• 1 Post By Mr. Bitey
  • 1 Post By Mr. Bitey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2020, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Boosting Pressure on RFE

Hello,

Anyone know how much pressure is safe to boost the RFE tranny? I've got it shifting where I want it at about +50psi increase.

Shouldn't be an issue, right?

Josh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-17-2020, 07:53 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
And how did you accomplish this boost in pressure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
And how did you accomplish this boost in pressure?
Sonnax RFE booster, and one that used a resistor only.

My idea is to boost the initial pressure using the resistor, and the Sonnax unit gives an increase after that according to load, from what I understand.

Josh

post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Mr. Bitey
Mopar or Nocar

2004 WJ 

Where are you getting 50psi from? The Sonnax kit only gives up to 25psi at high pressure over stock and that's if you use the included pressure regulator spring. Have you programmed mods to the trans as well?
Wabatuckian likes this.

2004 WJ, 4.7 N, daily driver.
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (in progress)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (trailer queen, 9.466et @ 144mph)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

The mods are not programmed yet, and shouldn't need to be because of the way the Sonnax operates. However, I'm purchasing a scanner in short order which will be able to put the transmission into quick learn mode.

I'm using the Sonnax RFE unit on top of a resistor unit. The resistor raises it 25 max, and the Sonnax unit raises it 25 max.

I don't like doing it this way, feels like hacking. However, since I'll be spending money on an advanced scanner in short order, I'll likely not have the funds for a performance programmer for a bit longer than I would otherwise, and therefore chose this route for the time being.

Josh
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2020, 12:01 PM
Mr. Bitey
Mopar or Nocar

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabatuckian View Post
I'm using the Sonnax RFE unit on top of a resistor unit. The resistor raises it 25 max, and the Sonnax unit raises it 25 max.
Sonnax units aren't supposed to be used with other mods. At least that is what Sonnax says. It likely will work fine - they might just say that because they can't guarantee the results of their product when used with other mods. As far as how much pressure is too much, I can't find anything that gives a definitive limit. But I do know the 545rfe is far more beef than the 4.7 needs and will take 400+ hp and/or ft/lbs without complaint...

I am content with the torque mod delete on mine so far - no changes to shifts unless I am to the boards and beatin' on her. I do have an HO slated to be rebuilt - when that build goes into service I have my eyes on the AirRam Stage 3 valve body for a fresh(ish) 545rfe with a stall for those snap-happy shifts and childish tire screamin' launches....
Wabatuckian likes this.

2004 WJ, 4.7 N, daily driver.
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (in progress)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (trailer queen, 9.466et @ 144mph)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)
post #7 of 8 Old 10-19-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bitey View Post
Sonnax units aren't supposed to be used with other mods. At least that is what Sonnax says. It likely will work fine - they might just say that because they can't guarantee the results of their product when used with other mods. As far as how much pressure is too much, I can't find anything that gives a definitive limit. But I do know the 545rfe is far more beef than the 4.7 needs and will take 400+ hp and/or ft/lbs without complaint...

I am content with the torque mod delete on mine so far - no changes to shifts unless I am to the boards and beatin' on her. I do have an HO slated to be rebuilt - when that build goes into service I have my eyes on the AirRam Stage 3 valve body for a fresh(ish) 545rfe with a stall for those snap-happy shifts and childish tire screamin' launches....
I have a Sonnax reinforced accumulator plate in my current valve body, and I have another valve body that I'll be rebuilding with a shift kit and reinforced accumulator plate. I don't want to put it in this transmission as it currently sets, however. I'm still deciding whether I want to learn to rebuild an automatic tranny or just order one for $1600. I'll have to save my pennies either way.

Faster shifts apparently help save clutch material, and I've always preferred fast shifts.

Josh
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bitey View Post
I have my eyes on the AirRam Stage 3 valve body
The core charge is 450$ lol the modification is 325$ thats pretty insane lol

have you put this in a wj?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in