is the cause of the uneven and too rapid wear.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i check daily. at any stop,shift to neutral. you should drift right now even when it seems flat!!
no drift?, something is dragging.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
CarolineW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
i check daily. at any stop,shift to neutral. you should drift right now even when it seems flat!!
no drift?, something is dragging.
I don't get this at all. In neutral no gear is engaged so why would it move anywhere except under force of gravity? I have put the car into neutral at stop lights sometimes in order to not have to keep foot on brake pedal. But I will do what you suggest, not at a stop light, on a section of flat level road and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in